PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a "BUILT" Transmission?

KillJoy
10-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Just wondering what is done to have a "built" transmission.

KillJoy

SergntMac
10-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Dennis is out of town right now, but in a few days, why not give him a call and ask for a parts list from his Stage II tranny upgrade. That would be a place to start. I think Zack has a list too.

Motorhead350
10-29-2006, 07:07 PM

KillJoy

One that I couldn't break as easily as a Turbo400. :D I actually want to know too, I'll be watching this one.

the_pack_rat
10-29-2006, 07:32 PM
One that I couldn't break as easily as a Turbo400. :D I actually want to know too, I'll be watching this one.

You managed to trash a TH400 ?!?!?!?.

One of the best transmissions since the begining of time ?.

Why am I not suprised ...

99SVT
10-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Those TH400's are quite durable, I have one in my 70 Wildcat. It sat in the weeds for 20 years with the original fluid in it and it still drove away.

magindat
10-30-2006, 06:36 AM
As I recall, the level II trans I just got from Dennis includes:

Rear bearing lube
New clutches
J-mod
Hardened Stub shaft
Spring clip rather than C clip (not sure on what, but prone to break?)
Pan with Drain plug (though I upgraded to Art Carr alum, finned pan).

That's all I remember.

You'll likey. At wot, the 1-2 shift will snap your neck!

The g meter on the Avic d1 says I pull 1.25 g's!!!!

Hotrauder
10-30-2006, 07:10 AM
You'll likey. At wot, the 1-2 shift will snap your neck!

that sounds like tuning rather than "built" but perhaps not. Dennis. I am still on the fence but will see Dennis this weekend at Atlanta and talk with him about it. Dennis

gja
10-30-2006, 01:04 PM
You want a serious automatic? You need to get a B&M unit. It won't be cheap, I warn you. And if you choose a race model, it will not be really comfortable on the street as a daily driver, but it will outlast ANYTHING BY ANYONE ELSE!.
I had one behind my 74 Monte Carlo with a 454, bored 60 over, with dual-centerpump quads on a victor-ram. That made about 600+ HP with an insane amount of tq. Never a stutter, slip or groan from endless nights prowling the streets of LI looking for vettes and stangs to embarass...LOL(this was a car Motion helped setup, they were/are legendary to many people) Mine was one of the meanest Monte's running streetable trim and that tranny took it all without a single break. Astounding, is the word. Expensive, too.
Speed doesn't cost a thing, it adding it your ride that costs all the money.

Drock96Marquis
10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Jerry, former Ford trans engineer and the 'J' of the J-mod recommends not using the B&M or TransGo kits in a 4r70w/4r75w

Motorhead350
10-30-2006, 08:32 PM
You managed to trash a TH400 ?!?!?!?.

One of the best transmissions since the begining of time ?.

Why am I not suprised ...

Haha only me right? Yea I've gone through 5 trannys (not all turbo350s) in my truck and my current TH700R has had a problem sense 3 weeks after I bought it new and GM won't fix it, eventhough it's GM... now I'm getting mad again.

You'd be surprized the problems I can cause, but the Marauder has with-stood everything... what a car. :D

stryker
10-31-2006, 01:39 AM
Jerry, former Ford trans engineer and the 'J' of the J-mod recommends not using the B&M or TransGo kits in a 4r70w/4r75w:witch: And why not? any especific reasons not just not. :nono:

STRYKER.:pumpkin:

SergntMac
10-31-2006, 04:17 AM
:witch: And why not? any especific reasons not just not. :nono: STRYKER.Prolly 'cause the aftermarket stuff that's often a step ahead in performance, is a step back in this case. The base features of the 4R70/75W can be unlocked by the "J" mod, and it's a lot cheaper than aftermarket kits.

RF Overlord
10-31-2006, 05:26 AM
stryker, click here (http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=4121) and scroll down to post #8. "SCT Guy" is actually Jerry and he explains why in great detail.

gja
10-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, as usual, people mistook a non-specific reference.
OK....NOT A B&M KIT, THE ENTIRE UNIT FROM B&M!!!!
Those 'Trans-go' kits are CRAP!, They will eventually trash a unit not specifically rebuilt to withstand sustained high-than-spec output.

Is this clear enough now?
Trans-go=ricer style JUNK
B&M Street/strip or racing transmissions are SERIOUS stuff

KillJoy
10-31-2006, 10:23 AM
THE ENTIRE UNIT FROM B&M!!!!

That's the way I read it. It's all good :D

KillJoy

SergntMac
10-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, as usual, people mistook a non-specific reference.
OK....NOT A B&M KIT, THE ENTIRE UNIT FROM B&M!!!!
Those 'Trans-go' kits are CRAP!, They will eventually trash a unit not specifically rebuilt to withstand sustained high-than-spec output.

Is this clear enough now?
Trans-go=ricer style JUNK
B&M Street/strip or racing transmissions are SERIOUS stuffI heard you right the first time too. So, I went here...

http://www2.bmracing.com/store/kommerce_products.aspx

Didn't find much for our Marauder, and if they do have an 4R70/75W tranny it's prolly for a Mustang, and has the shorter tailshaft.

I suppose B&M would custom build with a deposit, but we're guessing on costs.

gja
10-31-2006, 11:26 AM
Oh yeah, Mac. It will be a hand-built unit for sure. I know they have done our units, but like they say "if you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it".

It will be around $3K+, or so. But, that is not too shocking for a unit that comes with a real pedigree and a warranty behind it.

Dennis Reinhart
10-31-2006, 11:33 AM

KillJoy

A built transmission is simply that, a transmission that is rebuilt to a better standard than OEM, I use a ART Car kit

stryker
11-21-2006, 08:09 PM
:confused: And what is that "Art Carr kit" Dennis? which parts compose that Kit ?

STRYKER.:burnout:

magindat
11-22-2006, 07:11 AM
:confused: And what is that "Art Carr kit" Dennis? which parts compose that Kit ?

STRYKER.:burnout:

Yo stryk,
see my #6 post.

Greggash just got a built Art Carr tranny also. We love 'em!

jim geary
11-22-2006, 07:58 AM
The Art Carr level2 trans kit will even snap your neck going into reverse.
I love mine. Not nearly as smooth as it used to be but a whole lot more fun.