PDA

View Full Version : AOD pan hole plug

Pat
11-17-2006, 05:27 PM
In Strykers Tranny pan pic's thread a comment was made, concerning a picture, that the AOD only pan hole was apprently not plugged causing a small leak.

Today I received my Art Carr tranny pan and a plug was screwed into the AOD hole but wouldn't screw all the way flush with the casing (inside to outside). I tried from the other side (outside to inside) but the screw wouldn't start because the threads are tapered.

What is going on here? Is the pan tapped incompletely?

I was planning on taking the car to the transmission shop for a stall converter change, oil cooler installation and tranny pan replacement Monday.

I don't want this to be a show stoppper.

Help!

Pat

fastblackmerc
11-17-2006, 06:20 PM
I assume that the AOD pan fits our 4R70W trans?

Hotrauder
11-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Patrick, I have one and it should not be a problem. If unsure call. the web site Artcarr.com has the number listed. Dennis:)

Pat
11-18-2006, 11:39 AM
After posting my plight the site software lists similiar threads at the bottom of the page. And lo and behold was the question and answer that affects my pan installation.

It seems the Art Carr company used a cutting tap to make the hole but did not use the bottoming tap to finish.

Because the cutting tap is tapered the bottom half of the hole is not wide enough to accept the whole allen plug. That's were the bottoming tap comes into play. It makes the hole the same size top to bottom. So, I fired off a message to Art Carr Company to find out the size and thread pitch of the hole.

Stay on this site and one will become familiar with, plumbing, machining, fluid dynamics, air flow, tool useage, and all manner of automotive trades. Ha.

Pat

Pat
11-19-2006, 04:25 PM
The threads in AOD plug hole were 20 MM too shallow.

I retapped the hole with a 1/8 X 27 NPT cutting tap and that fixed the problem, plug now mounts flush, actually 1 MM recessed, with the pan's mounting lip.

Pat

Hotrauder
11-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Good show Patrick. Now we all know. Thanks. Dennis:beer:

SergntMac
11-19-2006, 04:46 PM
I assume that the AOD pan fits our 4R70W trans?I don't assume that, nor do I believe it myself 'cause the Ford Racing catalogue lists two seperate part numbers for AOD/AODE, vs. 4R70/R75W tranny pans. If they are interchangeable, why two part numbers?

Grifter
11-20-2006, 10:34 AM
they arent interchangable. the AOD has a pan bolt located in a different place on the drivers front corner than the 4R pan. the pan shapes are the same though. Art Carr, B&M, and others use 1 pan that has an extra hole in the pan, and you use which one you need based on if you have a AOD or 4R tranny. your supposed to plug the unused hole. My B&M pan didnt come with a plug, nor was it tapped.

Pat
11-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Took Silverback to the shop this AM for a stall converter change, oil cooler add on and installation of the Art Carr deep sump pan.

All went well until it came time to fit the new pan. Oops! Too big. Now to back track and see if DR ordered the right one, then to see if Art Carr Inc. shipped what was ordered or if they just put the wrong pan in the box.

Have to wait till the morning to get the part number off of the pan. Need to remember to get my lollipop.

Just told the shop to reinstall the stock pan. I'll get the right pan and have it installed another time.

Pat