PDA

View Full Version : IAT sensor location

ggt4
12-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Where should the IAT sensor be mounted? I am finishing up but i cant figure out where and how to mount it.

Marauderman
12-31-2006, 12:30 PM
someone pay you to ask that question?????????

AstroVic
12-31-2006, 12:40 PM
someone pay you to ask that question?????????

Doubt it. That would've been in another forum.

He's trying to install his ProCharger kit.

DEFYANT
12-31-2006, 12:44 PM
The rubber pipe in front of the driverside head

Marauderjack
12-31-2006, 02:24 PM
I put mine in the rubber connector beside the dipstick!! Not where most put them (vertical tube in front of the head) but I figured the closer to the intake the better??:confused:

Mine works fine as far as I can tell!!:D

Marauderjack:burnout:

sailsmen
12-31-2006, 04:29 PM
This is where one member put his;

"I actually blew up 2 engines. My IAT was strapped to my A$$ and I used a 200 shot of nitrous."

:lol:

FordNut
12-31-2006, 05:08 PM
I drilled and tapped the aluminum throttle body adapter, then installed a Lightning-style threaded one just before the throttle body.

HwyCruiser
12-31-2006, 09:29 PM
I drilled and tapped the aluminum throttle body adapter, then installed a Lightning-style threaded one just before the throttle body.

This is where mine is too. I think the first batch of ProCharger kits were the same way. It was moved from being on top of the driver's side head to the front of the engine so it wouldn't be effected by the radiant heat retained by the hefty aluminum throttle body adapter.

Marauderjack
01-01-2007, 05:11 AM
JD,

Wouldn't you want it to see "All" of the heat the engine sees....radiant or not??:confused:

The EEC pulls timing as heat rises and if IAT air in front of the engine is 130* and at the TB is 140* wouldn't you want the EEC to respond to the "Pre-TB" reading??:cool:

Dave Lamberson may have a good answer for us on this one......

Happy New Year!!:beer:

Marauderjack:bandit:

FordNut
01-01-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm not sure the location is that critical, as long as it's after the intercooler. The sensor element is pretty well isolated from the body of the sensor. The threaded and the o-ring mounted type sensors are pretty much the same in this regard.

maraudernkc
01-01-2007, 08:10 AM
We did have the IAT sensor tapped in the Procharger cast Intake but it was reading 10 degrees higher than the actual Intake temp so we moved it in between the Intake and the Intercooler.

I'm not sure the location is that critical, as long as it's after the intercooler. The sensor element is pretty well isolated from the body of the sensor. The threaded and the o-ring mounted type sensors are pretty much the same in this regard.

FordNut
01-01-2007, 08:58 AM
We did have the IAT sensor tapped in the Procharger cast Intake but it was reading 10 degrees higher than the actual Intake temp so we moved it in between the Intake and the Intercooler.

So there's the official answer!

Thanks.

HwyCruiser
01-01-2007, 09:47 AM
JD,

Wouldn't you want it to see "All" of the heat the engine sees....radiant or not??:confused:

The EEC pulls timing as heat rises and if IAT air in front of the engine is 130* and at the TB is 140* wouldn't you want the EEC to respond to the "Pre-TB" reading??:cool:

Dave Lamberson may have a good answer for us on this one......

Happy New Year!!:beer:

Marauderjack:bandit:

Happy New Year back at ya buddy!

As far as the location of the IAT sensor in the cast intake, I do believe the radiant heat (or heat soak) of the hefty cast intake contributes a false rise in temperature reading to the incoming air, especially at low loads. But it's probably not significant as long as you aren't running an aggressive tune. What's a 1/2 degree timing among friends?

Rhetorically, if you wanted to see the true temperature of the intake air just prior to combustion wouldn't you want it located into the lower intake? I believe that isolating the IAT sensor from the background radiant heat of the engine as much as you can will let the tune do it's job in regards to intercooler effectiveness. The tune (per Dave) also takes ECT into account, similarly to IAT, so engine heat also effects timing calculations - along with probably a half-dozen other factors. Almost make you wish you had a distributor cap to mess with?