PDA

View Full Version : shifting problem?

mark
09-26-2002, 07:23 PM
Has anyone noticed that if you shift from drive to reverse that sometimes the reverse notch does not get engaged? Also sometimes if you shift through drive the overdrive will not kick in unless you shift above drive and then back down????
Is this the way it is supposed to be or shuld I have the dealer check it out??

james_hart6
09-26-2002, 07:48 PM
Mark,

My M/M doesn't seem to do those things...

Jim

mensrea
09-26-2002, 07:49 PM
I have also noticed the reverse issue. IT doesn't happen often but you kind of have to move it around to get it to stick.

JamesHecker
09-26-2002, 11:30 PM
I also have the problem with it positivley engaging reverse. I plan on having my dealer address that along with the sluggish shift to third when I take it in for 5000 mile service in about 1000 miles.

JET
09-27-2002, 02:16 AM
I had the same problem the first day I had the car. I took it back to the dealership, the next day, and they made some quick adjustments and I haven't had a problem with shifting into reverve since them. It also felt tighter after they made the adjustments, so it obviously was loose. I don't remember what they did exactly but it was just a matter of getting the car up a lift and tightening something. I watched as they did the work and what ever the problem was it was the first thing they looked at. So it shouldn't be hard for dealer to adjust it. Hopefully they fix it as you wait and not take all day to look at it.

Good Luck

Ken
09-27-2002, 02:54 AM
I see that I'm not the only one with the problem with reverse.

03 Merc
09-27-2002, 03:18 AM
I have the same issue with reverse ocassionally as well....probably a little slop in the linkage / cable...

MAD-3R
09-27-2002, 04:36 AM
Ok, then it's off to the dealer...

cutt
09-27-2002, 07:34 AM
same problem!

cyclone03
09-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Mine has the reverse problem also,but I figured it was just me being lazy.

Now the shifting problem that does bother me happens in only 2 places in my drives.
When running abought 30mph I come to a right hand turn then nail it down shifts to 1st,then up to 2nd then stays in 2nd tell I stop select park and turn the car off.Then it's all good again.I can't get it too repeat twice the same day.(?)
I'm only at 1000 miles so I'm going to try to document it,count the shifts etc....
I hope it's just a programing problem.

Black Terror
09-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Mine has same Reverse problem.
For problem of car holding 2nd gear, look at Jim's problem with rubbing wire assembly, might have some bearing on your problem>
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54

NYSP618
09-27-2002, 12:40 PM
FOUND SOMETHING INTERESTING UNDER MY FRONT SEAT AFTER THE CAR WAS DELIVERED. A NOTE WRITTEN ON AN ENVELOPE WHICH STATED "REV, NFG, HOISTS" - THINK THIS IS ALL RELATED?

piglet
09-27-2002, 01:33 PM
Gents,

I too noticed the same "Reverse" problem. I am taking my car in to the service department on Monday for some other issues and will have them look at it then.

chapel1
09-27-2002, 06:29 PM
When I first got my car I was slip shifting it agressievilly and slid it in to reverse by accident.It locked up the tires instantly and scared the life out of me.I instantlly shifted it to neutral and was glad no one saw me,and that my transmission stll worked.You would think that if some bone head over shifed, that reverse would be locked out?Since then ,when I'm getting aggresive I just turn off my overdrive.

tvdone
09-28-2002, 04:47 AM
I have the same problem shifting into reverse. I just make sure it clicks in and it hasn't been a problem. But now that i hear some of you have had the dealer fix it, I'm going to ask them to do the same. THanks.

J D
01-28-2008, 05:01 PM
OK, I'm not one for raising old dead threads but I've had this problem ever since I've got the car and according to this threads and many like it, it seems like all our MMs have a reverse gear problem from day one where it takes a sec or some jiggling to get it to hook. Does anyone know exactly what happens and what to do other than just bringing it to the dealer?

Btw, I might just leave it be to keep the car original, unless its just a cable or something that needs tightening.

lastdaze04
01-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Mine works within its normal parameters, with no problems

Raudermaster
01-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Mine's been like that since I picked it up with 13k on it. If I go from Drive to Reverse, I have to like push it up a little until it's engaged. If I just simply put it into Reverse, the car will be in a Neutral state. Not sure what causes it but it hasn't affected the tranny negatively.

J D
01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Mine has been like that since I picked it up with 13k on it. If I go from Drive to Reverse, I have to like push it up a little until it's engaged. If I just simply put it into Reverse, the car will be in a Neutral state. Not sure what causes it but it hasn't affected the tranny negatively.

+2
mine is exactly like that. EXACTLY.

Marauderjack
01-29-2008, 04:28 AM
Cable adjustment......Dealer or trans shop can fix in 10 minutes??:cool:

Paul
01-29-2008, 04:36 AM
+2
mine is exactly like that. EXACTLY.

+3 me, too. I bought my car with 69k, now have 83k. Only notice once in awhile now - got used to it. Always figured it was slop due to her age.

Top Gun
11-23-2016, 08:33 PM
I'm driving threw a speed sone and I was Wondering y my transmission shifts all the gears before it hits 20 MPH.eaven OD

martyo
11-23-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm driving threw a speed sone and I was Wondering y my transmission shifts all the gears before it hits 20 MPH.eaven OD

The lousy Ford shift schedule.

RubberCtyRauder
11-23-2016, 09:00 PM

A tune will fix that shift schedule. see martyo, he can set you up