PDA

View Full Version : Tow with a Tune?

Ryan Nelson
11-29-2006, 07:59 PM
I've got almost 100k on my 04, stock except intake. I tow a 2000 lb open trailer one weekend a month for 8 months out of the year. No probs - did the same thing with a crown vic (but the MM is SO much better!). I get 22-23 mpg driving interstate normally and get about 12 towing (probably only tow) .
I think I'm gonna get an Xcal2 and a tune. I dont drag race, I dont care if I lose a mpg or two, but dont want to destroy anything. I hate the shift points in this car and I'm gonna fix that. Will towing with a generic (non-custom) tune (Lidio or Reinhart, etc) do harm??

AstroVic
11-29-2006, 08:13 PM
It seems to me that the tune would only serve to help you.

I can't possibly imagine how it would make it any worse.

Grifter
11-30-2006, 05:49 AM
it can make it worse if they added alot of extra timing. I'm in the same boat right now. When i tow my snowmobile trailer this winter i will keep an ear out for pinging. if it does, time to grab the old Xcal2 and pull some timing out..

juno
11-30-2006, 06:33 AM
What grifter said. WIth the extra load there is a possibility of knocking. Check with Lidio or Dennis and see what they think.

Bill Lalk
11-30-2006, 07:26 AM
I've got almost 100k on my 04, stock except intake. I tow a 2000 lb open trailer one weekend a month for 8 months out of the year. No probs - did the same thing with a crown vic (but the MM is SO much better!). I get 22-23 mpg driving interstate normally and get about 12 towing (probably only tow) .
I think I'm gonna get an Xcal2 and a tune. I dont drag race, I dont care if I lose a mpg or two, but dont want to destroy anything. I hate the shift points in this car and I'm gonna fix that. Will towing with a generic (non-custom) tune (Lidio or Reinhart, etc) do harm??
Ryan, If you would like to save a $100, I have your XCAL2 in the classifieds. New from Lidio - not as aggressive as DR, perfect under load. My .02.

ckadiddle
11-30-2006, 07:55 AM
I am sure this has come up before and DR or Lidio could provide you with a secondary "towing tune". It takes about five minutes to swap tunes, worth the trouble to swap back and forth.