PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust System and Fuel Mileage??

Marauderjack
12-29-2006, 06:03 AM
Well Folks......Long 0ne Here,

As many of you may know I have upgraded my exhaust in multiple stages at Grand Muffler in Marietta, Georgia!! Stages are as follows.....

1. First I got Magnaflow 18's with the rest of the system left "Stock" as Todd was concerned about it being too loud for a "Daily Driver"??:confused: Resultant sound was very low pitched and VERY QUIET!!

2. Next came the 2.5" X-Pipe as they make more power than the smaller factory H-pipe!! Sounded a little louder but more "Zippy" and very little "Burble" that was apparent with the factory H-Pipe!! OK sound but not what I was looking for and Todd suggested High Flow Cats next??

3. Next were the High Flow Cats with the existing 2.5" X-Pipe and WOW.....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!:eek: I'd have never thought that Cats only would make that much difference!!:bows: I drove the car this way for a couple months and discovered it sounded very different from time to time.....Cold it had a very pronounced "Staccato" sound at 2300-2400 RPM's that mellowed significantly after things warmed up with a light "Flutter Sound" on acceleration!!:beer: Very pleasing around town and at highway speeds!! The only thing missing was the "Old School Burble" I had really hoped for??

Note: During all of this I was tracking fuel mileage and it was very consistant at 21+ highway and 18-19 around town......Very good for a big car with a blower....Totally satisfied except for the missing "Burble"!!??

4. I next called Todd to inquire about having Bryan fab me an H-Pipe so I could actually switch between the H-Pipe and the X-Pipe (Sound)?? As always Todd said bring it on and we will do one for ya!!;) The construction process took Bryan about 4 hours and the "H" crossover was placed as far forward as possible!!:cool4: The SS constuction is a work of art as expected but the sound is AWESOME!!!!

We were affraid we could never get THIS sound out of 281 cubic inches but it is amazingly similar to what I heard from '55 Ford V8's back in High School.....Truely "Old School Burble" from a PUNY 281 CI Mod Motor!!! WoooooHooooo!!!!!!!!!

I have attached pix of each!!

Now the REAL KICKER.........

From my house to Marietta and back is a little over 600 miles. The first 100 miles and the last 100 home are on two lane roads through half dozen or more small towns (speed traps) with the remainder all Interstates!! Remember my overall mileage over the last 42K "Blower" miles is 21+(H) and 18+(C)?? Well 261 miles of "BRISK" Interstate driving (Loving Da Sound) resulted in consuming 10.3 gallons of Shell 93 octane.....Hmmmm....25.34 MPG!!!!!!

Well.....My first thought was.....I didn't get it FULL and drove on through the small towns with only two lane roads!!

Now, since I "Track" every single tank of fuel I KNOW the fuel gauge stays above "Full" for about 40-50 miles around town and 50-60 miles on the Interstate...soooo it would probably fall off of "Full" in about 30 miles?? NOPE....It was STILL ABOVE FULL 80 MILES INTO THE TRIP and I was passing slower cars and in BOOST on many occasions. Normally I would expect to get below 18 MPG driving like this but when I filled up at home (Normal Station) I had 96 miles on it and used 4.28 gallons......22.43 MPG.....UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I called Todd and neither he nor Bryan feel the H-Pipe or any exhaust mod could make this much difference?? BTW, it was so dramatic I was worried about a failing fuel pump and running lean......but yesterday I drove it hard around here and FP is dead on and POWER is CRAZY!!:beer:

I will continue to track mileage to see what "Shakes Out" but so far I think the H-Pipe not only gave me the mellow burble I wanted but the added benefit of better economy.......??

Stay tuned and THANKS Todd & Bryan!!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

magindat
12-29-2006, 06:32 AM
I get lots of positive comments on my exhaust sound as well. I went larger H pipe from jump street. Glad I did!

Dragcity
12-29-2006, 07:17 AM
Nice Jack. Glad everything is working in your favor.

Marauderman
12-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Appreciate some explaination--I guess I don't understand some of this--

IN your statement # 4 you mentioned having fabed a change to be able to "switch" back and forth between X and H pipes--- how is this accomplished ?.....thats where I am confused... as the pics seem to indicate that you changed from the X back to an H pipe---thats what your really mean--you went back to a larger H-pipe--right?....maybe I'm trying to read to much into this---sorry.........Tom

Dragcity
12-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Tom,

I think he has two different assemblies.

Looks to me like Jack is able to remove the entire Assembly between the header colectors and the mufflers. 8 flange bolts and swap out in about 20 minutes....

chader
12-29-2006, 09:27 AM
nice work,allthough an h-pipe/x-pipe should not have anything to do with fuel consumption???keep us posted...?

Marauderjack
12-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Tom,

Joe's right.....I (we) weren't sure if the H-Pipe would sound better or worse than the X-Pipe since Todd has never done an "H" for a Marauder so I had Todd & Bryan fab a new H-Pipe where they might normally dissect the X-Pipe and use some of it in the H-Pipe....Flanges and such?? That would save a few $$$'s but I wanted the ability to switch back to the "X" if not happy with the "H"......So far I'm SUPER HAPPY with the sound and the performance!!!:bows: :beer:

Now for the improved fuel economy.......I DON'T GET IT EITHER.....Unless for some weird reason we hit a "Sweet Spot" for better exhaust scavenging??:confused: One thing I noticed right off is the IAC is acting just as if I reset the Adaptive Learning by disconnecting the battery....It still has not completely settled down...It usually takes 2-3 days driving??!!:cool:

The "Old School" exhaust sound is deep and mellow but she "Talks" pretty LOUD when coaxed!!!:eek:

In my book it is PERFECT now!!:bows:

BTW, I will probably sell the SS X-Pipe if anyone is interested?? It will bolt directly to the Stock Cat pipes but will have to be adapted to the mufflers!!

Photo attached!!:beer:

pantheroc
12-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Any sound clips coming soon? Nice set up!

RCSignals
12-29-2006, 01:29 PM
.............................. ..........
We were affraid we could never get THIS sound out of 281 cubic inches but it is amazingly similar to what I heard from '55 Ford V8's back in High School.....Truely "Old School Burble" from a PUNY 281 CI Mod Motor!!! WoooooHooooo!!!!!!!!!

Yes the Y-blocks had a very distinct exhaust note and Burble. Very sweet.

Remember, the Y-block in '55 came in 272 cu in and 292 cu in varieties so not too far off our puny 281 cu in!

Marauderjack
12-29-2006, 01:33 PM
If someone can host the movie clips I can email them.....I think?? They are pretty large files though??:eek:

Just revving it in neutral doesn't come close to the sound of accelerating under load though!!:shake:

pantheroc
12-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Not sure what level of computer user or movie editor you are, but here's some info. There are probably some other methods out there, but here's what I do, FWIW...

Depending on which version of Windoze you have, you may have a movie editing program already on your PC which you can use to shrink video. Some versions of 2000 and XP (not sure about later 98SE, Me??) may have the movie maker program.

Do you have movie maker? Select Start | Run, type in moviemk, click OK. If the program starts, you have it!! If it loads, continue.

Select File | Import into Collections... In the 'Files of Type:' dropdown, select All Files(*.*). Go find your file and select it, then click Import. It may take a bit to import.?.

Drag the imported video thumbnail down into the Video story board at the bottom. Then select File | Save Movie File. Select My Computer, then click Next. Enter a name for your movie your going to save. Browse to a directory you want to store the video clip into. Click Next.

Select Best fit to file size: Use trial sizes, typically I try 2Meg which can be uploaded to MM.net. When size is picked, click Next. Depending on size of video, the crunching may make it look very bad. (Note: you can cut parts from beginning and end, see Help in movie maker, type in Trim under the help search. By trimming off junk not needed at beginning or end of movie clip, the better the resolution at 2Meg compression).

If someone can host the movie clips I can email them.....I think?? They are pretty large files though??:eek:

Just revving it in neutral doesn't come close to the sound of accelerating under load though!!:shake:

pantheroc
12-29-2006, 04:41 PM
......................Oops, double posted same reply.

LILALLEYKATT
12-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Very interesting. I am considering some exhaust mods soon. Could you please post some better pics of where the crossover was placed by the fabricator...I have heard the closer the crossover to the engine the better...is this true ???

RCSignals
12-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Very interesting. I am considering some exhaust mods soon. Could you please post some better pics of where the crossover was placed by the fabricator...I have heard the closer the crossover to the engine the better...is this true ???

Humour. Love it

LILALLEYKATT
12-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh well at least I tried...

jimlam56
12-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Oh well at least I tried...
Al, you are truly a piece of work...:lol: :beer: :rasta: :censor:

Marauderman
12-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey Jack--Thanks for the explanation in post #7---You had me going there for a while---this whole new sound and MPG is really interesting----I would love to see/drive and hear your set up vs mine---someday when you know your gonna be close--lets meet and see each others MM---Tom

Vortech347
12-30-2006, 01:55 AM
I wish someone made an off-road X-pipe that just bolted up. Isn't there a mustang one that can just be lengthened in the back and it fits with the stock exhaust and stock manifolds?

JMan
12-30-2006, 05:34 AM

True Al. A crossover pipe (Either "X" or "H") is more effective the closer it is to the headpipes. The siamesing (sp?) of the "X" pipe plays an important role also. A poorly put together "X" can act as a restriction. Well, a poorly put together "H" pipe could too!

The closer the crossover is, the faster the pressure pulse can expand into the other passage. This becomes more critical at higher RPM's when the pulses are faster and the scavenging time is shorter!

HTH,

J

Marauderjack
12-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Update on fuel mileage......

Town only driving and I have to admit to a HEAVY accelerator.....MOTOR MUSIC.....19.2 MPG!!:banana:

I will have a trip next week to see what ONLY Interstate driving will yield??:beer:

Stay Tuned and HAPPY NEW YEAR folks!!:beer:

Marylandrauder
01-01-2007, 04:43 PM
what kind of converters did you use, Random Technology, do you have kooks headers, my marauder is stock, the pickup from a stoplight is not great, I was thinking about an x-pipe, high flow converters and mufflers, k&n air filter, and maybe 4.10 gears, I dont want to kill gas mileage, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marauderjack
01-02-2007, 05:08 AM
Marylandrauder.....

I have stock exhaust manifolds to a pair (one on each side) of Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats to 2.5" Custom H-Pipe to 18" Magnaflow mufflers to stock tailpipes and tips......SOUNDS VERY "OLD SCHOOL" and mellow until about 2500 RPM's and then it speaks rather loudly!!:beer:

The 2.5" X-Pipe is available if you are interested?? PM me for more info.

Marauderjack:D

Marylandrauder
01-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I am interested in your x-pipe, I guess from what I have read cobra manifolds or kooks headers are not worth much on a stock engine, I noticed at the end of my manifolds I have converters, so 4 converters, are these restrictive, and can they be replaced, let me know why you did not do headers, are the stock mufflers in your opinion very restrictive and do you know why mercury put 4 converters on the marauder

Marauderjack
01-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I am interested in your x-pipe, I guess from what I have read cobra manifolds or kooks headers are not worth much on a stock engine, I noticed at the end of my manifolds I have converters, so 4 converters, are these restrictive, and can they be replaced, let me know why you did not do headers, are the stock mufflers in your opinion very restrictive and do you know why mercury put 4 converters on the marauder

First off the X-Pipe is sold and already shipped to a member in Canada....Sorry!!:(

Secondly....I listened to everyone here saying that open headers (and OPEN FLOWING exhaust) hurt low end torque with our 4.6 Liter engines so I figured that with the blower I had a bunch of power up top and decided to keep the OEM manifolds which also took a BUNCH of installation grief out of the equasion!!:beer: BTW...Lidio alway said the OEM exhaust was pretty free flowing anyway and I believe him!!:D

Third...I now have a Custom 2.5" down pipe to Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats to a Custom 2.5" H-Pipe to 18" Magnaflows mufflers to stock tailpipes and tips.....VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS!!!:banana: I taped the sound on a WOT "Blast" and it really sounds GOOD with associated "Old School" burble, etc.!!! I can email it to somebody if they can host it so it can be posted here if anyone wants to hear??:confused:

Fourth....4 Converters are for emissions....I now have the two Hi-Flow ones and that change made the biggest sound difference of any of my mods....PERIOD!!!:eek:

Finally....I have two more Town/Highway mileage results to report.....18.98 MPG and 21.15 MPG and both with aggressive (listening to the exhaust) acceleration!!:rolleyes:

As I said before exhaust sound is very individually subjective and I think what I have now is PERFECT......for me!!:banana:

Tom Doan
01-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks, this is good info, I'm going through this right now with my side pipes. Looking at Edelbrocks ?. Tom

gonzo50
01-04-2007, 09:08 PM
.........and decided to keep the OEM manifolds which also took a BUNCH of installation grief out of the equasion!!:beer:
..........I now have a Custom 2.5" down pipe to Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats to a Custom 2.5" H-Pipe to 18" Magnaflows mufflers to stock tailpipes and tips.....VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS!!!:banana: I taped the sound on a WOT "Blast" and it really sounds GOOD with associated "Old School" burble, etc.!!!
...........4 Converters are for emissions....I now have the two Hi-Flow ones and that change made the biggest sound difference of any of my mods....PERIOD!!!:eek:
As I said before exhaust sound is very individually subjective and I think what I have now is PERFECT......for me!!:banana:

This is exactly what I want for my exhaust system to be like and sound.:banana:
"OEM Manifolds, Custom 2.5" Down Pipe, MagnaFlow Hi-Flow Cats, Custom H-Pipe, 18" MagnaFlow Mufflers, Stock TailPipes".:2thumbs:

lastdaze04
01-07-2007, 11:11 AM
You said you would sell the x-pipe? I am assuming that a good exhaust shop coould put it on. BTW mine is all stock will I have to make my whole system bigger? I don't know what size pipe the MM came with from the factory

Marauderjack
01-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Sorry the "X-Pipe" is SOLD and on the way to Mike in Canada!!:shake:

The "H-Pipe" continues to amaze me as the sound has settled in to be a very mellow burble on mild acceleration but farily loud but not ridiculous at WOT....really nice and I was very lucky to have arrived here with all the experimentation!!:banana:

The last mileage check was 130 mile round trip to Charleston last Friday that has normally been done at around 19-20 MPG (25 miles stop & go.....40 miles at 50 MPH....and the rest at 60 MPH....I ran the 50 MPH and 60 MPH portions with the cruise at about 5 MPH over)!! This time I filled up at the same station both times at the same pump and got 23.4 MPG!!!!:beer:

I will know a lot more next week as I have a trip to Charlotte (about 95% Interstate) and I have tracked this one very accurately over the past year....20-22 MPG MAX with the blower......I used to get 22-24 without the blower on this run!! :rolleyes:

Stay tuned!!:cool4:

ctrlraven
01-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Jack do you know the Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats p/n? The local exhaust shop around my way charges an arm and a leg for them so I'll have to get them and bring them with me.

Marauderjack
01-08-2007, 04:37 AM
I can get you the part number today......I think they are about $300.00 each??!!:eek:

They are just 2.5" Magnaflow "Hi-Flow" cats that meet Federal standards!!:beer:

The cats and down pipes were the most expensive part but by far the best change as far as sound and flow (? unconfirmed ? but stands to reason) are concerned!!!:D

I have attached a photo of them.....:)

Marauderjack
01-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Magnaflow part number is 94006 :beer:

You can probably find a good price on the Internet or perhaps a local dealer can fix ya up!!:D

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:bandit:

Sully008
01-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Sorry the "X-Pipe" is SOLD and on the way to Mike in Canada!!:shake:

The "H-Pipe" continues to amaze me as the sound has settled in to be a very mellow burble on mild acceleration but farily loud but not ridiculous at WOT....really nice and I was very lucky to have arrived here with all the experimentation!!:banana:

That'd be me!! Looking forward to putting this on my car. I'll be adding the Magnaflow mufflers as well. Don't know if it'll do anything for horsepower, but we'll see. So for my exhaust, it'll be stock manifolds and cats, "Grand" X-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, and stock pipes to the back.:burnout: It's almost an aftermarket catback.

ctrlraven
01-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Magnaflow part number is 94006 :beer:

You can probably find a good price on the Internet or perhaps a local dealer can fix ya up!!:D

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:bandit:
Thanks Jack! I'd rather spend the money being legal begale and having cats than going to emission and it be the one time they actually check under an OBD-II car and not see any cats and then start asking a bunch of questions.

Marauderjack
01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Yep....Don't blame ya there and as a matter of fact the Hi-Flow cats make as much power as the car will without cats......I'd much rather have them than not!!;)

I do know that the Magnaflow cats made more difference in the sound than anything else we did!!:bows: I would think that would equate to free flow and more power than the four OEM cats??:confused: