PDA

View Full Version : 4R70W New Questions, Too Many Questions

stryker
11-20-2006, 10:19 PM
:confused: Ok Marauderers, I recently went to a transmission parts store to ask about the 4R70W transmission and for mods that can be done and the so called "tune" for the transmission but his answers cause me more doubts than answers so this are my questions for the pros here in this area.

1) ¿I can do a tunes with the Xcal to a complete stock 4R70W transmission without replace internal parts?

2)¿Do I have to replace the stock clutches of the 4R70W transmission when I do the changes in tuning the tranny for more firmer shifts I mean racing clutches?

3)¿what is the function of the torque converter in a 4R70W transmission?

For now these are the questions that block my mind, I was thinking in buy the new SCT Xcalibrator SF9415 from BOC but due to this ???? I prefeer to consult the tech pros here, :thanks: for the time to read.

STRYKER.:burnout:

magindat
11-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Stryker,
Not a pro, but a consumer here.

1) An Xcal 2 SF will allow you to adjust shift firmness from the handheld tuner. If you get the xcal from Dennis (like I did) or Lidio, the shifts will be better timed and firmer due to their tune. You can adjust from there.

2) No, you don't have to replace the clutches. However, I am extremely pleased with my Art Carr L2 kit which included new clutches. I ran with just the tuner for a year and had fun with it. The new improved tranny is even more fun.

3) The function of a torque converter is the same in every automatic tranny. Simply, it takes energy from the motor, turns it into fluid energy, then the fluid energy is used to turn the tranny gears. Basically, it performs the same type of function as you feathering the clutch in a stick shift. You don't need a different torque converter. However, higher stall converters let the motor come closer to it's ideal RPM for more power before the fluid energy is given to the gears.

Hope this helps. There are folks who know way more and could give details, but I think you should get and Xcal2 SF from Dennis Reinhart and start there. You'll learn a lot by using it and Dennis's base tune is fun.

Good luck.
Rich

fastblackmerc
11-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Stryker,

1) An Xcal 2 SF will allow you to adjust shift firmness from the handheld tuner. If you get the xcal from Dennis (like I did) or Lidio, the shifts will be better timed and firmer due to their tune. You can adjust from there.

2) No, you don't have to replace the clutches. However, I am extremely pleased with my Art Carr L2 kit which included new clutches. I ran with just the tuner for a year and had fun with it. The new improved tranny is even more fun.

3) The function of a torque converter is the same in every automatic tranny. Simply, it takes energy from the motor, turns it into fluid energy, then the fluid energy is used to turn the tranny gears. Basically, it performs the same type of function as you feathering the clutch in a stick shift. You don't need a different torque converter. However, higher stall converters let the motor come closer to it's ideal RPM for more power before the fluid energy is given to the gears.

Hope this helps. There are folks who know way more and could give details, but I think you should get and Xcal2 SF from Dennis Reinhart and start there. You'll learn a lot by using it and Dennis's base tune is fun.

Good luck.
Rich

+1..................

RF Overlord
11-21-2006, 07:42 AM
¿I can do a tunes with the Xcal to a complete stock 4R70W transmission without replace internal parts?Yes.

¿Do I have to replace the stock clutches of the 4R70W transmission when I do the changes in tuning the tranny for more firmer shifts I mean racing clutches?No.

¿what is the function of the torque converter in a 4R70W transmission?Read this (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter1.htm).

ckadiddle
11-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Start with an xcalibrator 2 with a tune purchased from one of our site vendors. Both Lidio and Dennis Reinhart do excellent work. I went for a year stock then added a DR tune. Can't ever imagine going back to stock. Shifts are firmer and quicker. I only have experience with the tuner on a Marauder, but I imagine it would help out a stock Grand Marquis/Crown Vic quite a bit.

stryker
11-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Stryker,

However, I am extremely pleased with my Art Carr L2 kit which included new clutches.:confused: ¿What is the Art Carr L2 Kit,which parts form that kit?

STRYKER.:burnout:

stryker
01-06-2007, 10:40 PM
:cool: Ok Mangs, I buy the PA tranny Pan and a Motorcraft filter plus the next tranny fluid will be with the same as last flushing, Valvoline MerconV in that flushing I will change filter and install the tranny pan,pics will be posted during and after the job was done so wait for it.

:wreath: STRYKER :burnout: