PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Amp

2003_MM_FYRE49
05-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey all,

I searched the threads but wasn't able to find anything on amps for our stereo heads. Is there a company that makes them? If so, how is the quality, and what is the wattage? I think this is just the thing to wake up our stereos.

Tim :)

Mad4Macs
05-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Hi...The heads in the MM's do not have RCA pre outs. There are ways to get around this. 3 I'm aware of are ;
1) Replace the deck
2) Buy an amp with (high gain?) inputs
3) Install your deck to an amp using Hi to low line-out converters.
AND, for Petes sake, Don't mention factory radio's around here ; IMHO, most all factory installed decks, Audiophile or not, suck and beg to be replaced.
Yeah, it's just an opinion. No :flamer: please.
Hope this helped...

2003_MM_FYRE49
05-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Actually Mad I wouldn't mind replacing the radio if I knew there was a way to connect it to the steering wheel controls. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,

Tim

mensrea
05-28-2003, 06:50 PM
yeppers, they make an interface that can connect to an aftermarket radio and still use the wheel controls, it's like a hundred bucks or so... at least that's what my friends at Circuit City said when they were hooking up the XM radio in my car before AutoWeek took it (by the way Auto Week LOVED the XM)...

the fat bastid
05-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by mensrea
yeppers, they make an interface that can connect to an aftermarket radio and still use the wheel controls, it's like a hundred bucks or so

good to hear! thats one reason i dont look foward to replacing the HU, i really like the streeing wheel controls (first car with them), and how it dims buttons that you dont need on HU when not used a particular mode.
oh, and not wanting to rip into a new car. :)

MAD:
don't forget line drivers. going from stock hu to a speaker wire-in line driver (and have the out be rcas)

although, like mad said, if you want an uber-system you'd need to go full after-market.

Warpath
05-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Try searching or posting on http://www.sounddomain.com for info on the adapter or recommendations. Its an automotive sound system website. I haven't looked at it too much. But, I am told it is one of the best car audio sights.

I agree with the stock radio is crap statement. I have the Mach 460 in my Cobra (supposedly the best Ford radio). Its terrible and gets distorted at the middle volume level. I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket one and kept the same amps and speakers. It was night and day. It sounds so much better.

My personal opinion is to ditch the entire stock system even if you lose the steering wheel controls (and you have the money). Most aftermarket head units come with wireless remotes now some of which are steering wheel mounted.

jnyreb
05-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Mensrea,

I can't find that harness anywhere. I called sound domain and they sent me to schosche directly, who didn't know what I was talking about. CarToys in TX is installing an alpine radio with XM as we speak and they say they know of no such harness that would allow me to use the steering wheel controls.

I'd really appreciate your help with this. Can you tell me who makes the harness and possibly the part number or something else that would help me get one??

If you'd send me an e-mail at saxguy1us@yahoo.com I'd appreciate it as I'm about to leave the office and won't have access to the board for about 4 days. I can still get e-mail, though.

Thanks in advance!!

vaderv
05-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Thats it sheeple pay for radio....ummm radio...in his best Homer Simpson voice. Just like cable you'll be buyin commercials before ya know it... Like you sheep have not seen this before. THINK PLEASE...:rolleyes:

XxColdAzFireXx
11-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Warpath
But, I am told it is one of the best car audio sights.

My suggestion, find a local car stereo expert, not someone from places like circuit city or best buy, and talk to them, you might pay a little more at times, but it's worth it for the personalized service. In Miami, there are a lot of circuit city's and best buys, as well as a lot of independent dealers. I have found one that is actually honest and knows they're stuff. And anytime I've had a problem with one of my alarm systems or sound systems, I take it back to them and they usually fix it for free or for a very minimal cost. I send all my friends who want alarms or sound systems to them. Their selection is limited, however, to Directed Electronics and Audiobahn. I do know the benefits of online stereo places, but I would never buy anything from. Most of them do not have any warranty or guarantee. So I do not suggest it. Of course this is my opinion. I much rather see people support their local independent dealer. Let's keep the "mom and pop" businesses alive.

bigslim
11-04-2003, 09:55 PM
I know MI2QWK4U put a Directed Audio Python DEI4200 amp in his. He also upgraded the speakers with Kenwoods and put in some sound matting. It sounds real good. Tones are real crisp.

Brutus
11-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Try this link

http://www.scosche.com/scosche/connectors/FDK3.asp

I think this may solve your problem.