PDA

View Full Version : Lest We Forget . . .

Dr Caleb
11-11-2006, 12:02 PM
On this National Day of Remeberance, I saw something everyone should see. The song was composed 15 years ago by a local songwriter, and the video was added recently by one of our local news stations.

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/edmonton/index.html#

Click on "Lest We Forget Video". Tears are OK too.

:canada: :bagpipe3:

Dr Caleb
11-11-2006, 12:12 PM
And . . .

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/galleries/remembering/index.html

99SVT
11-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I just got back from a cerimony in Mundare, the vets seemed more eager to hear our stories from Afganistan then they were to tell their stories from WWII and Korea. That usually doesn't happen, they normally end up telling the lions share of stories over a few drinks. This time they kept asking for more stories while the local pub supplied us with a steady stream of free drinks. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I think we might have more in common with them than the previous generation of soldiers. They seemed more proud this year than they did in other years. Perhaps it's the extra media coverage that the military is getting lately.

Peter
11-11-2006, 07:58 PM
May we never forget....

Dr Caleb
11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
I just got back from a cerimony in Mundare, the vets seemed more eager to hear our stories from Afganistan then they were to tell their stories from WWII and Korea. That usually doesn't happen, they normally end up telling the lions share of stories over a few drinks. This time they kept asking for more stories while the local pub supplied us with a steady stream of free drinks. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I think we might have more in common with them than the previous generation of soldiers. They seemed more proud this year than they did in other years. Perhaps it's the extra media coverage that the military is getting lately.

I gotta agree. I've heard the vets stories from WWI and WWII and Korea plenty. We usually have a busload of active duty soldiers stop by our Legion on 11/11 and ply them with all sorts of alkeehol. (Moosemilk specifically)

I wanted to hear about Afghanistan too. Some of the men and women I've bent an elbow with, and some I've served with died in A'gistan. I think they do have more in common with WWI, II and Korean vets than we realize. Stories of Kap'Yong are great, but Peshawar, Ops Apollo and Medusa! That's new! Sadly, we will have to tell the stories of Ypres and Vimy ourselves to our children now.