PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging and a stock transmission

boomguy
10-25-2006, 08:47 AM
The question here is for anyone who has supercharged their car had transmission problems? If so, please let me know what problems you've had and what you did to correct it.

I have an 05 CV LX Sport with an AED Supercharger on it and lost one of the forward clutches in it. I'll know more when I talk to the mechanic later this week.

sailsmen
10-25-2006, 08:58 AM
I have an S/C and Bullitt Proof trans w/ no probs.

In 60K miles on my wifes E150 w/ no towing we had 3 4R70W trans.

DEFYANT
10-25-2006, 09:14 AM
I believe we share the same transmission. 450HP is the limit. Over that and your on borrowed time.

Rider90
10-25-2006, 09:17 AM
I believe we share the same transmission. 450HP is the limit. Over that and your on borrowed time.

I believe Charlie means 450 RWHP, not to be confused with Crank HP.

jim geary
10-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Just to be on the safe side. I went with a stage 2 trans upgrade from
Dennis R. Great investment.

Bradley G
10-25-2006, 09:28 AM
How many miles S/C'ed? Total?
What are the symptoms?

magindat
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Just to be on the safe side. I went with a stage 2 trans upgrade from
Dennis R. Great investment.

+1. Not only good investment but good fun factor, too!

DEFYANT
10-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I believe Charlie means 450 RWHP, not to be confused with Crank HP.

Yes! Thanks for clarifying that!

boomguy
10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
AED 9 psi. 12,400 mile on the car, less than 500 in the blower. It was installed by Scott Graves at AED. He had it for a couple of months then drove it about 350 miles from Ventura, CA to Livermore, CA to deliver it to me. I had drivin it less than 100 miles when It just plain lost overdrive . . . then drive. I was on a road trip with 4 adults and a full trunk with the cruise control set at 70mph when the car acted as though it shifted into neutral. I was able to literally "limp home" and had to complete the trip in my wifes Honda.

I'll talk to the service guy later this week and get more of the scoop.

Cheeseheadbob
10-25-2006, 02:41 PM
As with any high performance mod, it will decrease the standard life expectency of the engine/drivetrain. That is a given. Either you accept the fact that you may be spending a decent amount of money down the road to repair, or you stay mostly stock. In my case, I will drive my car to its limits, and then fix it when it breaks. Not if it breaks, but when. I have taken measures to increase the time I can expect to drive my car in its current iteration, but am fully expecting to spend some serious money when it breaks.

Tom Doan
10-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Boomguy, don't feel bad, I had mine done by a trusted national big name that is local and the same thing happened, 110 miles,no fourth, no abuse, limpped in to "Nowhere SC", good story. Trans good now but was better as a centrifical S/C trans. Tom

FordNut
10-25-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm on my 3rd. This time I bit the bullet and bought a built tranny from LenTech. Rated @ 1000 hp, ought to last me a little while.

Taemian
04-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm on my 3rd. This time I bit the bullet and bought a built tranny from LenTech. Rated @ 1000 hp, ought to last me a little while.

Hmmm....did the Lentech die? I'm looking at a new trans as well, trying to find a good vendor.

Blackmobile
04-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Stock Transmission and a SC'ed engine = Bad MoJo - with a time limit.

Ed

FordNut
04-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Hmmm....did the Lentech die? I'm looking at a new trans as well, trying to find a good vendor.

Sort of, it never shifted as hard as it should but it still worked. Then I tried BC and it was much worse. The best 4R70W tranny I ever had was an Art Carr kit I bought from DR, installed by the Bradshaw Bro's @ Team Ford in Marietta GA.

Bradley G
04-22-2009, 07:22 PM
I got 45K miles with the Trilogy, on a stock trans.
Lot's of drag racing.
My power level is probably 370- 380 RWHP, I am still at stock boost.
I do service it @ 15 K intervals:burnout:

merc
04-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Things that bring on our transmissions

Stub shaft
Snap ring
Clutch packs
rear tail shaft seal

I am sure others will add to this list.

Horse power will cause some of the problems but not all. Most tuners like to increase line pressure to give you that manual transmission feeling. That leads to clutch replace quicker then expected. High stall converters will increase heat so upgrade your cooling system. 4:10 gear will cause you to service the tail shaft until you balance or replace the drive shaft. :burnout:

There is no such thing as a bullet proof transmission,they all will fail. The same is true of engines. We attempt to harden the parts and decrease the percentage of failure.

Darrin
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Sort of, it never shifted as hard as it should but it still worked. Then I tried BC and it was much worse. The best 4R70W tranny I ever had was an Art Carr kit I bought from DR, installed by the Bradshaw Bro's @ Team Ford in Marietta GA.

This is getting old.

Brian has NEVER had a BC Automotive transmission in his car or anywhere else. So, he knows not what he speaks of at all. EVERYONE that I have built one of my transmissions for will tell you a FAR different story than old Brian here will. Just ask them.

I honestly don't know what his problem is other than I am available for him to take out his misplaced frustrations on. Obviously that's wrong, but how do you stop it? Some people just seem to get off on messing with others. Misery loves company you know.

This should be obvious, but for references on my transmissions and products one should ONLY listen to those who actually have one of my transmissions or products.

Darrin

FordNut
04-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I paid you $1800.

Oh yeah, I have talked to some folks on other forums that had similar experiences.
Always quick to help until you got their money, then all of a sudden no answers.

Darrin
04-24-2009, 04:16 AM
I paid you $1800.

Oh yeah, I have talked to some folks on other forums that had similar experiences.
Always quick to help until you got their money, then all of a sudden no answers.

You did not purchase a BC Automotive transmission or product from me or anyone else. So, you have absolutely ZERO experience with one of my performance transmissions or products. What you did was force me to attempt to repair something that you bought from someone else and that is very much NOT the same as one of my transmissions. I don't build junk like was brought to me and I tried to do my best to make what you had work. Don't forget to tell people that the transmission itself did work. That wouldn't be fair or truthful you know.

We can go over it and over it, but the bottom line will always be that I did what you asked me to and what you wanted was impossible. Let's also not forget to mention the fact that J, the 4R70 God himself, then tried to make you happy by going through that transmission again at Dennis's shop and HE couldn't even make you happy with it. For crap's sake man, he partially designed the frickin thing originally and couldn't get it do do what YOU wanted it to.

Actually I don't think the problem was ever with the transmission because pretty much everyone and their brother tried to 'fix' it and couldn't. I think we were all trying to fix a a part when the problem was on the other side of the steering wheel. I don't know of anyone else who has spent more money on their transmission and never had it work right. Knowing who all tried to help you, it just doesn't make good sense. In the words of that guy I saw on one of those television shows talking to someone who had divorced about 7 times, "Hasn't it ever occured to you that the real problem might not be them?"

Karma seems to be out to get you in my opinion.

And you say that what I did for you was worse? Not true. The transmission itself worked. It shifted the way you wanted and you told people that. The only 'problem' was that you couldn't figure out why the torque converter wasn't locking up. Then even on the 'rebuild', you couldn't find that answer.

And where are you now after nobody could make that transmission work for you? You are now putting a very heavy and inefficient truck transmission in your car. I hope it trurns out for you, but that drivetrain loss is going to be phenominal even if you get it to work the way you want it to. But I definitely hope you can prove me wrong for your sake.

And, I flat challenge you to bring in these 'folks on other forums that had similar experiences' where I have not helped them if they had a problem. I challenge you to find me a single customer that has one of my products that I have not taken care of if they have let me know that they had a problem.

If you cannot do this then we must assume that this is just another mistruth from you. You love to speak in half-truth to steer perceptions. That is the way of people who do things like you are trying to do and its totally immature and shameful.

A GREAT suggestion would be to try and tell the whole truth for once. I know you won't because the reality doesn't fit with the picture you are trying to paint.

You need to go and find a hobby other than messing with me. I did nothign wrong and the more you try to claim that I did, the more I will hammer home the truth about the whole deal.

Darrin

Zack
04-24-2009, 04:19 AM
^^^ Go Away.

Marauderjack
04-24-2009, 04:43 AM
I had 84K miles on my stock 4R75W when I added the blower....it went to 160K and developed a sluggish, slipping acceleration form a stop!!:argue: Keep in mind I do not drag race or do burnouts but I DO DRIVE IT HARD!!!:beer:

Upon rebuild we found one of the rubber check balls in the valve body was gone (probably accounts for the slipping) but the clutches and bands looked surprisingly good!!!:D The only other part that showed a bunch of wear was the sun shell where it engages the drive teeth (or whatever they are called) so we replaced the sun shell, installed the spiral lock, DID NOT install a hardened stub shaft, added an extra friction plate to the clutch pack, used polyethylene check balls (they don't wear out like the rubber ones and don't beat the separator plate up like SS balls) and new pump, seal etc......:beer:

Currently have 36K miles on it with no problems....I do have the J-Mod which makes the shifts much firmer and extends clutch life!!:bows:

These transmissions in stock form are very durable and last a long time if not abused!!:cool:

Darrin
04-24-2009, 05:04 AM
^^^ Go Away.

No sir, I am an honest business and a vendor here.

That said, you honestly have no business whatsoever in this thead other than to try and take out your misplaced frustrations as well, but since you chimed in I will use you.

I remember a valuable and relative quote from you on this particular subject at hand dealing with Brian's transmission.

Is it possible the transmission casing is to blame for all the troubles?

Refresh us Brian:
You had 3 Bradshaw Bros. units, 1 lentech, 1 Darrin and 1 Jerry W, right?

There might be a common denominator somewhere in all this mess.

Apparently you fogot about the Art Carr unit in that list of people that tried to help Brian.

And, I could be wrong, but the common denominator wasn't the case. Jerry replaced that from what I gather. Again, I could be wrong on that I am only going by what I heard.

So, there is still 1 glaring common denominator and it isn't a car part.

Darrin

FordNut
04-24-2009, 06:16 AM
I paid $1800. The transmission didn't work after you got done with it. I was RIPPED OFF.

Darrin
04-24-2009, 06:30 AM
I paid $1800. The transmission didn't work after you got done with it. I was RIPPED OFF.

So, you are saying that the transmission did not shift into all gears?

Better yet, lets whittle that down to a direct yes or no question. Did the transmission that I repaired for you have reverse, first, second, third and 4th gears and shift up and down between them properly?

Darrin

FordNut
04-24-2009, 06:38 AM
I was ripped off.

justbob
04-24-2009, 06:38 AM
57,000 on mine, 10,000 of that S/C, with only 2,000 of that w/Jmod. So far so good, but seriously considering a 6spd. manual.

Darrin
04-24-2009, 06:39 AM
I was ripped off.

So you don't have enough honesty, integrity, honor or balls to answer direct questions truthfully huh?

Figures...

Darrin

FordNut
04-24-2009, 06:41 AM
I was ripped off.

And I will continue to tell about it to anybody on any forum that even mentions BC Automotive. I may not get a refund but...

FordNut
04-24-2009, 06:42 AM
So you don't have enough honesty, integrity, honor or balls to answer direct questions truthfully huh?

Figures...

Darrin

No, I'm a crook. I rip people off for $1800 then blame it on everybody else on the planet.

Darrin
04-24-2009, 07:00 AM
I think it's completely telling that you WON'T answer the question.

The reason that you won't answer the question is because it doesn't fit into your little story. The transmission actually worked. It had all gears and shifted between them properly. If you won't say it then I will.

Go ahead and disagree. Please try and say that the transmission didn't do what I say it did.

Darrin

Darrin
04-24-2009, 07:02 AM
And I will continue to tell about it to anybody on any forum that even mentions BC Automotive. I may not get a refund but...

And every time I hear of it I will link people to this thread and show that you are not telling the truth.

Fair is fair.

Darrin

FordNut
04-24-2009, 07:08 AM
I paid $1800 and it is worst than when you started. That's a fact. Link anybody you want to to this thread.

FordNut
04-24-2009, 07:09 AM
As far as I'm concerned Darrin is a crook.

FordNut
04-24-2009, 07:13 AM
If I can just instill a little bit of doubt about the "transmission God" into the minds of prospective customers I'll have to be satisfied with that. Then when they get screwed they will have nobody to blame but themselves.

Darrin
04-24-2009, 07:14 AM
As far as I am concerned Brian is very untruthful and that is obvious. He is again being given every opportunity to openly and honestly discuss this situation and he obviously will not because answering the questions truthfully will not validate his story in any way.

Darrin

Darrin
04-24-2009, 07:16 AM
If I can just instill a little bit of doubt about the "transmission God" into the minds of prospective customers I'll have to be satisfied with that. Then when they get screwed they will have nobody to blame but themselves.

Ok, validate that please. Find anyone that I have "screwed". Bring them here and let them tell their story for all to see.

If you cannot then this is just another dishonest attempt to steer perception.

Prove anything that you are saying please.

Darrin

Zack
04-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Darrin, im still waiting for your attorney to serve me the paperwork that will entitle you to sue me for my House and all of my cars.
Shall I post your threatening email here for everyone to see?

Go away!

Darrin
04-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Zack,

you have nothing valuable to add to this thread at all. You are only trying to stir up trouble and that is both completely obvious and completely wrong.

If you have something to say that actually pertains to this conversation then that's fine. If not then you are the one that needs to follow your own advice and just go away.

You are so far off topic in general that it's totally amazing.

Darrin

Zack
04-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Zack,

you have nothing valuable to add to this thread at all. You are only trying to stir up trouble and that is both completely obvious and completely wrong.

If you have something to say that actually pertains to this conversation then that's fine. If not then you are the one that needs to follow your own advice and just go away.

You are so far off topic in general that it's totally amazing.

Darrin

Funny how the table is turned now.

PS, I never got to thank you for the comedic shananigans during the SCT fiasco. If only you knew how hard I was laughing on my end. :rofl:

Go away.

Darrin
04-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Funny how the table is turned now.

PS, I never got to thank you for the comedic shananigans during the SCT fiasco. If only you knew how hard I was laughing on my end. :rofl:

Go away.

You make NO sense.

Zack
04-24-2009, 07:53 AM
You make NO sense.

:rofl:
:laugh:

You have overextended your stay here.
Go away

FordNut
04-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Darrin, the whole story has been laid out numerous times here, I'm not going to go over it again. Highlights are:

I paid $1800 and it was worse than when he started.

Darrin
04-24-2009, 08:01 AM
And you have no valid point whatsoever. As usual, nothing but worthless dribble.

Darrin

FordNut
04-24-2009, 08:04 AM
And you have no valid point whatsoever. As usual, nothing but worthless dribble.

Darrin

Only $1800 worth.

MERCMAN
04-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Take it off the board. I apologise to the thread starter for letting this get out of hand. I am closing this thread.