PDA

View Full Version : Asked this of Ford Technician

MAD-3R
09-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Question asked on the local Mustang Club boards that has a regular contributer from Ford Techician
Take it for what it is.
Ford Motor Company Technician, Mr. Roger Burnett, answers your questions!

Questions
The new Marauder is a bit of a dog off the line. The discriptions of the stall converter all say "160K high-stall speed torque converter." Could you explain what the 160k is? Was it a typo? Should it read 16k?

Answer
I wouldn't mess with the stock torque converter. You are not going to get much if any improvement. I have also seen the converter called a 160k converter, but I don't have a clue what it means. The stock converter should let you launch at near the redline.

You would see a difference in launch with 4.10 gears. The stock gears are 3.55. You will lose a little highway MPG and gain a little highway cruise noise. It should not effect your high end in the 1/4 mile, but it might effect your top speed overall.

cyclone03
09-26-2002, 11:18 AM
So can I take my MM in for a new converter because it launchs no where close to redline!
Seems to climb slowly to about 3500 then takes off. ;)
BTW in my opinion the trans programing shifts the best of any FORD I have ever driven. Stock.My chipped 97 F150 felted good too but Suck hiney without the chip.

Logan
09-26-2002, 11:18 AM
S....m....o...k...i...n...g...

c...r...a...c...k...

Any serious racing enthusiast knows that when you have a motor that makes power higher up in the rpm band, you increase the stall speed so that the motor is able to work in the power band of the motor and effectively "skip" the non-power making end of the rpm band.

Mr. Roger Burnett sounds like a man who works on Taurus's and Windstar's for a living.

His comments on the gears are accurate though...

JohnnyB
09-26-2002, 11:28 AM
Powerband of the 32v 4.6 is too high for the MM. The car is too big and heavy to have the engine revving at 4,000+ rpm's.

MAD-3R
09-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Had an ear, so I bent it. I also don't thnk he wants to have any liability for mods that might be handled based on his comments.

Hey, he works for Ford. GOt to protect his bread and butter. :)

cyclone03
09-26-2002, 11:36 AM
Thats what we need,A powertrain guy that is not afried of loosing his job.
Tell us what the prototype was built with and what we need to duplicate it.

Anybody know the cam spec our engines have so I can order a custom converter?

Logan
09-26-2002, 11:39 AM
Not sure what the exact cam specs are. I can get the question answered though.

Showing them a dyno graph accomplishes the same result.

Peak torque on my motor is 280ft lbs at 4200rpm. It starts making healthy torque at about 3200rpm though. That's where I plan on getting my convertor dialed into...

These motors are made to rev and that's the bottom line.

SSMOKEM
09-26-2002, 01:53 PM
Powerband of the 32v 4.6 is too high for the MM. The car is too big and heavy to have the engine revving at 4,000+ rpm's.
I wouldn't worry about the powerband beign too high. My 4400lb car shifts at 6500 and has run the quarter in 13.0 and 107mph NA, and I have very little torque below 3000.

I DO have a 3800 stall and 3.73 gears, however :)

I also agree with Logan that the Ford tech needs to go back to car school........

b4z
09-26-2002, 03:46 PM
Put it in neutral.....floor it...... then jam it into first.......It will leave at redline.
ROTFLMAO.

PS.
It may leave some other things too!!