PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Leak?

ctrlraven
12-26-2006, 10:45 PM
This past weekend I was doing somethings around my shop for several hours while my car was parked inside. The next day when I came back I didn't pull up as far as usual and when I got out I notice something wet on my floor. Wasn't sure what it was, it was clearish green with a nasty smell to it. Later on I found out it was brake fluid as I checked mine and it was between min and max. It leaked out from somewhere on the front passenger side underneth the engine bay. Checked underneth the car and didn't see any leaks or anything wet looking. I know I need to add some fluid now, is their a special kind of brake fluid I need to use? At first I thought I was losing my mind because it smelled and looked like watered down antifreeze in my brake reservoir.

Don't know if it has anything to do with me taking my wheels off about a week ago to check my brake pads as they were making a little noise and did some searching on here and found out they may just need to be cleaned if their is plenty of pad left which their was so I just took a can of brake cleaner and gave the cleaning (avoid plastic and rubber stuff) and brakes seem better and no more noise. I did have to do a panic stop last night and the BRAKE light came on and I'm guessing that is due to low fluid level.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/PHOT0002Medium-2.jpg

JACook
12-27-2006, 12:47 AM
I have to ask why you think this is brake fluid? Coolant would be much more likely. What's it taste like?

It is normal for the fluid level in your brake master cylinder to drop over time. As the front brake pads
wear, the caliper piston extends farther out of it's bore to compensate, which lowers the fluid level in
the master cylinder.

For top-ups, any good quality DOT3 or DOT4 fluid will do, so long as it's fresh. I like the Motorcraft fluid,
or Castrol LMA. Do *not* use silicone-based fluid to top off.

RoyLPita
12-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Check the rt front caliper and hose. Those are the only components on that side. The master cylinder and the ABS HCU are on the left.

ckadiddle
12-27-2006, 07:30 AM
It's Marauder Snot!!! Your MM has a cold.

ctrlraven
12-27-2006, 07:49 AM
It's Marauder Snot!!! Your MM has a cold.
:lol: now that's funny.

Yeah I checked the RT front brake assembly and was dry, I guess it just one of those weird things with the car but I am keeping a closer eye on the brake fluid level and checking where I park at to see if I can catch it in the act. Thanks guys!

RoyLPita
12-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Check the line that goes to the right caliper and hose. It goes underneath the engine along the crossmember from the HCU.

Also, Is there any green looking fluid coming from the evaporator drain hole?

MarauderMark
12-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I have to ask why you think this is brake fluid? Coolant would be much more likely. What's it taste like?
In the words of Cheech and Chong
"Yuck , Tastes like dog S***".:D

ctrlraven
12-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Check the line that goes to the right caliper and hose. It goes underneath the engine along the crossmember from the HCU.

Also, Is there any green looking fluid coming from the evaporator drain hole?
You'll have to excuse my newbness, where would I find the evaporator drain hole?

RoyLPita
12-28-2006, 10:25 AM
You'll have to excuse my newbness, where would I find the evaporator drain hole?

The drain for the evaporator is about 8" above the right primary catalytic converter. It is on the bottom of the case. Keep us posted.

RoyLPita
12-31-2006, 02:48 PM
:bump: Any updates?

RoyLPita
01-17-2007, 08:59 AM
:bump: Seriously..........any updates??????????

MarauderMark
01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
:bump: Seriously..........any updates??????????

Good one ...anything?

ctrlraven
01-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Sorry Brian I've been tied up with work and totally forgot about lol. Now that you mention the evaporator drain hole I did look and tried to feel all around it and below it I saw a little stain of something so I guess that's where it came from. Haven't seen anything since that night.