PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Cobra exh. manifolds? Direct Bolt-in?

Stranger in the Black Sedan
01-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi guys, I just picked up this immaculate 23k mile 03 Marauder the other day.

Pics:
http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/shylin01/

Anyhow, I own several musclecars, so I am not intending to go crazy on modifying the Marauder. I am going to do the Addco/Metco swaybar & control arm swap.

I have heard about using Mustang Cobra exhaust manifolds on the Marauder. Does anyone have a pic of both manifolds to compare them? Will the Cobra manifolds bolt right up to my stock exhaust, or is some tweaking required? I weld so that won't be a big deal unless the manifold outlet locations are very different. I really don't want to run headers because they increase interior noise, increase underhood heat, and usually leak, no matter how expensive they are.

Thanks!

fastblackmerc
01-02-2007, 08:59 AM

Pics:

Anyhow, I own several musclecars, so I am not intending to go crazy on modifying the Marauder. I am going to do the Addco/Metco swaybar & control arm swap.

I have heard about using Mustang Cobra exhaust manifolds on the Marauder. Does anyone have a pic of both manifolds to compare them? Will the Cobra manifolds bolt right up to my stock exhaust, or is some tweaking required? I weld so that won't be a big deal unless the manifold outlet locations are very different. I really don't want to run headers because they increase interior noise, increase underhood heat, and usually leak, no matter how expensive they are.

Thanks!
Welcome to the site & congrats on you purchase!

Your beginning mods are good ones. You also need to do a "tuner" to awaken the beast. There are a few good "tuners" out there, use the search function. Contact Dennis Reinhart for info on the Cobra exhaust setup. Let us know where you are located.

01-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi, I'm in the Fairfax, VA area. I am semi-savvy on EFI tuning, I do my own datalogging/chip work on GM TPI era stuff. I have a WB O2 and the like. I am not interested in making the gas mileage of this car any worse since it is not my primary performance vehicle.

KillJoy
01-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Howdy, and WELCOME!

Congrats on your purchase, as well....

Now, on to your Question.

03-04 Cobra Manifolds can be installed. However, they require the use of an 03-04 Cobra X or H Pipe.

The X or H Pipes need a bit of lengthing (about 4" or so). Also, and adapter needs to be Fab'd up to mount to the new manifolds.

When doing this, you may also want to consider a good set of you choice of 2/5" In / Out mufflers.

Also, the community has come to the conclusion that extending the Exhaust Tips out about 1" past the bumper helps to reduce the drone.

Good luck in your decision, and welcome to the Marauder Connunity!!!

KillJoy

01-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks Killjoy, that's exactly the information I needed. Sounds like I will do this eventually but hold off for a while. I have an engine on the stand for another car and another engine swap on top of that, plus I have some computer tuning to do on the other stuff.

Dennis Reinhart
01-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Pics:

Thanks!

I sell the complete kit and its a direct bolt in, call me any time I will be glad to answer all your questions.

01-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Has anyone gotten track times before/after the Cobra manifold/exhuast swap, with no other mods taken into account?

KillJoy
01-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Has anyone gotten track times before/after the Cobra manifold/exhuast swap, with no other mods taken into account?

Good luck on that one!!!

For most folks, a Tune, Cold Air Intake and Gears are done before the Exhaust. I am not saying that no one has done this....but you may be hard pressed to find them.

KillJoy

Raudermaster
01-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm intending to purchase a whole Cobra kit from Dennis hopefully this Friday. Will take pics for you.

magindat
01-02-2007, 12:49 PM

For comparison:
Me ----------------------------- Blackmobile
JLT intake ---------------------- K&N intake
Accufab TB --------------------- Stock
Art Carr Level 2 ---------------- Trans Stock
3000 TC ----------------------- Stock
4.10 rear ---------------------- 4.10 rear
Custom exhaust no headers ----- DR Cobra kit mentioned above
Conservative custom DR tune --- DR base tune leaned out
Average 1/4 14.5-14.8 --------- 14.1-14.5

It's either the tune or the exhaust or both. We race together somewhat regularly and have driven each other's cars.
Best I can do for ya...

magindat
01-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi, I'm in the Fairfax, VA area. I am semi-savvy on EFI tuning, I do my own datalogging/chip work on GM TPI era stuff. I have a WB O2 and the like. I am not interested in making the gas mileage of this car any worse since it is not my primary performance vehicle.

I didn't notice much mileage change if any on my original base tune. It's a great place to start esp. for shifting. The SCT tuner is a great device (as I'm sure you know). The consensus here is that it's definately the best bang for the buck for this particular car.

Dennis Reinhart
01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by VicsEvilBrother http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=457558#post45 7558)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>For comparison

Just exhaust, is not going to do much of any thing at the track, it will help the car on top end but a good PI converter and a set of 410's will do more good along witha SCT tune

magindat
01-02-2007, 01:00 PM
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;">Originally Posted by VicsEvilBrother http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=457558#post45 7558)
</td></tr></tbody></table>For comparison

Just exhaust, is not going to do much of any thing at the track, it will help the car on top end but a good PI converter and a set of 410's will do more good along witha SCT tune

Then how come Eddie keeps whoopin me?! :shake:
:lol:

Jus kiddin, D!

magindat
01-02-2007, 01:01 PM
These threads are really converging. Should they be merged?

Anyways, see here...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=457639#post45 7639

KillJoy
01-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Jus kiddin, D!

Better driver?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

KillJoy

magindat
01-02-2007, 01:40 PM
We race together somewhat regularly and have driven each other's cars.
Best I can do for ya...

Better driver?

KillJoy

Funny! :argue:

The night we switched, I ran his car's best time and he ran my car's best time! Go figure....

:shake:

MarauderTJA
01-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Better driver?

KillJoy

Maybe lighter:lol:

03SILVERSTREAK
01-03-2007, 06:46 AM
I have Pixs of the DR Cobra exhaust kit before install. PM me and welcome...

Loco1234
01-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Funny! :argue:

The night we switched, I ran his car's best time and he ran my car's best time! Go figure....

:shake:

is one Marauder an 03 and the other an 04?
tuning with the dual knock sensor on an 04 can allow for some extra ump without worry....

StevenJ
01-03-2007, 04:28 PM

Jus kiddin, D!

Cuzz you got thoose huge low rider rimz with the low profile tires....! All the stereo equipment in the trunk weighs it down more too. If you didn't have that audio set up and had the regular 18s, you'd run 14.2, perhaps faster! It is up to you man. Your car is top notch anyway. I mean, how many other MMs have a slick two tone?

magindat
01-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Maybe lighter:lol:

Is that why you keep urging me for an SC?! To compensate for weight?! :rofl:

A :puke: diet would be cheaper!!!!

magindat
01-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Cuzz you got thoose huge low rider rimz with the low profile tires....! All the stereo equipment in the trunk weighs it down more too. If you didn't have that audio set up and had the regular 18s, you'd run 14.2, perhaps faster! It is up to you man. Your car is top notch anyway. I mean, how many other MMs have a slick two tone?

Thanx steven...

Back to the point. I do think Eddie's Cobra exhaust makes a difference. Especially after driving his car.

MarauderTJA
01-04-2007, 07:00 AM
Is that why you keep urging me for an SC?! To compensate for weight?! :rofl:

A :puke: diet would be cheaper!!!!

I was wondering when you were going to respond Rich. By no means am I calling the kettle black.:D . I am on a diet (my own now) and you know as I do diets suck. But you can lose weight from acceleration, which is far more fun.:lol:

magindat
01-04-2007, 07:16 AM
All this talk is making me hungry.

Anybody got some used HEADERS for sale?!

You thought I meant food... I'm hungry for more SPEED!!!!