PDA

View Full Version : Hand flasher wet ? Lidio?

Magicape
11-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Lidio, I got the tune from you--the one to which you removed the dumb warnings. I had the unit in a tote box which got water in it--don't know if the flasher was wet because I found the problem well after the fact. If I want to erase a code should I go ahead and try or might I ruin the whole tune if the unit is damaged? Is there a way for me to check it or should I send it back to you?

Lidio
11-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Lidio, I got the tune from you--the one to which you removed the dumb warnings. I had the unit in a tote box which got water in it--don't know if the flasher was wet because I found the problem well after the fact. If I want to erase a code should I go ahead and try or might I ruin the whole tune if the unit is damaged? Is there a way for me to check it or should I send it back to you?

I've never had to help any one in a situation like this with one of these. But I've found with other electronics that don't have moving parts in them like the Xcal (no moving parts) Typically if you let it dry for a little while and maybe if you can get like a blow tip connected to a compressor or shop air.... I'd simply try to split it open a little bit on the side or some thing if your careful and see if you can simply dry it out. I don't know if I should give advise like this but if its already broke, you got nothing to lose. Other wise I cant do hardware repairs and checks on those, it ll need to go directly back to SCT.
If its not screwed completely, they'll be able to back the tunes I put into it and put them back into a refurb or new unit be it yours or like I said a new one.

Try to air it out and then plug it into some other Ford that you don't care about maybe at first as a test, and if it lights up and jingles, I think you'll be fine.

Thanks

KillJoy
11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
I agree w/ Lidio about the letting it dry thing. IF there are no moving parts, and it gets wet...just let it dry...COMPLETELY!!!

Like....let it sit in the middle of a dry (not humid) room for several days. Shouldn't be too bad.

I once worked on a Notebook Computer was was dropped into a vat of hydrolic fluid. The Motherbaord still worked just fine..... the screen, hard drive, cd-rom, etc...not so good. :rolleyes:

KillJoy

ckadiddle
11-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Let it dry overnight in a well air-conditioned room with the ceiling fan on high. A/C units pull moisture out of the air and the extra air movement from the ceiling fan will help dry out the gizmo. Worked for me when cell phone went toilet-swimming.

Magicape
12-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks, guys. Next business trip I'll rent a panther type and check out my SCT!

CRUZTAKER
12-01-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree as well.
Particularly since the unit was NOT powered up when it got wet, it is unlikely there were any components other than perhaps the LCD that sustained damage.

We scrub circuit boards to remove excess flux in a slop sink. We just thoroughly dry them before powering back up.;)