PDA

View Full Version : revs at startup

max454
11-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Good day to you lidio, i was wondering if it is possible with the xcal2 to lower the revs at startup that i find anoying.
thanks .

Pat
11-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I remember reading somewhere on this site that at start up the engine revs to 2K in response to the computers test of the tach. The article didn't address if the command could be modified. FWIW.

I'll try and find the post.

kj31067
11-01-2006, 07:43 PM
correct me if i m wrong , but the high rev start-up has something to do with the non returnless fuel injection system burning off left over fuel in the rails and it can be adjusted or tuned out with certain tuners......i m sure more tech savvy members will chime in:D

LVMarauder
11-01-2006, 07:52 PM
I love that roar on start up, turns heads where ever I am.

Joe Walsh
11-01-2006, 08:05 PM

I love it NOW...but not before I installed my Canton ACCUSUMP preoiler.

My Marauder is not a daily driver, so when it had sat for a week or so...

It would start, rev up and all 32 valves would clatter like a P.O.S. until the oil hit the top end of the engine*....:(

Now she fires off, revs up and is quiet as a kitten with immediate full oil pressure.

*I'm pretty sure that the 'high rev' start shortens engine life, especially in colder climates.

JMan
11-02-2006, 03:12 AM
FWIW,
Ford uses the extended rev cold start to help "light" the cats off. They add fuel and back-up timing to get an afterburner going. This helps bring the catalysts up to temperature sooner. Yep, that's right, it's all about the emissions! The enormous intake volume and small displacement are going to cause a flair regardless. I believe DR once said it was adjustable in the SCT tune. I'm sure Lidio can clarify!

J

SergntMac
11-02-2006, 04:47 AM
I'm pretty sure that the 'high rev' start shortens engine life, especially in colder climates.I'm not. 88K on my #3 MM now, engine and tranny running like brand new.

TooManyFords
11-02-2006, 06:52 AM
FWIW,
Ford uses the extended rev cold start to help "light" the cats off. They add fuel and back-up timing to get an afterburner going. This helps bring the catalysts up to temperature sooner. Yep, that's right, it's all about the emissions! The enormous intake volume and small displacement are going to cause a flair regardless. I believe DR once said it was adjustable in the SCT tune. I'm sure Lidio can clarify!

J

I looked it up and you are correct. There is an adder for RPM on start and also a duration in seconds to hold that additional idle. Mine was set to something like 500 rpm for 2 seconds if I remember. I just set it to 100 rpm to lower it down.

John

ckadiddle
11-02-2006, 10:37 AM
It reall kinda sold us on the car. :)

mpearce
11-02-2006, 02:23 PM
If you've got SCT tuning, I think on initial startup, it'll hold 900 RPM's until your temp comes up...then it'll lower your RPM's to their proper idle speed.

-Mat