PDA

View Full Version : Alkycontrol

BigMerc
01-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Well after a lot of research and consulting with Lidio, I purchased a Methynol injection system for the Marauder.

I am the proud owner of a burnt piston and since it's replacement I do not wish to repeat those problems.

This system is no Snows system or a generic alky/water/ whatever mix system.

It's a dedicated high end Methynol injection system. The pumps are high pressure (as opposed to the low pressure generics) specific fail safes, low level indicators and a LED that notifies you the pump turned on.

It's programmable to when it turns on and how much it turns on. Most of all it makes horsepower and keeps the engine from going boom.

I posted some pictures in the gallery and a few here.

I have a T-trim Vortech and this is the first for this system on a Marauder.

Lidio was generous enough to lend me some expertise and advise me on this system. The business is Alkycontrol.com and the owner Julio was extremely concerned with quality and system integrity.

What I like so far is that this is a pure Methynol injection system. There are no mixes or half and half combos. The system is designed just for this.

I have not had it tuned for the system but 40+ HP is not out of the ordinary In addition to the engine safety factor. I am pleased so far, and the peace of mind is worth it alone.

I thank Lidio for the advice (and I don't even have a trilogy) and Julio from Alkycontrol for the patience.

I advise anyone with a high horse engine to look into the information and make your decisions you might save some money down the road.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/4/6/3/nozzle1.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/4/6/3/Led.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/4/6/3/Controlpixs.jpg

KillJoy
01-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Nice! I have been considering A/I / M/I since I got the s/c.

Which one of their kits did you get, or is it completely custom?

KillJoy

BigMerc
01-05-2007, 07:15 PM
It is an Alkycontrol system. Lidio looked into them and gave me the specifics of the system.

It's a High pressure system, well thought out.

Snow's systems use generic pieces, this is a specific designed system just for this application, like I said before no mixes just straight methynol. If you DID mix it the pump would be damaged.

Alkycontrol.com

RCSignals
01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Nice install!

KillJoy
01-05-2007, 07:28 PM
It is an Alkycontrol system. Lidio looked into them and gave me the specifics of the system.

It's a High pressure system, well thought out.

Snow's systems use generic pieces, this is a specific designed system just for this application, like I said before no mixes just straight methynol. If you DID mix it the pump would be damaged.

Alkycontrol.com

Yeah....I was looking at their site. I saw the Kits listed, I was just wondering if it was one of those, or a custom assembled kit.

KillJoy

BigMerc
01-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Sorry I thought you were asking something else. The pieces are the same as far as the controller, pump etc. The specific lines and lengths, filter and bottles were all custom as this was the first Marauder. Their locations dictated hose and wire positioning.

There is another option of relocating the battery to the trunk and use that area for the methynol container.

KillJoy
01-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Where are you storing the meth?

KillJoy

BigMerc
01-05-2007, 08:13 PM
In the garage as far as extra Meth. If you mean where in the car, it's here

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/smithisatwerp/Tankvent.jpg

O's Fan Rich
01-05-2007, 08:45 PM
MY SNOW IS BETTER THAN YOUR ALKY CONTROL STUFF!!!:neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:
Man I love the neener!

Ok, can we start Alcohol injection wars now? Please?:P
It'd be a change of pace....
Glad you got it to check it out for us BM.... someone had to be first!!!

tmac1337
01-05-2007, 08:56 PM
How much is this kit dropping the AIT?

I fractured the piston in my #8 cylinder. I had gas issues that day. Much latter on I found out that twin cobra pumps could not even pump enough fuel for my system, and it took twin GT-40s to keep up the pressure.

Any truth to methanol being corrossive?

BigMerc
01-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't the answers to these just yet. I am switching to 2 GT40 pumps, then a tune, by Jerry, will have to info then. As far as corrosive, I didnt find anything on the systems promoting it or anyone having problems with it. but thats not to say it hasn't happened, I just have not found anyone with that problem.

tmac1337
01-05-2007, 09:10 PM
The GT pumps are the way to go. You will see the difference in your fuel pressure on the dyno right away. I was losing pressure with the cobras big time by the end of a pull. I installed mine with Scott Beer. Fit the dual cobra harness.

I researched the snow systems a long time ago and remember some comments about it being corrossive, but that might have been in some forums and BS. I don't recall. A lot of people like the systems. Keep us informed.

BigMerc
01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I have the same problem with those cobras, leaning out at the high end.

When I looked at snow's they give you a generic pump, low pressure and a universal kit, this one has the pump reworked, high pressure and a controller to tune in when and how much the sytem powers up. I can put it full throttle and blast it, or under acceleration and a lower volume start up.

I'll keep up the info when I get it.

As far as corrosive I thought of something else also. A lot of people do chemistry on the systems adding who knows what and different mixes to try and get more. Thats where I saw the problems pop up. What I like about this one is Methynol and Methynol ONLY, full strength do not mix do not use anything else.

RCSignals
01-05-2007, 09:36 PM

Any truth to methanol being corrossive?

Only if you drink it

snowbird
01-06-2007, 04:47 AM
If i can shime in:

I installed a Snow system in december 05 in place of the battery. Although I have some issues with reliability on the original install, it works quite fine. The base pump is 140-150 PSI (that i can monitor with a pressure gauge) and their is an optional 220 PSI pump. I don't think it lack pressure. I use a 80% methanol and 20% water mix.

No doubt the Alky control system is a great system though.

About corossivness, it work on its own circuit up to the injector in the intake in fume form. There is no issue to worry about. It would if it would be mix with the fuel in the tank as it would probably eat all rubber and gasket on the way to the injectors.

About charge cooling: i had installed a IAT gauge just after the nozzle (and before the throttle body) to monitor it and the cooling effect varies with ambiant temp. In winter, almost no effect 10-20 degree range. In the height of the summer, it can go down 40-70 degree with ease in one or 2 seconds and stay there as long as you are in boost, although the IAT should be put down the lower intake for a better evaluation of temp the engine is ingesting if you want to use it as an HP tool. In my case, i had put it where it is to monitor the effectiveness of the system on a continuous cycle when the engine is on boost. I don't have any gains in the HP since i use it to cool and to raise the octane. But safe yes, these systems are great for extra protection.

tmac1337
01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Which kit did you buy? The GN or TTA?

Components look good. Who installed it? When the car is fully tuned, I would not mind seeing this thing stomp around!

Looks to be the same price as a good nitrous kit, with similar features and end result, but the meth. should be much less expensive than filling up the bottle.

BigMerc
01-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I got the TTA without the MAP. has a good filter, all braided lines. I'm changing from an X-Pipe to an H-pipe after that Jerry will tune it, then I can give you some good numbers. I have to put the GT40 pumps in before the tune so I'm 3 weeks out from getting some numbers.

I found after my research that this was the kit to get, I'm sure there are others that are equal to the task and whatever you choose, just choose it and get it if you are supercharged. Youll be happy with just the peace of mind.

KillJoy
01-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Where, in your car, did you mount the Resevoir?

KillJoy

BigMerc
01-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I used the windshield washer tank because its bigger and mounted a smaller tank for the wipers, switched the pumps.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/smithisatwerp/WWtank.jpg

FordNut
01-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I used the windshield washer tank because its bigger and mounted a smaller tank for the wipers, switched the pumps.

Did you switch to the GM/CV reservoir? The one for cars with digital instrumentation package has a low level warning switch.

BigMerc
01-07-2007, 01:48 PM
No its just an off the shelf universal bottle that happen to fit in the hole I found.

MarauderTJA
01-07-2007, 02:04 PM
It is unquestionably an interesting system. But doesn't nitrous basically do the same thing in a S/C boost application in cooling the AIT? What are the cost comparisions in your system? Obvisouly meth is far cheaper than nitrous. I looked at the Snow system as well but chose to use a 50 shot Zex N2O instead. It will be interesting to see your results.

BigMerc
01-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm thinking you probably do the same thing with a small shot NOS system.

I just felt the non detonation factor led me more to the Methynol, I'm not sold on Snow's I wanted a specific dedicated system as opposed to a generic pump situation. The controller for this system is far superior in my opinion also.

MarauderTJA
01-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm thinking you probably do the same thing with a small shot NOS system.

I just felt the non detonation factor led me more to the Methynol, I'm not sold on Snow's I wanted a specific dedicated system as opposed to a generic pump situation. The controller for this system is far superior in my opinion also.

According to Scott Beer ar Diablosport, a 50 shot should not cause any detenation problems at all. The controller on the Zex system is suppose to be one of the best in the business and the fuel is compensated with the nitrous to prevent detenation. Once you go higher than a 50 shot, a re-tune is neccessary. Still looking forward in seeing your results.

BigMerc
01-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Like I said, there are a number of possibilities, pick one. Whatever one makes you happy, I'm just telling you what I did, by all means do something else if you feel it.:bop:

Lidio
01-08-2007, 01:41 PM
It is unquestionably an interesting system. But doesn't nitrous basically do the same thing in a S/C boost application in cooling the AIT? What are the cost comparisions in your system? Obvisouly meth is far cheaper than nitrous. I looked at the Snow system as well but chose to use a 50 shot Zex N2O instead. It will be interesting to see your results.

Nitrous is a combustion enhancer and not in anyway a detonation suppressor, like an increase an octane will give you (weather you do it with better fuels or a meth injection.
When squirting NOS into a blower car, the power gain you see isn't because you lowered the inlet temp, its because you put nitrous in the combustion chamber. That's why when you add enough NOS to a blower motor or any motor for that matter, you almost immediately or eventually need to pull some or lots of spark and increase octane (and adding fuel goes with out saying). Where as with a meth injection you are really adding more octane in the mix along with lowering the inlet temps. Meth is not a power adder. Its just allows you to more safely add more spark and/or more boost safely depending on the application.

A meth injection on a blower car is not the same as a NOS kit for the same blower car. NOS done correctly needs more fuel and some spark reduction, meth does not, but meth is not a power adder.

Joe Walsh
01-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Nitrous is a combustion enhancer and not in anyway a detonation suppressor, like an increase an octane will give you (weather you do it with better fuels or a meth injection.
When squirting NOS into a blower car, the power gain you see isn't because you lowered the inlet temp, its because you put nitrous in the combustion chamber. That's why when you add enough NOS to a blower motor or any motor for that matter, you almost immediately or eventually need to pull some or lots of spark and increase octane (and adding fuel goes with out saying). Where as with a meth injection you are really adding more octane in the mix along with lowering the inlet temps. Meth is not a power adder. Its just allows you to more safely add more spark and/or more boost safely depending on the application.

A meth injection on a blower car is not the same as a NOS kit for the same blower car. NOS done correctly needs more fuel and some spark reduction, meth does not, but meth is not a power adder.

Assuming that you do NOT re-tune to take advantage of the Methanol's cooling effect, I'm guessing that it is 'a wash' in regards to horsepower...??

1: Cooling effect on intake air = denser air = more power

2: Lower energy released by burning alcohol/slower burn rate vs. gasoline = less power

BUT, you have nice detonation protection for the S/C engine.

MarauderTJA
01-08-2007, 06:33 PM

Thanks Lidio for clearing that up. I was totally mis-informed. Makes sense now.

tmac1337
01-16-2007, 09:54 AM
This is an interesting subject.

Let us know how your fairing with the Meth kit Bigmerc. Would like to see some more detailed pics later on too.

magindat
12-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Where does one buy the methanol?

I want to do a meth injection kit soon just for detonation protection.

FordNut
12-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Go cart racing shops, race fuel distributors, performance tuners. They can sell it in bulk (gallon, 5 gallon, or even a 55 gallon drum)

Or Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, Advance, Pep Boys, etc. Some brands of gas line anti-freeze are methanol, some are isopropanol, some are ethanol, just gotta read the label.

O's Fan Rich
12-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Where does one buy the methanol?

I want to do a meth injection kit soon just for detonation protection.

Rich,
I use two sources, both sell Sunoco Race Fuels.
Got a 5 gallon fuel can from Summit ( big mouth opening) so that they can fill it right from the truck they use at the stock car races locally.
I keep it filled and keep my already mixed can filled all the time.

Bradley G
12-27-2007, 09:21 AM
That's a hot set-up Rich Long!
Mr. Happy Trilogy owner W/ Linky in the siggy! :coolman:

quote=Rich_Long;564250]Rich,
I use two sources, both sell Sunoco Race Fuels.
Got a 5 gallon fuel can from Summit ( big mouth opening) so that they can fill it right from the truck they use at the stock car races locally.
I keep it filled and keep my already mixed can filled all the time.[/quote]

O's Fan Rich
12-27-2007, 09:41 AM
That's a hot set-up Rich Long!

Tell you what, my Snow Performance Methanol kit has worked out very well. It's saved me from bad gas a few times.

I'm adding a pull of solonoid for the bypass valve this winter, too. Controlled by the Meth Kit.