PDA

View Full Version : Trans tune up

Bradley G
12-14-2006, 11:41 AM
If you were going update/upgrade your transmission, what would you do?

My trans has almost 44K , the fluid has been flushed twice and pan dropped once.

Marauderjack
12-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I'd wait until this one breaks!!! At 44K you ain't even got it broke in yet!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

greggash
12-14-2006, 02:28 PM
I just had my trans replaced with
an Art Carr built transmission, done by Dennis Reinhart

mine had just about 43000 miles,

Some people put in shift kits, some go a little further

this will carry me down the track for years to come, and still chirp tires at the shift

jim geary
12-14-2006, 03:10 PM
I'd wait until this one breaks!!! At 44K you ain't even got it broke in yet!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:
I agree with Jack. Your looking at a tidy chunck of change. Use it till it breaks.
Then decide if you want just a replacement or do you want something like an
Art Carr.? Decisions, decisions.:rolleyes:

Paul T. Casey
12-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Sounds like you're doing the reccomended service at like 22K miles. That in itself should be all the mods you need, as long as you hae a tune that firmed up the shifts. Contrary to popular opinion, these firmer shifts are actually easier on the trans than the soft factory settings. To make the shifts soft (some would say smooth) the trans "rides the clutches". I did some research on the trans, both here and at several other Ford enthusist sites. General concensious is it is a good strong unit.

magindat
12-15-2006, 07:05 AM
I just had my trans replaced with
an Art Carr built transmission, done by Dennis Reinhart

mine had just about 43000 miles,

Some people put in shift kits, some go a little further

this will carry me down the track for years to come, and still chirp tires at the shift

I did it first (and I think Greggy ended up with my core!!!!). Art Carr Level 2 at 39K. Worth every freakin penny!!!!!!!!