PDA

View Full Version : Feasibility of putting EFI on a Fordracing 460?

tetsu
06-01-2003, 05:43 PM
They don't sell the Ford 460 with EFI. How hard would it be to convert it?

Or, we could put that spiffy new GM Performance 572 into an SS. :)

Johnny

LincMercLover
06-01-2003, 09:47 PM
Haven't seen anything for the big block Fords, unless like you said, it'd come on a crate motor, but then that would probably only be TBI, which in all actuality sucks @$$...

FordNut
06-02-2003, 04:49 AM
There are a couple of companies that make conversion kits. You have to provide them with a good single-plane intake manifold, make of your choice, and they modify it by adding fuel injector bungs. They use a throttle body which mounts like a carburetor on the manifold. I'm not sure if it uses a MAF sensor or if the fuel tables are hard-coded into the controller. The system is similar to the Holley Pro-jection system, but Holley does not make a kit for the 460.

Accufab Racing
06-02-2003, 05:48 AM
It's not a big deal. Modifying the intake (single plane Edelbrock) and using the distributor from the 460 EFI Pick-up or van, and using the standard Mustang EEC-IV processor and you have a EFI 460. You can use the standard type replacement (larger) Mustang 5.0 throttle body.

tetsu
06-02-2003, 07:26 AM
Wow. Thanks much for the input guys.

I'm going to be "stuck" (Geez I'm spoiled) driving my stock MM for a few years while I make my fortune. Maybe after I break big, I'll go Pro-Street with it. :)

I just looked up and saw you say that Ford has a Van with a 460 in it. Wow. That is my next van!!!!!!! *drool*

Johnny

looking97233
06-03-2003, 11:32 AM
I just happen to have sitting on the shelf in my garage, complete (everything except block and rotating assy.) the upper half(heads, intake, all fuel componets, distributor, exh. man. ect.) from a 1995 F-250 7.5L. I have an older 460 that I wanted to do the EFI and put into a shortbed truck. Mabey a Vortech if I can afford it. Kinda a poormans lightning.