PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

hdirish50
11-27-2006, 07:46 PM
I would like to know if any members here have satellite radio, especially SIRIUR. If so, are you getting static when using the satellite radio and what have you done to prevent this?

I recently purchased SIRIUS and when I use it in the MM I am getting a lot of static. I have tried different radio stations and it has not helped. I was also told that I needed a FM modulator relay and that it would cost me $80.00 to have it installed.

If anyone from the Philadelphia are could tell me what station they have their radio tuned to I would appreciate it. I am trying to figure out if I am just using the wrong radio station, or if I really need the modulator. Any response would be helpful.

mailman
11-27-2006, 07:59 PM
I would guess you need to find a better station. I've had sirius for a few years now with little trouble. Sometimes when traveling I'll get some static, a station bleeding over, and have to select a cleaner station in that area.

fastblackmerc
11-27-2006, 08:11 PM
I don't have sat radio in my MM but when I rent from Hertz (over 30+ times a year) and I get Sirrus (@ 12 times already this year) it always cuts out for about 5 seconds... dead air... this happens in town, on the highway, in the moutains, everywhere. Happens at least once an hour which $ucks on long drives. The cars have had the antenna mounted all over the vehicles so I assume it's not that.

The company I work for is a supplyer to XM and I get a discount on their equipment (not the service). Most discounts are at least 50% with some being free. PM my if you want the info.

Skiordie53
11-27-2006, 10:13 PM
I have no problems, love my sirius, although i put in a sat ready deck with a sat tuner box.

MarauderMark
11-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Yeah i bought as soon as Howard Stern:eek: switched over(ch 100 & 101)
..Yes i do get the static but was told if i switch up my antenna with the one the rigs use i should have no problem.:D ..

mrjones
11-28-2006, 06:40 AM
When you're getting static, it's most likely because you have the FM transmitter tuned to a frequency where theres a fairly strong "real" radio station. Just search on the dial nearby and reset your frequency on the Sirius.

SMOKE
11-28-2006, 07:00 AM
I went the modulator route. Plenty of room behind the radio to hide it. Very painless install if you have the "keys" to remove our radio. 100% static free performance. Using the Sirius Starmate Replay. Modulator was only $20.00 right on the Sirius website (HERE (http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=658612&catParentID=7872&scId=7872)).

Also, mounted the antenna on top of the third brake light housing on the rear deck (as seen here elsewhere in another post). Works like a charm, didn't have to mount on the paint outside, and there is minimal cutout (at least here in the Northeast).

JWM

hdirish50
11-28-2006, 08:56 AM
What Sirius unit are you using?

For the money of the modulator, you can get a direct connect interface from Blizsafe or PIE. Check Logjam Electronics. www.logjamelectronics.com (http://www.logjamelectronics.com)

I have the Stratus unit

Marauder_Santa
11-28-2006, 04:05 PM
I have had Sat in my car from the day I bought it. I have had no problems. When I first installed in my truck, which I traded for the MM, I had it hooked up through the FM antenna. Get the hard wire connection - FM Modulator, Makes a world of Difference. I have Sirus.

MM_BKK
11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Your factory radio is probably losing sensitivity with its receiver. My was just getting a lot of static at about 35,000 miles. It would only work if I went near Philly and only a few stations came in. This is a known problem with the Marauder's radio. It's also a possibility that your Sirius radio is not transmitting strong enough signal to overcome interference from the same radio station or to overcome the weak receiver sensitivity. You might find a station that works fine for a while, then depends where you are and it would get static again. The best way to hook your Sirius radio to your factory stereo is with a Auxiliary Input Adapter. You never have to worry about radio station interference problem again! You'll have a rock solid connection. It will sound way much better than being transmitted by your unit's FM modulator.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd03aux.html