PDA

View Full Version : Performance Question

VNMUS
11-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Being that I can't afford a Trilogy kit at the moment, would it be worth while me getting a custom tune done on the MM. All I have installed is a CAI. If the answer is yes, what gains could I expect, where would difference be most noticable and where would be the best place to get it done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. :bows:

bugsys03
11-14-2006, 06:25 AM
A GOOD custom tune will get you much increased midrange power and very firm shifts. Custom tuning while on the dyno is the best way to go.

Paul T. Casey
11-14-2006, 06:55 AM
A custom tune is a good start. Another "cheap" gain can be had with under drive pullies. Not sure where you are located, but there are several tuners here. I know of a few more scattered about the country, but without your location, don't know who's near you. Hand held tuners, off the shelf tunes, and flashes are another option. Should get you to the mid to high 14's in the 1/4.

Agent M79
11-14-2006, 07:15 AM
would it be worth while me getting a custom tune done on the MM. All I have installed is a CAI.

I changed the thermostat and plugs along with a tune as my first 'mods' and it worked out really well. Getting those shift points cleaned up and getting back some of what Ford left on the table was a great start.

Grifter
11-14-2006, 07:39 AM
absolutely.
its a night and day difference between a stock car and a tuned car. Get a flasher that has some adjustablility in it, such as an Xcal2. You can change small things along the way as you need, shift points, TC lockup schedule, MAF's, idle, spark, etc..

I really love the tunes i have gotten from my guy. I would say who it is, but i dont want my post deleted.. Because i guess we cant do that here. PM me if you want to know

O's Fan Rich
11-14-2006, 07:41 AM
You really want to feel it?
4:10's and a good Lidio tune....

ckadiddle
11-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Absolutely get a tune from any of our fine site supporting vendors. I waited a year and now kick myself every day for waiting sooo long. Makes driving around town more pleasant by cleaning up unneeded shifting and lockups at low speeds, and also adds a few more horses and firmer shifts throughout the spectrum if you are leaning on the pedal. Generally makes the car more fun to drive!!

If you never spend another dime on a mod, get a tune.

Tyrone Minto
11-14-2006, 08:47 AM
CAI and a SCT excal2 tune
huge difference
Most of the tuners have their std excal tune without putting it in the dyno for a N/A MM. They can ship it to you. I would drive it a while on this tune for a while and then go in for a custom tune. Make sure you always use the right octane gas.

You should see about 25HP and 30 FPT with the CAI
It will feel like twice that with the transmission adjustments.
gettr done

VNMUS
11-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Great info guys, thanks. Sounds like that's the way to go. Now I just have to free up some time to go get it done.

superford3
11-14-2006, 08:35 PM
ive been told that unless you do some bigger mods a tune is a waste of money and not worth the money spent

BruteForce
11-14-2006, 09:03 PM
ive been told that unless you do some bigger mods a tune is a waste of money and not worth the money spent

You been told wrong.

Grifter
11-14-2006, 09:32 PM

Indeed you have been led astray.

jimlam56
11-15-2006, 03:16 AM
Wrong info bud.
Find a member here who's got a tune, drive it and you will be amazed at the difference.

fastblackmerc
11-15-2006, 05:04 AM
I'd recommend the under drive pullies, colder plugs and thermostat, 4.10's and a custom tune. You'll be amazed at the difference. Should cost you a shade under $1,000.00 if you can do some of the work youself.

Mad4Macs
11-15-2006, 06:25 AM

If you're happy with the "hunt-happy" tranny, keep it. I wasn't, and that's the sole reason I got "chipped". The tune made me happy :D

Bill Lalk
11-15-2006, 07:20 AM
I feel no difference in power, see no difference in mileage with my tune on an otherwise stock MM. The only difference I feel is the better shift points.

GA-Marauder
11-15-2006, 07:24 AM
I'd recommend the under drive pullies, colder plugs and thermostat, 4.10's and a custom tune. You'll be amazed at the difference. Should cost you a shade under $1,000.00 if you can do some of the work youself.

AGREE 100%. Makes a huge difference. Then save up (like I'm still doing) and go S/C'd!

VNMUS
11-15-2006, 11:46 AM
So the Jury is still out on this one huh?

crouse
11-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Our cars are fairly similar. We both have a CAI and 3.55 gears but I have a SCT XCal-2 tuner from Reinhart. So let's race and see what happens. I'll even throw my spare tire and jack back in the trunk so the weight is the same.

superford3
11-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Our cars are fairly similar. We both have a CAI and 3.55 gears but I have a SCT XCal-2 tuner from Reinhart. So let's race and see what happens. I'll even throw my spare tire and jack back in the trunk so the weight is the same.i would like to be proven wrong on this so im game for some action ,and doing rearend gears is a big mod in my opinion i was more or less saying small mods like a cold air kit and tune alone

superford3
11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
for example lets see some dyno sheets from a stock mm vs a mm with tune and cai im betting only a few hp gains and when your talking money per hp it wont be worth it,youll gain more by doing gears first then a tune

Grifter
11-15-2006, 06:15 PM
what do a few pulls at DB or Hitech cost?
I would really like to see stock Vs tuned specs myself. I however, have no doubt that the gains from the tune are excellent.

Paul T. Casey
11-15-2006, 06:31 PM
for example lets see some dyno sheets from a stock mm vs a mm with tune and cai im betting only a few hp gains and when your talking money per hp it wont be worth it,youll gain more by doing gears first then a tune
Tried to do a search here, but it will only go back to 2005. I never posted any of mine, one of my secrets, but hypothetically a stock Marauder makes about 240 ish rwhp. Tune, plugs, t-stat, and u/d pullies hypothetially gets you to near 265 rwhp. Hardly major mods. Don't know if there's much difference between factory tunes (BDMO, etc.) but I doubt it. Add CAI, spacers and exhaust, you should be near the magic 300 rwhp figure. I'm on the road, otherwise I'd post up some graphs. If you can get back into the early 2003 posts, there should be some postings.

superford3
11-15-2006, 07:03 PM
what do a few pulls at DB or Hitech cost?
I would really like to see stock Vs tuned specs myself. I however, have no doubt that the gains from the tune are excellent.
its usually around 70-80 for couple pulls but for a chip,dyno tune its $500 ,i had it done on my mustang after i bolted on 200hp it was worth the money for the tune but i also did extensive mods to the car so i had to

crouse
11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Other things to keep in mind regarding a tuner. You have the ability to correct your speedometer if you change gears or install different sized tires. You can also adjust idle RPM, rev limiter and engine timing. It can also read check engine light codes and data log. For the price, it's an invaluable tool.

I Tried
11-16-2006, 04:12 PM
If my car was not put away for winter I would give you a ride. The gears made a huge diff, worth every penny and the tune from lidio really helped the trans shifting concern. It made 381 to the ground on a 100 shot of spray and I have a lidio tune and t-stat mod and jlt intake. I will be opening up the exhaust in spring and adding a good converter and taking it to cedar falls to get a 12 second time slip.
:cool4:

Pat
11-16-2006, 05:44 PM
VNMUS;

On my car, stock, my 1/4 mile times were 15.3. dyno HP 245.

After installing my tune, CAI and 4:10 gears my 1/4 mile times were 14.2
No dyno, business went kaput.

After installing my 100 shot nitrous, my 1/4 mile time (only one good run) was 13.8. This car will do a lot better when I next go to the strip.

Analysis: - CAI: advertised 10 HP gains a nice first step.

Flash Tuner: somewhat pricey, modest HP and TRQ gains, main advantage is driveablility. However, it will be the basis for any performace mods you subsequently add on. So it's a necessary building block.

4:10 gears: a must if you want to get off quickly, street or strip, because the power band for this engine starts at 3500 to 4000 RPM.

Underdrive pullies; unleashes latent HP in motor.

Exhaust: an expensive mod, this is were your tuner will come in handy to get the A/F and timing right. Will add some serious HP with a full system, modest gains with a partial system.

Intake Spacer/throttle body: pricey but goes along with the exhaust and tune, a cumlative effect.

Full synthetic oil - no first hand experience, but others my advise you.
Higher stall speed converter - expensive but off the line performance is greatly enhanced.

Tranny mods/head cooling mod address reliability.

Drive shaft/oil cooler/control arms/watts link/widened rims/drag radials/pro-guard under body kit/ brake upgrade, pant, pant, pant,
and we haven't even discussed power adders, like nitrous.

Do I have all these things? No, but I'm working on it. My new stall coverter is in the mail (figureatively). While the deep sump oil pan should be here tomorrow.

Happy days are here again.

Good luck and let the mod's contlnue.

Pat

KillJoy
11-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Best Bang-For-The-Buck Mod = 4.10 Gears and a Tune!!!

This make it an entirely different car!! It SHOULD have come this way from the factory!!!

But what do I know..... ;)

KillJoy

KillJoy
11-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Another note....

A Tune will definately add a small amount of HP and TQ. However, the Transmission Shift Points make a HUGE difference in how the car acts, reacts and accelerates.

All the Mods listed above are good suggestions.....epecially mine :D

KillJoy

VNMUS
11-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Great suggestions guys and a big thanks to Crouse for letting me drive his MM last night. Now all I have to do is win the lottery and then the sky is the limit :)

I Tried
11-20-2006, 09:08 AM
To all minnesota guys there is a shop in St. Bonni that will do dyno pulls 2 and if he is in a good mood and you are the only customer 4 for $50.00 and the best part is you get to drive the car on the dyno. If you have never done it is is a rush.

Tim

Grifter
11-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Where in St Boni?

VNMUS
11-20-2006, 10:59 PM
From the dyno sheets I've found on-line it looks like about 20 RWHP gain from the tune with a CAI. If I also do the 4.10 gears how many mpg will I lose?

I Tried
11-21-2006, 09:56 AM
If you turn left at the stop light coming from the cities, I dont know the county road number it is about a block off of 7. Nice Guys.

Here is a link to the web sight.

www.olsencorvette.com (http://www.olsencorvette.com/)

crouse
11-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Wow, he's got a DynoJet!

Tim, do you think he would be interested in letting us have a small Marauder event there sometime, maybe on a Saturday or Sunday?

I Tried
11-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Yes I dont think he would care at all. I went with a freind and there were about 11 people there to see him dyno his car. He made 657 to the ground and said it was a rush driving it on the dyno.

VNMUS
11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow, he's got a DynoJet!

Tim, do you think he would be interested in letting us have a small Marauder event there sometime, maybe on a Saturday or Sunday?
I'd be up for that!

superford3
11-21-2006, 06:52 PM
im game for some dyno pulls

jdando
11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
I'll come watch. I already have my numbers:cool:

jeremy