PDA

View Full Version : Vortech , Procharger. What's the difference?

RCSignals
12-13-2006, 11:10 PM
I've read this thread http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22860

It contains a lot of good information.

Personally I've always liked the Trilogy set up. Ever since Jerry started posting about it when it was being developed, posting pictures of pieces as they were finished, and the final complete 'kit'
Ford really should have made this an offering, on the car, or as a separate package, IMO.

Anyway, that isn't the point of starting this thread. I've read a lot on the Trilogy.

I'd like to to hear more on the 'Vortech' and 'Procharger' offerings. Pros and cons, etc.

I saw the Trilogy, KB and DR setups at MV2. Haven't seen the FIT.

If you've bought one, what made you decide to go the way you did?

I know we can keep this a civil thread. I believe all the offerings are good.

Thanks.

Gre8one7
12-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Already started the discussion here

http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815"

Vortech347
12-13-2006, 11:59 PM
My 2 cents....*puts flame suit on*

I'm all for the DR Air/Air kit. Not only is it one of the best priced but I run vortech's in 2 of my cars and they are awesome blowers and very reliable. The S-trims used are good for up to 680hp. I'm running one for 570rwhp in my mustang with only 10psi.

I like the Trilogy kit for its OEM like install. But what I don't like is the blower they use. The Eatons tend to run outa steam around 450rwhp (no nitrous) because it starts to lose its effeciency with heat and spinning faster. All my buddy's with 03/04 cobras are at a brick wall and turning to nitrous for more power. The only roots/twinscrew blowers that can surpass the Eaton are the KB's and whipples. (have to make a custom kit yourself, no one makes a specific kit yet)

If money wasn't an issue I'd definatly go HP turbo system.... Sooooooo much power can be made with alot less parasitic loss and drag on the engine. With turbo's the sky is the limit. (well the limit of the paris hilton sized rods and hypercraptastic pistons)

One major thing to realize is that there are what? 11k total Marauders out there? A demand for aftermarket parts isn't much. Considering the production numbers I think we're pretty damn lucky to have the selections that we do and the great vendors on here to get products from. Dennis's shop and Lidio's shops are pretty great in working with you.

Keep this a civil thread? You've posted a question thats like throwing a 1lb of beef in a tank full of 30 piranha's. I don't know why but people are soooooooo touchy about it. I'm gona sit back and watch the feeding.

RCSignals
12-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Already started the discussion here

http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815" (http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815%22)

Thanks for the link. I'm sure similar discussions have been started at other forums too.

Hopefully the discussion here can continue.

teamrope
12-14-2006, 01:13 AM
I had driven cars all with 3 kits before I purchased mine and they are a huge improvement over stock. Whichever kit you want to get you will be happy with. I went with FIT mainly for the sale price.

The install was pretty strait forward. I didn't have to tap into the oil pan to lube the S/C, and the kit comes with extra tubing so you can tweak where you want to run the plumbing to some extent. I've hit 12's consistently with nothing else but gears on a safe street tune.

The downside is that I have about 4" less ground clearance up front. (Although the tubing does kind of look like the car has fangs)

thePunisher
12-14-2006, 05:46 AM
im a big vortech fan....bottom line is i trust em! ive had 6 vortech blowers over the last 5 years..from all out race to daily drivers..ive never had one fail, leak or need repair. they are insanly durable! their kits are top notch also. the parts they use, imo, are of a better quality than the procharger offerings. ive installed a few procharger kits and i wasnt impressed with the quality of the parts used. too many cheap rubber elbows, etc. not to say that FIT kit is this way!! that is a custom kit not from procharger. but the fit and finish of the vortech kits is great!

O's Fan Rich
12-14-2006, 06:41 AM
I considered them all, studied them all, wanted them all, asked questions of those who had them.
I bought mine due to a discount coupon at the right time, and I was convinced it was the way to go, even though "She" wanted me to spend less.

I say just get a freakin' supercharger and have it tuned professionally.
You'll like it.

magindat
12-14-2006, 06:43 AM
To keep it simple...
Vortech and Procharger are largely similar set-ups. There is a vendor for each who makes a KIT on this site. Both are great. Both vendors are stand-up guys. The kits are very similar (air-to-air).
The main difference I see is that the DR Vortech kit uses the engine's oil supply and requires a few moments to warm up. In contrast, the FIT Procharger kit has it's own oil supply, but has to be manually changed separately from the engine oil every 6K miles (I think).
That's the main difference I see and the pros and cons of the difference. Other-wise they are largely similar. With similar vendor support.
Happy Shopping.
Rich

FordNut
12-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Vortech:
Oil supply from engine, requires punching oil pan hole for return and adding a supply fitting along with the hoses.
ProCharger:
Self-contained oil system, uses special (expensive) oil and must be changed separately from the engine oil. Note: some ProCharger head units also require external oil supply but not the P1SC, D1SC, F1A, and others commonly used on the mod motors.

Vortech:
Massive, cast aluminum bracket: looks very well made.
ProCharger:
Aluminum plate with holes and slots to mount it to the engine. Seems kinda rinky-dink but it works.

Vortech:
A little whistle.
ProCharger:
A loud whistle, grinding noises in the gearbox (normal noise due to the straight-cut gears).

Vortech:
Cast aluminum impeller.
ProCharger:
Billet aluminum impeller.

As for the kits themselves,
Vortech:
Available air-air or air-water. Air-air is easier and performs well. The tubing and intercooler fit well and tuck up into frame chassis recesses. Air-water can support the use of ice at the drag strip for cooler intake charge. Air-water has the MAF and air filter in the fenderwell.
ProCharger:
Air-air only, 2 different setups. One setup puts the intercooler behind the bumper, the other hangs down with a scoop. Both systems use short sections of pipe with lots of couplings. Both systems have piping that drops down and reduces ground clearance.

Performance:
Depending on options ordered, they can perform at equivalent power levels. Both base kits are about 400-450 rwhp, about the limit for a stock bottom end. Both kits can be ordered with upgraded head units, more than enough to destroy a stock bottom end.

magindat
12-14-2006, 07:51 AM
I agree with all FordNut's observations except the FIT plate. It's 1/2 inch aluminum plate and is very strong. I think the chain covers it bolts to would break before that plate!!!!

Still, they are very similar in the end.

Marauderjack
12-14-2006, 08:31 AM
I initially wanted a Trilogy because of the OEM look but after looking at all of them I decided on the ProCharger from Greg!!:beer:

Price was not so much an issue but certainly a factor and Greg gave me the $4500.00 deal and THE CHALLENGE OF THE FIRST "SELF INSTALL"!!!!!:eek:

I like challenges and met it head on......And after some serious EEC problems due to a LOST OEM "STOCK TUNE".....We had it going!!:cool: Greg's "Tuner" Dave Lamberson is a TRUE MAGICIAN with tuning!!!:bows:

The Vortec is a nice setup but I don't like poking a hole in ANY OIL PAN.....PERIOD!!!:argue: I'm also not too wild about circulating engine oil through the blower....but it seems to work fine??:confused:

Any of the "Big Three" will make "Da Beast" come alive and breathe FIRE!!:beer:

I have over 42K miles on my ProCharger and it is stronger today than it was this time last year.....Partly due to tuning improvements and partly due to my engine being looser.....I guess??:confused:

Marauderjack:D :D

Dennis Reinhart
12-14-2006, 08:53 AM
I've read this thread http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22860

It contains a lot of good information.

Personally I've always liked the Trilogy set up. Ever since Jerry started posting about it when it was being developed, posting pictures of pieces as they were finished, and the final complete 'kit'
Ford really should have made this an offering, on the car, or as a separate package, IMO.

Anyway, that isn't the point of starting this thread. I've read a lot on the Trilogy.

I'd like to to hear more on the 'Vortech' and 'Procharger' offerings. Pros and cons, etc.

I saw the Trilogy, KB and DR setups at MV2. Haven't seen the FIT.

If you've bought one, what made you decide to go the way you did?

I know we can keep this a civil thread. I believe all the offerings are good.

Thanks.

Call the respective Vendors let them explain what they have to offer.

Vortech347
12-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Vortech:
Oil supply from engine, requires punching oil pan hole for return and adding a supply fitting along with the hoses.
ProCharger:
Self-contained oil system, uses special (expensive) oil and must be changed separately from the engine oil. Note: some ProCharger head units also require external oil supply but not the P1SC, D1SC, F1A, and others commonly used on the mod motors.

The pan part is easy. Takes about 5 minutes to do.

Vortech:
A little whistle.
ProCharger:
A loud whistle, grinding noises in the gearbox (normal noise due to the straight-cut gears).

Also the Vortech can be hand in either sneaky or screamer in S-trims. SQ vs V1. I have a V1 and lets just say you can hear me coming.....SQ's are damn near silent.

Performance:
Depending on options ordered, they can perform at equivalent power levels. Both base kits are about 400-450 rwhp, about the limit for a stock bottom end. Both kits can be ordered with upgraded head units, more than enough to destroy a stock bottom end.

:beer:

HwyCruiser
12-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Unless one selects the horizontal (or chin) mounting location, all the pipes on the ProCharger kit can be tucked up behind the fascia with a minor modification to the "stock" routing. It takes 3 additional elbows to get the intercooler outlet pipes around the driver's side of the radiator instead of under it.

Where's the pipes?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/jdomino/Marauder/th_park4.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/jdomino/Marauder/park4.jpg)

Loco1234
12-14-2006, 08:28 PM
I currently have an SQ-trim and you can hear it but its much quietier than any of super you will find (centrifical wise)

Although I am currently upgrading the supercharger to a T-trim...

10psi boost to 16 psi boost

magindat
12-15-2006, 06:52 AM
I did exactly this an MarauderMarc's car and it worked nicely.

Unless one selects the horizontal (or chin) mounting location, all the pipes on the ProCharger kit can be tucked up behind the fascia with a minor modification to the "stock" routing. It takes 3 additional elbows to get the intercooler outlet pipes around the driver's side of the radiator instead of under it.

Where's the pipes?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/jdomino/Marauder/th_park4.jpg (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/jdomino/Marauder/park4.jpg)

MarauderTJA
12-15-2006, 07:28 AM
I have had two Prochargers on prior Mustangs I owned. The first a 93 SVT Cobra and a 2001 GT. Drag raced the 93 Cobra extensively for 4 years, never raced the 01 GT. Both performed extremely well without any problems. Put 25K on my 01 GT with the P1SC.

I was looking at the Vortech and Trilogy and were considering them for my Marauder. Then I heard the there was a Procharger kit coming out. I ended buying F.I.T. Procharger #2. Had some initial tuning issues being new, but got them resolved. I like more extreme HP levels so I ended ordering my kit with a 3.60 pulley making around 12 lbs boost. But keeping the motor safe was a priority. Fortunately for me my tuner (Scott Beer @ Diabloport) is less than three hours from my house. We found that due to the boost and power levels I had to upgrade my injectors to 60 lbs and add a mass air extender (MAfia). A safe 11 A/F, 12 degrees of timing, average RWHP 475. Spent more than 12 hours total on the dyno and I never had a problem with the entire set-up. A daily driver and drag strip barge that ran consistant 12.3 - 12.4's here in the hot Florida weather. I have the lower chin spoiler on my car. Love the look:D . I always back the car in to avoid hitting it though (old habbit anyway from being a former LEO)

Of course I then wanted more, so I had a professional forged motor build, upgraded my blower to a D1SC, three core intercooler and with a 93 octane tune the car is making 585 RWHP, again with an 11.0 A/F at 12 degrees timing. The HP level with the race tune is just plain :eek:. I did have a recent problem with an exhaust cam sprocket that broke at idle (thank God), a fluke according to Ford, which bent 6 intake valaves, but all is fixed. Overall, I like the simplicity of the the upgrade as well as the support that F.I.T. continually provides. Both the F.I.T. Procharger and the DR Vortech kits are great kits for our cars. Both can be upgraded and both are easy to install and de-install if you sell the car to put it into another ride. I just love that :whistle:. Centrifugals rule:up: The fastest car in Florida is DR's Vortech, for now, but not for long:lol: .

magindat
12-15-2006, 10:13 AM
I have had two Prochargers on prior Mustangs.......... and both are easy to install and de-install if you sell the car to put it into another ride.

Maraudermarc did exactly this. De-installed from wrecked Marauder and with FIT's support, re-installed on a 'stang.

jabo731
12-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Call the respective Vendors let them explain what they have to offer.

Yeah Dennis thats nice and all, but even though you guys are vendors you're also sellsmen. It's nice to get input and testimonials from customers.

GreekGod
12-16-2006, 07:33 PM
I like the Trilogy kit for its OEM like install. But what I don't like is the blower they use. The Eatons tend to run outa steam around 450rwhp (no nitrous) because it starts to lose its effeciency with heat and spinning faster. All my buddy's with 03/04 cobras are at a brick wall and turning to nitrous for more power. The only roots/twinscrew blowers that can surpass the Eaton are the KB's and whipples. (have to make a custom kit yourself, no one makes a specific kit yet)

Gee, the Eaton only makes 450 rear wheel horsepower? I must be a girly-man, I thought 450rwhp was an impressive amount. This is a very good thread!

RCSignals
12-16-2006, 07:47 PM
................... This is a very good thread!

It is. It helped me.

bigslim
12-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Gee, the Eaton only makes 450 rear wheel horsepower? I must be a girly-man, I thought 450rwhp was an impressive amount. This is a very good thread!

In know that Dave has 500+ hp at the rear wheels. This was after Lidio toned it down to make it more streetable.

sailsmen
12-16-2006, 10:07 PM
In know that Dave has 500+ hp at the rear wheels. This was after Lidio toned it down to make it more streetable.

I am curious, what does more "streetable" mean?

Why would someone tune a car to be "unstreetable"?:confused:

RR|Suki
12-16-2006, 10:14 PM

is this a real question? A streetable car is a car you can drive around everyday with minimal concern, after a certain HP traction and other things just become a hastle on the street, and make the car less fun out there... I'm still wondering if this was a real question :confused:

Vortech347
12-16-2006, 11:51 PM
450rwhp for a modded car isn't really much these days. Whipple on a 4.6 and now you're talkin....

Hell, GM (LS engines) and Mopar (SRT series) have N/A engines that pack more punch than blown OEM 4.6 blue ovals....

bigslim
12-17-2006, 12:01 AM
450rwhp for a modded car isn't really much these days. Whipple on a 4.6 and now you're talkin....

Hell, GM (LS engines) and Mopar (SRT series) have N/A engines that pack more punch than blown OEM 4.6 blue ovals....
Remember, they have more cubes under the hood.

bigslim
12-17-2006, 12:03 AM

I should have said more safe tune. Lidio could have gotten a lot more but he likes to tune safe while getting as much out as needed. Dave's car actually was pushing around 530hp but felt it was a little too much on stock internals.

RCSignals
12-17-2006, 12:08 AM

however, if those GM (LS engines) and Mopar (SRT series) were also 4.6L, they would not

max454
03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
sorry to wake up this old tread , but there is one more ? to adress on the 2 centr. set-up. id like to know if the tuners that come with the kits are similar for tranny and tune performance.
Im running with lidios xcal2 for now. How does fits diablo compare with the xcals ?

Marauder386
03-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Here is a recent example thread of a year old install...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33827&highlight=Dave

:cool:

txmarauder
03-21-2007, 06:29 PM
however, if those GM (LS engines) and Mopar (SRT series) were also 4.6L, they would not
That is what makes GM and Mopar smarter, They start off giving you a bigger engine to work with.:)

RCSignals
03-21-2007, 06:56 PM
That is what makes GM and Mopar smarter, They start off giving you a bigger engine to work with.:)

they have to be to keep up

RUSTY
03-21-2007, 07:07 PM
sorry to wake up this old tread , but there is one more ? to adress on the 2 centr. set-up. id like to know if the tuners that come with the kits are similar for tranny and tune performance.
Im running with lidios xcal2 for now. How does fits diablo compare with the xcals ?

+2 on this question.

GreekGod
03-21-2007, 07:12 PM
We have the elitist & sophisticated aura of a modern, DOHC engine. :beatnik: :cool:

The pushrod GM and He-me are crude, antiquated designs. :cowboy: :pimp: :puke:

They smoke no-filter Camels and drink beer, we abhor smoke and drink Diet Coke.

They must bow down to us, salute us, envy. :bows:

RR|Suki
03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
+2 on this question.

my opinion is diablo is garbage, The diablo chip in my car had the car running at 15 a/f at WOT...

HwyCruiser
03-21-2007, 07:55 PM
my opinion is diablo is garbage, The diablo chip in my car had the car running at 15 a/f at WOT...

My experience with Diablo has been exceptional. I love the Predator flash tuner, I love the support I get from F.I.T.'s tuner.

Since this is a Vortech vs. ProCharger comparison thread, I would just like to point out RR|Suki's Diablo experience was not in any way associated with F.I.T. or Injected Racing in any way.

IMO, his beef is with the whoever dyno tuned his VT/Paxton car. A chip is a chip.

DEFYANT
03-21-2007, 08:00 PM
My experiance is only with SCT. I'm a very happy customer. From what I have read, hardware is hardware. The talent is in the guy doing the tune.

RR|Suki
03-21-2007, 08:21 PM
My experience with Diablo has been exceptional. I love the Predator flash tuner, I love the support I get from F.I.T.'s tuner.

Since this is a Vortech vs. ProCharger comparison thread, I would just like to point out RR|Suki's Diablo experience was not in any way associated with F.I.T. or Injected Racing in any way.

IMO, his beef is with the whoever dyno tuned his VT/Paxton car. A chip is a chip.

Diablo did my chip themselves, whoever the hotshot over there is, and then again this past summer, I ended up pulling the chip out and nailing it to my wall. My beef is directly with diablo, no association with FIT here. Whether or not people can tune on diablo's software, I have no idea. All I know is that they failed hard. Sniper tuning all the way :D

RR|Suki
03-21-2007, 08:25 PM
My experiance is only with SCT. I'm a very happy customer. From what I have read, hardware is hardware. The talent is in the guy doing the tune.

I think the big thing is the software, go with what a good tuner near you knows, alot of the ways the functions work can be different. I say this having watched the background functions on the different softwares. Alot of it has to do with what the software allows the tuner to do, and what he can work around. I saw some interesting stuff, like functions that don't actually change anything, :lol:

HwyCruiser
03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Diablo did my chip themselves, whoever the hotshot over there is, and then again this past summer, I ended up pulling the chip out and nailing it to my wall. My beef is directly with diablo, no association with FIT here. Whether or not people can tune on diablo's software, I have no idea. All I know is that they failed hard. Sniper tuning all the way :D

Oh boy is this going off the deep end quick.

OK, so who tuned your car originally? When you were dealing with Diablo directly, were you working with them with real AFR data or was it all just shots in the dark anyway?

Diablo's corporate line is individuals have to work through their dealers to resolve any issues. This is just like SCT. But where Diablo fails is when they go out on a limb and try to help individuals that don't have a local dealer to work with. You're probably lucky they even talked to you.

I still say your beef is with whoever tuned your car originally unless you did a bunch of modifications to whack out the AFR.

RCSignals
03-21-2007, 08:37 PM

I have no experience with Diablo, but in the past I have heard not so great things about their chips, even engine failures because of them.

Things have apparently improved, and I haven't heard anything bad about their new flash tuner.

SCT of course has had the benefit of having ex Ford engineer(s) on board

RR|Suki
03-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Not that lucky really, I told them which car it was and they knew pretty quick. No shots in the dark really, everything was data logged, all parameters and such were sent. All I needed was to be able to command more fuel. If you want the whole story, at first they said no prob, new burn file on the way... then changed their minds and I got a predator hand help, which came right from them... this and that and the other, log the data send it to them... they say back... oh everything is fine... must be something mechanical with the car... so I find that kinda funny, and I respond that there is nothing wrong with the car, the background tune just won't let me call the fuel I need... a week goes by and so PMAS (formerly Pro M) happens to be in Lansing... Those guys come by and boom... I have fuel again... that's another pain in the butt becasue they are just MAF guys not builders anymore, they were just doing me a favor. However they used a Sniper box to get me my fuel, and I sent the predator back. So that's kind of it in a nut shell, all I wanted to do was call some extra fuel :mad2: It's not like I didn't have pump and injectors to spare... the curves were just jacked in the back ground :alone:

HwyCruiser
03-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I have no experience with Diablo, but in the past I have heard not so great things about their chips, even engine failures because of them.

Things have apparently improved, and I haven't heard anything bad about their new flash tuner.

SCT of course has had the benefit of having ex Ford engineer(s) on board

Did this thread run completely off topic or am I just being obstinate?

I thought the question was how FIT's Diablo tune compare to the XCal, presumably DR's tune since this is about Vortech and Procharger... but now we're talking about hardware. Has anyone ever lost an engine with an SCT chip in it?

RCSignals, would you run a mail-order SCT chip on your Trilogy kit? I bet not. These tunes are developed specifically for the application, not just cabbaged on as an afterthought.

I agree 100% with Defyant on this one, it's the talent behind the tune - not the hardware.

HwyCruiser
03-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Not that lucky really, I told them which car it was and they knew pretty quick. No shots in the dark really, everything was data logged, all parameters and such were sent. All I needed was to be able to command more fuel. If you want the whole story, at first they said no prob, new burn file on the way... then changed their minds and I got a predator hand help, which came right from them... this and that and the other, log the data send it to them... they say back... oh everything is fine... must be something mechanical with the car... so I find that kinda funny, and I respond that there is nothing wrong with the car, the background tune just won't let me call the fuel I need... a week goes by and so PMAS (formerly Pro M) happens to be in Lansing... Those guys come by and boom... I have fuel again... that's another pain in the butt becasue they are just MAF guys not builders anymore, they were just doing me a favor. However they used a Sniper box to get me my fuel, and I sent the predator back. So that's kind of it in a nut shell, all I wanted to do was call some extra fuel :mad2: It's not like I didn't have pump and injectors to spare... the curves were just jacked in the back ground :alone:

Bad choice of words on my part. I apologize. I'll just say if you're not tuning on a dyno (or at least with a wideband) then it's all just a guessing game and leave it at that. Anyway you look at it, it still sucks that you got left holding the ball on the tuning issues. It should have been squared away before you got it.

RR|Suki
03-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Bad choice of words on my part. I apologize. I'll just say if you're not tuning on a dyno (or at least with a wideband) then it's all just a guessing game and leave it at that. Anyway you look at it, it still sucks that you got left holding the ball on the tuning issues. It should have been squared away before you got it.

Oh was I ever on the dyno.. and at $80 an hour boy what a bill I had... and I actually have a wideband on my pillar. The whole issue was that I couldn't call for more fuel, the background stuff was maxed out for what reason I have no idea, I haven't talked to them since. It'll be a mystery forever :eek:

RCSignals
03-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Did this thread run completely off topic or am I just being obstinate?

I thought the question was how FIT's Diablo tune compare to the XCal, presumably DR's tune since this is about Vortech and Procharger... but now we're talking about hardware. Has anyone ever lost an engine with an SCT chip in it?

RCSignals, would you run a mail-order SCT chip on your Trilogy kit? I bet not. These tunes are developed specifically for the application, not just cabbaged on as an afterthought.

I agree 100% with Defyant on this one, it's the talent behind the tune - not the hardware.

I'm not knocking Diablo, and my comment has nothing to do with my Trilogy kit.

Who orders any chip or hand held flasher without providing info on the car their ordering it for? Are any even sold simply blind mail order?

The problems I was referring to with Diablo chips, as I said not my personal experience, were from a few years ago.

You can even find discussions about it here if they weren't deleted.

And obviously, results will vary between those who do the tune, but I haven't heard of any being catastrophic in a long while.

HwyCruiser
03-21-2007, 09:15 PM

I don't have any experience with the Xcal2 to compare it with the Predator. I assume you are looking for a comparison as far as the bells and whistles are concerned. How do you use your XCal now? Do you have specific usability questions?

As far as the out-of-the-box performance and transmission functions are concerned, Greg has tried to ensure that the base F.I.T. tune is on the conservative side as far as power potential (which can be unleashed with a little dyno tuning after installation). The transmission functions are more performance oriented than stock and handles an aftermarket torque converter nicely.

RUSTY
03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't want to hijack someones thread but In the past I have not heared any info on Diablo's tune regarding shift points or lockout for the t/c. I ask because the FIT kit looks good, but i like the emphasis Lidio puts on the transmision.
Does Diablo have a decent tune for the tranny?
Thanks Rusty

Sorry, I type slow
Thanks HwyCruiser for response

HwyCruiser
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm not knocking Diablo, and my comment has nothing to do with my Trilogy kit.

Who orders any chip or hand held flasher without providing info on the car their ordering it for? Are any even sold simply blind mail order?

The problems I was referring to with Diablo chips, as I said not my personal experience, were from a few years ago.

You can even find discussions about it here if they weren't deleted.

And obviously, results will vary between those who do the tune, but I haven't heard of any being catastrophic in a long while.

Sorry, I still don't think we're distinguishing the tuning techniques from the hardware. You say Diablo chips were having an issue, I'd say it was the tuner that had the issue. If the chips themselves had electrical problems then I'm the one with the misunderstanding here.

And yes, you can hop online right now and buy a couple of tuners for the Marauder.

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS-U7146

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SC%2D1724&cat=106

I wouldn't suggest it though.

HwyCruiser
03-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't want to hijack someones thread but In the past I have not heared any info on Diablo's tune regarding shift points or lockout for the t/c. I ask because the FIT kit looks good, but i like the emphasis Lidio puts on the transmision.
Thanks Rusty

I like it! :2thumbs:

RCSignals
03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Sorry, I still don't think we're distinguishing the tuning techniques from the hardware. You say Diablo chips were having an issue, I'd say it was the tuner that had the issue. If the chips themselves had electrical problems then I'm the one with the misunderstanding here.

And yes, you can hop online right now and buy a couple of tuners for the Marauder.

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS-U7146

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SC%2D1724&cat=106

I wouldn't suggest it though.

well the problem chips were apparently the ones with basic tune right from Diablo.

The hand helds in those links are probably fine for a bone stock car

Marauderjack
03-22-2007, 03:46 AM
Thanks Rusty

Sorry, I type slow
Thanks HwyCruiser for response

Rusty,

I will put Dave Lamberson up against anyone in the tuning "bidness"!!!:beer: :bows: I will also encourage anyone who wants a blower on their car to go with a hand held tuner....not a chip for numerous reasons!!:cool:

Dave had a mountain to climb with my car since my "Stock" tune was lost and an SCT tune with OEM trans schedule plugged in place.....UNKNOWN TO ME UNTIL MY DIABLO BLOWER TUNE WENT WILD!!!!:argue: That's all I'm saying on this SCREW UP!!:mad2:

Dave built me a truely "Custom" tune and yes it took several days but he stuck with me.......otherwise I would have had to remove the blower and stay N/A!!:(

FIT offers UNLIMITED tuner adjustments at NO COST......PERIOD!! (Priceless)!!

I have three different tunes for my car and can switch in a matter of minutes depending on what I'm doing with it!! Also, I had stalling issues only in neutral or park......Scott Beer corrected this in less than a half hour after I emailed my tune to him.......MAGIC!!!:banana:

I think the software available from both SCT and Diablo is the best available for our cars and it simply boils down to the individual tuner's ABILITY to use THE TOOLS.......'nuf said!!;)

Marauderjack:burnout:

RCSignals
03-22-2007, 11:50 AM
............. my "Stock" tune was lost and an SCT tune with OEM trans schedule plugged in place.................

Strange that happened, but shouldn't it have been relatively easy for someone, even a dealer, to flash your computer with a 'stock' tune?

max454
03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
thanks for the answers on the topic, so can we say the two also have similar end user adjustability ?

Marauderjack
03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Strange that happened, but shouldn't it have been relatively easy for someone, even a dealer, to flash your computer with a 'stock' tune?

RC......

That's what I thought but upon investigating I found that only a dealer can flash a "Non-Stock" EEC and the calibration code would be different than what came in the car.......The Diablo tuning software was not available for the newer calibration code!!!:argue:

This whole thing became ridiculous because of that LOST OEM TUNE!!!:mad2: :mad2:

But as I said before.....Dave saved the whole program for me and Greg!!:bows:

RCSignals
03-22-2007, 02:29 PM
I guess you never figured out how your car came to have that tune?

at least it was straightened out!

Marauderjack
03-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh yes....I know EXACTLY how it happened;)

I WILL NOT go into it on a public forum but if you are interested PM or email me??:cool4:

tmac1337
03-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Hardware is hardware.......you get a crappy tuner.....you end up with a crappy tune, poor running car.

Scott Beer at Diablosport is a very knowledgeable person. I just took 2 long trips with my car and it is dialed in perfectly! Thing is so fast it is scary. I blew away 2 BMW's at the same time on the FL Turnpike.....;)

You can't mail order a tune, or get a tune from someone else who changes it states away on a dyno in my opinion.

Beer knows everything about my car and built up the tune over a long time through dyno sessions and road testing. After my motor went forged I let him have the car for over a week to drive personally and tweek on the road. He tuned it again after he installed twin GT-40 pumps, when we found out that twin Cobra pumps could not supply enough fuel for the ProCharger system on my car:) .

Get a knowledgeable person to tune on SCT hardware and the results would be the same......it's all in the software!