PDA

View Full Version : Server Maintenance

ADMIN
12-05-2006, 09:42 AM
>> Server Maintenance <<

MM.Net's IT Administrator has been in the process of updating server configurations to harden server security. One of the last steps in the process is to reboot the server at its remote location.

That reboot will happen some time in the next 48 hours. We do not have an exact time. The website should not be down for long. Please be patient.

Constantly refreshing a page will not bring it back online any sooner.

Thank you all for your continued support, so have a cup of Cheer while you wait.

:wreath:

silver_2000
12-07-2006, 07:28 AM
We are in the process of moving accounts to a new more powerful server.
The process is a little load intensive so you may see "server Busy " messages.
Im trying to get this done ASAP

crouse
12-07-2006, 07:39 AM
More Power!

silver_2000
12-07-2006, 07:46 AM
More Power!

Yeah the server will be Supercharged just like some your marauders

Sorry that was a cheap shot :nono:

crouse
12-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Some day mine will be.

silver_2000
12-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Well It took a HELL of a lot longer to complete than I expected but the site is back.

I clicked some of the links on the nav bar - they all seem to be working

If you find something that doesnt work just drop me a pm or a note here Ill take a look. Now that the paying customers sites are up its time to get mine working before I fall asleep on the keyboard.

My Apologies for the extended down time. The old server just wasnt up to the task of moving monster accounts like this one...

The new server has the HP and capacity to last us a long while:banana:

Doug

MM2004
12-08-2006, 04:10 AM
Well It took a HELL of a lot longer to complete than I expected but the site is back.

I clicked some of the links on the nav bar - they all seem to be working

If you find something that doesnt work just drop me a pm or a note here Ill take a look. Now that the paying customers sites are up its time to get mine working before I fall asleep on the keyboard.

My Apologies for the extended down time. The old server just wasnt up to the task of moving monster accounts like this one...

The new server has the HP and capacity to last us a long while:banana:

Doug

Horsepower and disk space are always welcome in my book.

Doug, thank you for taking the time in doing this. I completely understand the 'syncing' of data and how it always seems to take longer than expected.

Matter of fact, next week, I will be assisting with doing the same at the office, and migrating to another domain. All clients PC's must be renamed, new F/P server coming on alonog with a DC to promote and a host of other chores.

Again, your hard work is most appreciated.

Mike.

Rick-n-Miami
12-08-2006, 05:25 AM
I know all about big HP and space for hosting a site, so I know the great response from it. Congrats!

I have over 1k xeon's and over 900TB of space for my sites ;)

Bigdogjim
12-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Well I got some work done last night as a result of MM.Net being down:)

Thanks for the hard work and the move!

silver_2000
12-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Wow after 4 hours of sleep and being very concerned that it tool this long - its nice to wake up ( for a moment ) to this ...

I did notice before I went to bed some oddity in the MM.net emails - could someone with a an existing MM.net email please test both using your mail client and logging in thru the web interface ? should be mercurymarauder.net/webmail

Ive kicked off the tar -x of my sites - going back to bed for the couple hours that take

Thanks

SID210SA
12-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all your hard work>>>!!!!

jgc61sr2002
12-08-2006, 09:06 AM
I'am gald the site is up.:D Was about to have a panic attack.:D

silver_2000
12-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys

The server is a little slow right now ... Im loading the LAST ( boy is that a good word ) website

The amazing thing is that the server load is running between 20 and 30 and the sites are still working - slow but they are working - :banana: - the old server couldnt have kept up - it would have given up around a load of 10 ...

Doug

juno
12-08-2006, 10:24 AM
I can't post a new thread.

silver_2000
12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
I can't post a new thread.

What happens ?

system shows that
<table class="tborder" id="cpform_table" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="90%"><tbody><tr align="center" valign="top"><td class="alt1" align="left">New Threads Today</td><td class="alt2" align="left">10</td><td class="alt1" align="left">New Posts Today</td><td class="alt2" align="left">130</td></tr></tbody></table>
There are at least 10 new threads and 130 posts so far today

It may be a cookie issue ? You might try closing your browser and deleting any mercurymarauder cookies

fastblackmerc
12-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the upgrade... :up: Can you get the "goto last post" fixed?

silver_2000
12-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the upgrade... :up: Can you get the "goto last post" fixed?

Thats a question for Mary and the team but the goto last post link works for me

jabird56
12-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Just curious, would you discribe the differences between the old server and the new,....HP, storage, bandwidth differences. Just wondering what the Deltas are with the new step-up.
Oh by the way, thanks for the effort for the upgrade I know the difficulties and the planning that takes place for a system upgrade. Jay

silver_2000
12-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Just curious, would you discribe the differences between the old server and the new,....HP, storage, bandwidth differences. Just wondering what the Deltas are with the new step-up.
Oh by the way, thanks for the effort for the upgrade I know the difficulties and the planning that takes place for a system upgrade. Jay

The reasons for the upgrade were many. First the server is a dedicated server rented form a host up north, and they would have forced us to change the IP of the old server soon, some acquisition resulted in IP changes. That would have required some down time soon. The old server was doing ok performance wise but I wanted to add a firewall, an intrusion detection system and mail scanning that all would have had some impact on the performance.

The previous server was a single AMD 3000 processor the current server is a dual Intel Xeon. The only real change was the processor, the OS sees each CPU as 2 since they are dual cores. We didnt need more disk and already had 2gb ram. We are on a 100mb metered connection that we still have some head room on.

Finally the old server had been exploited due to software not being updated. While I had cleaned up the problems - removed the offending software and done rootkit scans. I felt it was best to make a clean break and leave any potential nasty files or problems behind. The server is current locked down VERY tight. And based on what I have seen the pages are POPPING. I have 15mb/2mb fiber connection at home and all the sites SEEM more responsive.

Mary and I had talked about leaving the sites up while sucking the content to the new box but the size of this account and one of mine made that impossible. The old box couldn't handle the load of keeping the sites up and doing the migration. So I took down apache to let the server focus on getting the data moved. The migration tools that are required by the control panel seem to choke on large photo gallery sites. So this site and one of mine kept failing after 2 or 3 hours of grinding...

Mary and her team have made an investment in hosting this site and I have made a significant investment in time and money to do what I can to keep these sites up and performing thier best. After all I drive a 410 hp pickup. Power torque and speed are GOOD things.. :D

Once again I apologize for having to bring the sites down but moving 6gb of data required that. The only things left are some temp file cleanup that I will do a little at a time. Then Ill do a final backup of the old box and wipe it.

Doug
Server Admin

jabird56
12-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Doug,

In my opinion, there is NO apology required. You did what you thought was BEST for a most efficient of the website from one server to another. This decision was for the benefit of ALL!. I....we appreciate your administrative MAGIC to keep the Marauder Clan together. Enough Said. Jay

silver_2000
12-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Once again I apologize for having to bring the sites down but moving 6gb of data required that. The only things left are some temp file cleanup that I will do a little at a time. Then Ill do a final backup of the old box and wipe it.

Doug
Server Admin

Thanks for the encouragement.

6gb was just this site the total was over 34gb to tar up move uncompress and then restore.

one other reason to move the old server had a bad habit of NOT coming back after a reboot. I was told it was a bios related problem with the motherboard. So we left that behind as well. Also the additional HP allows MM.net some room to grow and some room for more sites if I find some that might fit.

Doug

silver_2000
12-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Minor problem with uploading to the galleries is fixed