PDA

View Full Version : 14" or 18" magnaflows?

Grifter
12-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Is there a major difference in sound between the 2? i realize the 18's will be a bit quieter due to the extra length. does one of them fit in place of the stock mufflers better?

magindat
12-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Is there a major difference in sound between the 2? i realize the 18's will be a bit quieter due to the extra length. does one of them fit in place of the stock mufflers better?

Holy *****, yes. A difference you wouldn't believe unless you've had both. And yes, would-be flamers, I have had both.

With 18's and non res tips, you really won't know you changed mufflers all that much. Although the car will be a tiny bit more eager.

With 14's, (esp with non-res tips), the guy next to you in traffic knows not to play - or get spanked. They are low and reletively quiet till you ask for torque and then they sound like they're gonna eatcha!

Folks here will whine and complain about 'drone'. I like it, personally. I can feel and hear (unless the stereo is up) what my motor is doing and I like being 'in touch' with the machine.

To each his own. Both WILL help flow. Both WILL need a muffler shop and fabrication.

Get the 14's now. Save some money, cuz you'll want 'em later anyways.

magindat
12-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Just saw this.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32437
Get these, too.
Go to the muffler shop. Have the 14's welded in as far back as possible (the back cut when removing the stock muffler). A filler pipe will make up the difference.
Have the above tips welded on with 1.5" extentions (assuming a 1/4" weld on each side) to extend them an inch further out (helps prevent the 'drone').
Then go scare some ricers!!!
BTW, you'll get a little torque out of the deal.
I promise, it'll sound old-school. But beware, the other half will either LOVE it, or HATE it. YMMV!
Oh yeah, and go find an overpass or toll booth. Pop it into neutral and rev it quick to 4500. Try not to lose control of the car while giggling.
Good luck bro.
Rich
Hey, PM me if you want a number to call and hear for your self.

Grifter
12-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Sounds like my you guys are on the same side i am. i was leaning towards the 14". I had magnaflows on my Mark VIII, and they sounded good.
I have the delete tips, and they are already extended out past the bumper. so 14" it is i do believe.

who has the part number for the right 14" muffler?

magindat
12-11-2006, 02:53 PM
part number depends on stainless or aluminized. Just look up a magnaflow dealer in your area and have it done where you buy it.

http://www.magnaflow.com/01home.asp

That's what I did. Made a friend of the shop owner, to boot!!!!

jabo731
12-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Grifter I had the 14s for about a year. My car has the full Kooks no cats and at the time Megs Deletes 3.5,(now 4 inchers) and 4:30 gears with PI 3000 stall. Like Magindat said under load you really hear them. The problem I had that after a while they seemed to get raspy at Higher Rpms. I opted for the Flowmaster super 40s for the American Muscle sound exspecially at idle. The FMs have been on the car for 8 months now with no problems

Grifter
12-11-2006, 03:40 PM
bah.. i'm not paying someone to do what i can do in my garage.
I'm going to get the non polished stainless ones. i dont need to spend the extra money to get something shiney that i will never see.

KillJoy
12-11-2006, 04:27 PM
i dont need to spend the extra money to get something shiney that i will never see.

:up:

KillJoy