PDA

View Full Version : Ported heads . . .

studio460
05-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Well, I picked up a copy of the July 2003 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords and started reading it cover-to-cover. The "Ask Bernie, Yo Ken" column on p. 37 suggests Power Heads or Ford Racing heads as the most direct route to obtaining an additional 80-85 horsepower for a reader's '97 GT.

An article of special note is Richard Holdner's superbly written "Under Pressure" column on p.32. For those planning to install superchargers, he explains the case for first making the car run as well as it can, normally aspirated, which in turn allows you run with LOWER boost pressure, and still achieve the "maximum amount of airflow available from the supercharger." His logic is simple and direct. This has made me reconsider the ported heads option more seriously.

Aftermarket head manufacturers are claiming HP increases of up to 75. I'm just not knowledgable enough about these kinds of products. Who are some of the leading manufacturers? One ad on p. 227 sounds good. It's from a company called "AFR" who claims, "AFR's trademark 3/4" thick deck makes them ideal for nitrous or blower applications."

At about $1,350 a pair, complete with parts, high-flow aftermarket cylinder heads appear to offer a fairly good bang-for-the-buck ratio. How much is a head install likely to cost? What other issues are there to consider with an aftermarket head?

RF Overlord
05-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Holy mackeral...

$1350 a PAIR for 32V heads, ported and polished, with all the hardware?!... dayum...

cyclone03
05-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Your going to make me get the Mag out of my car.

In yo Bern. they're talking 2 valve mod motor not our 32v.
Nothing short of ported stock heads is available for our 32v.

The AFR's are for push rod type small blocks 286,302,5.0 and 351w's.In no way will they bolt to our 4.6's.

studio460
05-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Oh.

jgc61sr2002
05-25-2003, 06:54 PM
Thats a lot of work and $. IMHO you would get more bang for the buck by getting Dennis Rienhardt's Mods.

SergntMac
05-26-2003, 07:50 AM
I spoke with a couple of real engineer type wrenches from VT Competition Engines, and they said the 32 valve heads were ported perfectly right out of the box and if I asked them to do anything to the heads, they would be stealing my money. Considering who this advice came from, I believe it.

mensrea
05-26-2003, 07:57 AM
Sarge, I respectfully disagree with VT. This year Ford came out with a set of FR500 heads and valvetrain, which includes Tulip valves... I have seen people get a decent increase using the heads, Ford Claims an increase of 60 horses with heads intake and exhaust..
part number m-6049-T46 (bare)

If I had the funds, I would invest in a set and try em out.

cyclone03
05-27-2003, 05:41 PM
I too disagree,
No stock production head will not respond favorably to a pro porting job.

How much,I don't know,will it help the low end,I dought it.Help on top oh yea.
Help with a blower yup.
Help you get to 300 at the wheels,oh yea.

Dennis Reinhart
06-01-2003, 05:45 PM
It has been proven that the OEM stock 4 V heads are marginal at best, first of all the early Cobra and Marauder 03 heads had issues, but Ford has not acknowledged it, but it has been proven with just a good valve job on a stock motor you can gain as much as 20 RWHP, but this is expensive, right now I suggest two ways to go with the Marauder motor. If you are planing on staying N/A go with good rods and forged 11 to 1 pistons a good port and polish on the heads have the lower intake port matched and extrude honed ARP fasteners Billet oil pump gears and possibly after market cams, if you are going S/C go the same way except Cobra steel crank 9 to 1 pistons windage tray for all at serious power then I would punch the block out and have it sleeved.

TAF
06-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Sound interesting Dennis, please check your PM.

mensrea
06-02-2003, 04:17 AM
Dennis,
What do you charge for the forged internals, and do you do them in house?

Dennis Reinhart
06-02-2003, 05:40 AM
I have a ford enginier do all my Motors and a complete long block with the heads PP start at 6k

SergntMac
06-02-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by cyclone03
I too disagree, No stock production head will not respond favorably to a pro porting job. How much,I don't know,will it help the low end,I dought it.Help on top oh yea. Help with a blower yup. Help you get to 300 at the wheels,oh yea.

What can I say, it is what I was told.