PDA

View Full Version : Monster Motor Procharger# 2 is Alive

MarauderTJA
10-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Well she has been fired up, breathing fire but I have to work out some problems. 8 rib pulley, belt length problems caused two tensioners to break.

Have to work out a change in the water pump pulley (changing to a 01-02 GT Mustang water pump) with a 5.5" pulley, increase the size of the tensioner pulley and get another 1092 8 rib belt and get the proper amount of play with it all.

My good friend Zoltan (Cobra25) came to my rescue after myself and Scott Beer went for sick test n tune of the car. The car had the serious OMG factor. It was absolutely incredible:eek: . I couldn't believe the difference with this new Boss 330/Al Papitto motor build. The Stainless long tubes made a major difference in the sound of the car. Deeper and meaner by far.:P

We couldn't get the car on the dyno over 6200 without the belt slipping (should be shifting around 6500 on 93 octane, 6800 on race gas. Even then the car made 610 RWHP! After the second git-it-on run from a dead stop when it hit second gear, we heard the bang and the tensioner/belt was toast. Back to Diablosport.

This morning Zoltan and I located a Marauder tensioner at a L/M dealership but could not find the proper 8 rib belt anywhere. We did find a little longer belt that works well enough to move the car around, but I wasn't taking a chance on a 2.5 hr ride home with it. Scott tells me that when we get these problems cured, the car should make a blower only 650 RWHP @ 20 lbs boost on 100 octane race tune. With a 100 shot and the race tune he is looking at 750 RWHP:depress: . The "mild 93 octane street tune" in the car now is 575 RWHP. Unreal..... However, with high HP numbers I am experiencing the typical high HP problems. The ride yesterday however has inspired me to get through all this. Which will be well worth it:D .

Had to rent a car, drive back to Cape Coral and will talk with my mechanic on Monday morning to get it straightened out. I am busting my azz on this to be able to go to SSHS6 which I am registered. Really want mid-low 11's real bad. 10's later.....Will keep everyone posted. And thanks Brian (FordNut) for the phone call. Will take your advice on the alternator regulator issue.

TOM

FordNut
10-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Thought of something else you should verify before pulling the water pump...

Since you have an oversize crank pulley you should make sure the larger water pump pulley is going to fit. And make sure the belt clears where it wraps around the ProCharger idler pulley, I know it's really close where the belt goes from the water pump to the tensioner.

Oh, and the car sounds like a beast, I'm anxious to see it run.

MarauderTJA
10-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Thought of something else you should verify before pulling the water pump...

Since you have an oversize crank pulley you should make sure the larger water pump pulley is going to fit. And make sure the belt clears where it wraps around the ProCharger idler pulley, I know it's really close where the belt goes from the water pump to the tensioner.

Thanks Brian, will check on that. Dave tells me there should not be a problem. But double, triple checking will have to take place. A real PIA to keep removing and installing the blower for these checks...but thats the HP world...

DEFYANT
10-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Holy ****zit! Very cool bud! I look forward to seeing this car in action in Atlanta!

MarauderTJA
10-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Holy ****zit! Very cool bud! I look forward to seeing this car in action in Atlanta!

Thanks Charlie, I am doing my best to be there believe me...Us Silver Marauders need to make a good showing and spank some black ones:lol: SS Impalas of course;) .

TooManyFords
10-28-2006, 05:16 PM
If I have to miss SSHS6 because of missing parts, I can't tell you how pissed I'll be!

AWESOME! Hoping to see it next weekend!

john

John Nero
10-28-2006, 05:17 PM
can't wait to see the car- better buy some extra seat belts-we don't want to see you fly out the back window

KillJoy
10-28-2006, 05:21 PM
NICE!!!!! Gotta Love those Numbers!!!!!

KillJoy

snowbird
10-28-2006, 07:28 PM
WoW ! Awesome numbers !! :)

So what's the new engine specs ? 4.6 ? Big bore ? stroker ?

djv5150
10-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Tom, you have created quite a monster, I look forward to seeing the car in action. heck your old setup was a rocket ship.

Hotrauder
10-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Tom, you're so close after a lot of work. These niggling little glitches are a butt clutch but you will make it. Awsume numbers. I can't wait. Dennis

Cobra25
10-28-2006, 07:39 PM
You guys aren't going to believe what this Car is going to put out. I spoke to Scott Beer when I got their yesterday evening to pick Tom Up and today also ,even Scott is amazed. Over 600 RWHP with just a base tune. This is one insane Marauder. After a few small problems gets resolved this week Scott will dial it in. Who know's what kinda numbers Tom will end up with. And it sounds unbelieveable.

teamrope
10-28-2006, 07:49 PM
HOLEY MOLEY! Sweet numbers Tom. :beer:

Zack
10-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Congrats!
A word of advice before you waste any time/money.
The Marauder front cover/tensioner combo is junk and wont support that HP.
The belt will slip cause the tensioner is not up to the task. Try any pulley or water pump you want, the tensioner is and will always be the weak link in the equation.
Switch to a 98 Cobra timing cover with an all steel tensioner before you do anything else.

tmac1337
10-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Had to rent a car, drive back to Cape Coral and will talk with my mechanic on Monday morning to get it straightened out.
TOM

What the hell did you rent a car for??

I have 2 cars at my house I don't even drive. All you had to do was show up and take one for a few days.

Congrats on the performance. Can't wait to see the end result!

JMan
10-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Tom,
All I can say is WOW! Can't wait to see it in G-ville for MMIV.

J

MarauderTJA
10-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Thanks guys for you positive and supportive comments.

The motor is a 4.6 Marauder aluminum block with:

CP pistons (9.2-1), Manley rods, cobra forged steel crank, Crower Cams, some head work done with springs, SS exhaust valves, race valve job. Motor built by Al Papitto of Boss 330 ace Engines in Vero Beach, Florida.
Had a custom fuel system designed with braided fuel lines, twin Bosch fuel pumps (from Porsche Turbo Carrera's), larger fuel rails, large fuel filter. Built by Bart Tobener of the Speed Zone, Pompono Beach, Florida. He is also my mechanic.
Rear End/Suspension incudes: upper/lower Metco CA's, Metco watts link, QA-1's rear shocks, Addco rear sway bar, Detroit True-Trac possi, 31 spline axles, 4.10 gears, stud girdle kit.
Tranny (the weak point with this power) has a level 1 Art Carr build up, shift kit and a PI Stallion 3000 speed stall., B&M tranny cooler w/hd fan. If I can sell my 04 GMC Canyon p/u (good deal for anyone?) plans are to have a 1000 HP rated Lentech 4r70W built....Anyone want a real sweet truck????
Zex Nitrous system which will not be used until I get the Lentech tranny....real nice truck, can e-mail you info???I think that is it...although I may have missed a couple of things;) .

maraudernkc
10-29-2006, 10:10 AM
THE BEAST

Tom, you will get the bugs worked out and than watch out. Do I smell an 11 second special.

martyo
10-29-2006, 10:17 AM
I am going to run my car off a cliff!

Congrats!!

Cobra25
10-29-2006, 10:21 AM
THE BEAST

Tom, you will get the bugs worked out and than watch out. Do I smell an 11 second special. More Like a 10 Second Marauder.

MarauderTJA
10-29-2006, 03:01 PM
I am going to run my car off a cliff!

Congrats!!

Paleeeze Marty. Yeah, like I am even close to your times....:confused:

HwyCruiser
10-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Sounds like a sweet setup Tom. I hope you get it all pulled together so you can run that bad boy during the upcoming events.

KillJoy
10-29-2006, 04:51 PM
The motor is a 4.6 Marauder aluminum block with:

CP pistons (9.2-1), Manley rods, cobra forged steel crank, Crower Cams, some head work done with springs, SS exhaust valves, race valve job. Motor built by Al Papitto of Boss 330 ace Engines in Vero Beach, Florida.Would you care to ESTIMATE a cost to have this done? Sounds VERY interesting :D

KillJoy

Joe Walsh
10-29-2006, 06:26 PM
WAY TO GO TOM!!!

Those are some SICK preliminary numbers!

Keep us all posted as you dial in this Beast.

I will probably use your install/tune as a template for my upcoming Procharger install.

MarauderTJA
10-29-2006, 07:04 PM
WAY TO GO TOM!!!

Those are some SICK preliminary numbers!

Keep us all posted as you dial in this Beast.

I will probably use your install/tune as a template for my upcoming Procharger install.

No problem Joe. Whatever I can do to help you. Also, thanks for the pics on the tranny cooler. Located it the same place as you. KillJoy, sent you a PM.

JD, working as hard as I can to get it ready for SSHS6. Really questionable. Have to resolve the tensioner/belt problem then I'll be all set (I hope).

MarauderMark
10-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Totaly blasted! Great work Tom.Congrats:up:

KillJoy
10-29-2006, 07:49 PM
KillJoy, sent you a PM.

Received and replied to ;)

KillJoy

juno
10-30-2006, 05:57 AM
Tom,

Those numbers are frigging sick!!!!! Congrats!!!

Do you have any more info on the motor? Is it stroked or bored?

MarauderTJA
10-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Tom,

Those numbers are frigging sick!!!!! Congrats!!!

Do you have any more info on the motor? Is it stroked or bored?

Thanks. Have to work out the tensioner/belt problem. Something you will probably have to deal with as well with your turbo setup. The motor is not stroked or bored. A 4.6 Marauder motor. See post #17.

juno
10-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks. Have to work out the tensioner/belt problem. Something you will probably have to deal with as well with your turbo setup. The motor is not stroked or bored. A 4.6 Marauder motor. See post #17.

I need to find a shorter belt as I am going with the Meziere pump and an UD pulley, but I will have less tension on my pulleys then stock. You are probably using 100 hp more or less to turn your SC, and I have no extra pulley to deal with. (but a host of other issues! :D ) I think Zack is right on with going with a stronger timing cover and idlers.

Those are incredible numbers with a 4.6, I'll have to get Al to build me a set of heads next year!!!

I am actually hooking up the hot piping for the turbo today and I am amazed that they got that 3" pipe to squeeze by the starter, AC compressor, etc.

Zack
10-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Juno, you will not need to change your front cover or tensioner to run a turbo. It only drives the accessories, not a blower. Dont worry about it at all.

RoyLPita
10-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Tom, what happened to your other manifolds and x-pipe???

juno
10-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Juno, you will not need to change your front cover or tensioner to run a turbo. It only drives the accessories, not a blower. Dont worry about it at all.
You and I know that. :D Any luck with the killer KB?

Zack
10-30-2006, 01:31 PM
You and I know that. :D Any luck with the killer KB?

Nope!
Its dead till the spring.
I think I know what the problem is though :coolman:

Big House
10-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Come on Zack...tell the truth...you are awaiting the unveil at MVIV...:D

Nope!

MarauderTJA
10-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Tom, what happened to your other manifolds and x-pipe???

The x-pipe was intregated into my Stainless long tube exhaust system and polished manifold was transfered onto the forged motor.

FordNut
10-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Nope!

Come on now, let's hear what it is...

juno
10-31-2006, 06:36 AM
Nope!

Of course, you don't have to share. But if it is something generic to others going after high hp it would be nice.

RoyLPita
10-31-2006, 06:53 AM
The x-pipe was intregated into my Stainless long tube exhaust system and polished manifold was transfered onto the forged motor.

What about the exhaust manifolds?

MarauderTJA
10-31-2006, 07:22 AM
What about the exhaust manifolds?

Sorry, Claude has dibs on those.

MarauderTJA
11-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Finally got my car home last night. Some more dyno time, Scott gave me three tunes and a few more things to do before MV IV. Changed the oil today, blower oil tmorrow. Need to remove the high flow cats and install the QTP electric dumps and get the new Nitto DR's mounted . Absolutely love the new power, unreal. Like driving a different car totally. A long 6 week project, but worth the wait. Now to work on getting her dialed in for Drag day...:D