PDA

View Full Version : EDGE, or SCT

Raudermaster
12-06-2006, 10:47 AM
My father's debating whether or not to get the EDGE performance chip, or an SCT Xcal2, which he would get a Lidio one since you've proved the gains with it. The EDGE, though is very cool, and can be mounted on the dash, and the thing my dad loves it tells you diagnostics, which the SCT does, but he claims it would be easier for him to use. His friend at work has the EDGE, and it's like the easiest thing to use. He's just on the fence about it. He probably won't get one until after winter anyway, he just wants some advice for it.

Lidio
12-07-2006, 09:56 AM
My father's debating whether or not to get the EDGE performance chip, or an SCT Xcal2, which he would get a Lidio one since you've proved the gains with it. The EDGE, though is very cool, and can be mounted on the dash, and the thing my dad loves it tells you diagnostics, which the SCT does, but he claims it would be easier for him to use. His friend at work has the EDGE, and it's like the easiest thing to use. He's just on the fence about it. He probably won't get one until after winter anyway, he just wants some advice for it.

I was hoping some of the persons who purchased a tune from me might chime in and help you decide but since this post got no responses in a a day or two now I guess I'll brag it up.

What you need to watch out for with most of the other tunes or tuners is that they don't always address many drivability aspects of a particular car. Especially the automatic trans equipped cars. All they want to tell you or sell is what kind of HP it adds. We're as I tell people that most of what we address in our tunes cant be measured at the Rear Wheels, its seat of the pants stuff.

Ford and other car makes have proved now that for better fuel economy in today's vehicles one of the ways its achieved is "short shifts and early lock-up". But this can make for a annoying or non responsive feel when driving at what I call intermediate speeds or conditions. This is only part of what I address and others either don't or cant with what they have to work with.

Most of the things that I address also cant be done by the end user from with in the hand-held unit itself. Some can but some important things like lock-up and some shifting things simply can not. My basic pre-installed tunes fix a lot of this right from the start. Also on MM's I "enable" the factory installed feature that makes the alternator turn off at WOT. Others either don't or cant. This feature has proven to be worth about 5 RWHP with no side effects on N/A Marauder that I've done 100's of now.

Most generic or "can" based tune that come from the big guys usually only add a little bit of spark and raise rev limiters and speed limiters and that's about it. They tend to not do much with the little things that really can make the car drive and respond better.

Thanks

KillJoy
12-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Shortly after buying my MM, I got ahold of a Lidio SCT Chip.

AMAZING!!!!!!

Whatever it is he did, made a night and day difference in the way the car felt. It made acceleration oohhhhh so much better!!

I also did a before and after dyno. There was a good bump there too ;) But, I feel the MOST came from the Trans re-do.

Lidio's tuning....can't go wrong :D

KillJoy

Raudermaster
12-10-2006, 10:23 AM
I have a Lidio tune KillJoy, I love it! Lidio, you nailed exactly what my Dad's truck does, shifts WAY too early, and he feels like he's using more gas just to get the truck up to speed, which he is. I think after Christmas, expect a call from us. Thanks!

AstroVic
12-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I just installed Lido's tune via SCT Xcal2 on my 2003 Marauder and I can honestly say it was the best money I've spent on a car in a LOOOONG time!

I don't know about dyno results, but I can certainly tell you the car is an absolute JOY to drive now! By my butt-meter, I can tell you the car pulls much harder and shifts smoothly and firmly. No more sloppy shifts or gear-hunting expeditions through the slower speed zones.

Trust me, I don't give my unequivocal support to very many items, but this one is a real winner! Anyone who buys a Marauder should immediately buy one of Lidio's tunes. Period.

Oh, one last thing....

A good friend of mine, who knows all of these vendors very well, once told me:

"Imagine a block of wood. Now imagine you need a fine sculpture carved out of that block of wood. The other guys go after that block of wood with an axe; Lidio goes after it with precision woodworking tools. That's the difference between Lidio's tunes and the 'other guys'."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

fastblackmerc
12-10-2006, 11:52 AM
I;d go with an SCT & a tune from one of the 2 excellent tuners on this board. You can't go wrong, you won't be sorry and you'll be amazed with the difference.

Raudermaster
12-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I just installed Lido's tune via SCT Xcal2 on my 2003 Marauder and I can honestly say it was the best money I've spent on a car in a LOOOONG time!

I don't know about dyno results, but I can certainly tell you the car is an absolute JOY to drive now! By my butt-meter, I can tell you the car pulls much harder and shifts smoothly and firmly. No more sloppy shifts or gear-hunting expeditions through the slower speed zones.

Trust me, I don't give my unequivocal support to very many items, but this one is a real winner! Anyone who buys a Marauder should immediately buy one of Lidio's tunes. Period.

Oh, one last thing....

A good friend of mine, who knows all of these vendors very well, once told me:

"Imagine a block of wood. Now imagine you need a fine sculpture carved out of that block of wood. The other guys go after that block of wood with an axe; Lidio goes after it with precision woodworking tools. That's the difference between Lidio's tunes and the 'other guys'."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I know Todd, I have an Xcal 2 from Lidio...It was the first mod I did aside from the JLT. I'm talking about my father's truck. I know Lidio is an excellent tuner, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here got a tune FOR their F-150, no one's chimed in though. I wanted to see/hear differences from both sides. My Dad's friend has an EDGE in his F-150, and he enjoy it. All along, I wanted my Dad to get an Xcal2, and then compare the trucks together. I have no doubt in my mind that the Xcal 2 from Lidio will eat the EDGE. I think the reason he liked it the most, is that you can mount it on the dash since it comes with a nice nifty piece that blends onto your dashboard. I told him about the Livewire and how you can do that as well. He may wait until Lidio gets those in and play with them a bit. So, hopefully after Christmas Lidio will have a few in and my father will be one of the first to get one.