PDA

View Full Version : Mercon V questions

SlkMerc
10-20-2006, 12:26 PM
I just had a trans fluid exchange and they used an additive that converts mercon to mercon V. Did I get hosed? I googled it and found that there is such a thing. Comments?

Power Surge
10-20-2006, 12:38 PM
I just had a trans fluid exchange and they used an additive that converts mercon to mercon V. Did I get hosed? I googled it and found that there is such a thing. Comments?

Mercon V is a factory synthetic fluid. No "additive" can change Mercon into Mercon V.

On a side note, Ford now has one fluid that takes the place of both. It's pretty much just Mercon V with a different label, because it can be used on most Mercon applications.

Drock96Marquis
10-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Lube Guard makes an additive that converts Mercon to Mercon V.

It is *NOT* the same, though. All the additive does is add the friction modifiers to make it meet Mercon V spec. The fluid itself is stil not a semi-synthetic like mercon V is.

This means it will perform and shift correctly, however, life of the fluid, and fluid overheating protection is reduced somewhat drastically.

The 98+ panthers have a large transmission cooler, but having a fluid that is more resilient to heat is always better.

If you had it done at the dealer, they liekly just dumped a bottle of Friction Modifier (what you use for an LSD) in there.

The shop did it this way because Mercon is like 1/3 the price of Mercon V... basically more profit for them.

I would take it back, and have it done RIGHT.

RF Overlord
10-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Drock is exactly right.

IMHO, you have 2 choices:

1). (preferred) Take it back and make them use real Mercon V. (good luck)

2). Leave the current brew in, but change it out after 15,000 miles or so and put real Mercon V in after that. You should then be able to go the full 30,000 with no worries. This option will not harm your transmission in any way; the "modified" fluid now in your transmission has the same frictional characteristics as real Mercon V, but is nowhere near as robust and will not live as long under the same circumstances.

Alternate option: DIY. Install a transmission pan with a built-in drain plug and do a drain-and-fill every other oil change or whatever schedule is convenient for you. Once you have clean fluid in there, a full flush is no longer necessary for routine maintenance.

SergntMac
10-20-2006, 01:26 PM
I agree 100 percent with RF ^ there...If you're driving a stock tranny and TC, you should be okay. If you have an aftermarket tune/TC with adjusted shifts, you are prolly pouncing on the throttle a tad more than the average driver. If so, I would change RF's suggestion to 10K miles.

SlkMerc
10-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Ok I took it back an hour ago, taking all your suggestions and common sense of my own. They will exchange the fluid for free. I just bought a case of Castrol Mercon V...$50. I definately felt a difference in the way it shifted with the " Almost Mercon V" I agree with Mac on the early fluid changes etc, it just makes me feel better. Can I get a source for the trans pan w/drain plug? I checked Art Carr's and $150 seems outrageous. Any thoughts are appreciated. Also, still no tune yet. Its a stock calibration.

Donnie

Death to all that use snake oil to make Mercon V!..Water into wine? WTF??

RF Overlord
10-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Can I get a source for the trans pan w/drain plug? I checked Art Carr's and $150 seems outrageous. The Art Carr pan is a very high quality unit and is worth the money if you need it. Same for the FRPP pan. With a stock transmission and stock tune, either of these pans would be overkill. I recommend the Ford "U-Haul" pan, part #F8UZ-7A194-AA, lists for about $96 at any F/L/M dealer and available for a mm.net discount from Dennis or Ray "The Dealer". This pan is identical in every way to the stock pan, with the addition of the drain plug. Makes DIY changes much simpler and MUCH less messy.

SlkMerc
10-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Ok, had the knuckleheads remove the " Fake Mercon" and refilled with castrol mercon V. I immediately noticed a difference in the way the car drove. Is this plausible or do I have the " Car runs better after its washed " delusion?

Donnie

mrjones
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Another question in this same vein. I have a 97 F150 with the 4r70w that calls for Mercon. 98 and later require Mercon V. I've got the dreaded torque convertor shudder, which went away after I flushed and refilled the tranny, but it's coming back. Would it be recommended to flush and fill with Mercon V? I thought I read something somewhere that Ford went back and said to use V in the 97's.