PDA

View Full Version : AOD? AODE? 4R70W? 4R75W? which means.

stryker
01-06-2007, 10:48 PM
:confused: Ok Marauderers I read a lot about the different names for transmissions as I type in the title of the thread ¿ What means for AOD,AODE,4R70W,4R75W ? :thanks: for the time to read.

:xtree: STRYKER:wreath: :burnout:

FordNut
01-06-2007, 11:44 PM
AOD was the first of the family, Automatic Overdrive.

AODE was the next improvement, Automatic Overdrive Electronic controlled.

4R70W is a specific, later model of the AODE family.

4R75W is an improved version of the 4R70W, installed in the '04 models.

Meteorite
01-07-2007, 05:25 AM
I can add a bit more information.

It is good to see that you have them listed in the correct evolutionary order. FordNut give correct information about each trans also.

The largest difference is between the AOD and AODE. AOD need no computer (PCM or EEC) to run it. It has a governor on the tailshaft which provides the transmission speed signal, and a lever, operated by a linkage, which provides "TV" (Throttle Valve) pressure input. The Governor pressure and Throttle valve pressure work in opposite directions to determine the timing of a shift. The higher the governor pressure (in that hydraulic circuit), the sooner a shift will occur, because it means the vehicle is moving faster. The greater the TV Pressure, however, the more the upshift will be delayed, because it means you are closer to WOT. The AOD is a good trans to swap into older cars, because it needs no EEC to run it. I have one in my son's 1963 Mercury Meteor.

As mentioned, AODE is electronically controlled. No governor, and TV Pressure is now called EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) Pressure. Yes, I know, redundant, a la VIN Number.

4R70W is a nomenclature change and a gear ratio change. The "W" means Wide ratio, and the 4R75W has a larger span (ratio of first gear ratio to top gear ratio) than the AODE.

4R75W is a torque upgrade from 4R70. The numbers in Ford's auto trans nomenclature refer to torque levels which can be accomodated, I believe on the downstream side of the torque converter (i.e., turbine side), in Newton-meters.

stryker
01-07-2007, 11:18 AM
:confused: Ok I appreciate those answers !BUT! is not what I want which I need to know is what means for these combination of numbers and letters such as "4R70W" that is my doubt.

:wreath2: STRYKER:wreath: :burnout:

Meteorite
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
:confused: Ok I appreciate those answers !BUT! is not what I want which I need to know is what means for these combination of numbers and letters such as "4R70W" that is my doubt.

4 = 4 forward speeds
R = Rear Wheel Drive
70 = 700 N-m of torque at the turbine (I think; someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
W = wide ratio planetary gearset

Pat
01-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Styker asked the right questions and all the answers we needed comes pouring out. The best info on transmission nomenclature on one page ever.

Pat

stryker
01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
:banana2: ! Yeeeaahhhh,wooohooo! Now my doubts are clear so I suppose that 4R75W means for...

4-speed
R-rear weel drive
75-750 nm of torque
W-wide ratio

If i'm mistaken in some part please correct me and thanks for your best help Mangs. :2thumbs:

:wreath: STRYKER:santaw: :burnout:

MENINBLK
01-07-2007, 05:22 PM
2004 owners have to check the label on the drivers door
for their transmission type.
Anything other than an 'R' is a 4R70W.
If you have the 'R', then you have a 4R75W tranny.

My 04 was built 10/31/2003 if you want to use that as a reference,
but I don't know if they just stopped when they ran out of 4R70Ws
or it was just by chance...

The main differences are the Torque Converter turbine
and the 4R75W incorporates new internal seals, IIRC it is Kevlar,
to facilitate faster shifting times. The rest of the tranny is almost identical.

stryker
01-08-2007, 08:40 AM
:confused: Then what stands for "75" ??????

:wreath: STRYKER:santaw:

Meteorite
01-08-2007, 08:42 AM
:confused: Then what stands for "75" ??????

:wreath: STRYKER:santaw:
I figured you'd be able to get that by analogy: "75" = 750 Newton-meter capacity.

4F50N - 500 N-m

6R60 - 600 N-m

et cetera

RF Overlord
01-08-2007, 09:06 AM
So by extrapolation, the AX4S in my Taurus will handle 40 Nm of torque? That's about right...

:D

Meteorite
01-08-2007, 09:32 AM
So by extrapolation, the AX4S in my Taurus will handle 40 Nm of torque? That's about right...

:D
No, AX4S is part of Ford's older nomenclature. The final name of the AX4S, before it went out of production, was the 4F46S, which means:

4 = 4 Forward Speeds
F = FWD
46 = 460 N-m capacity
S = Synchronous (1-2 shift only)

By comparison, the AX4N, which some Taurus/Sables also got, is a.k.a. 4F50N:

4 - 4 Forward Speeds
F= FWD
50 = 500 N-m
N = Fully Non-synchronous transaxle

importsstillsuc
01-08-2007, 10:03 AM
what trans would a 97 Grand Marquis have? any ideas? AODE? or 4R70W?

Meteorite
01-08-2007, 10:11 AM
what trans would a 97 Grand Marquis have? any ideas? AODE? or 4R70W?
That would be a 4R70W.

RF Overlord
01-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Meteorite, I was joking, but thanks for the info on both the transmissions and the transaxles... :D

BTW, can you explain a little more about the Synchronous vs. Non-Synchronous designation?

importsstillsuc
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
alright cool...4R70W's have a good track record? i dont know much about ford products ive only delt with chevy in the past

stryker
01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
:confused: Ok Marauderers two more ???????

1- ¿Which transmission use the 1993 Crownvic or Grandmarq?

2- ¿ I could swap a 4R70W transmission in t 1993 Crownvictoria?

:santaw: STRYKER:santa:

Drock96Marquis
01-12-2007, 09:18 PM
1.) AOD-E

2.) Yes
You will need do some elec work, as well as get a 95+ driveshaft (either aluminum/AMMC if you have long tailshaft housing, steel for normal tailshaft)

Info here:
http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/modelnumbers/crownvic/index.html
http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/diagrams/electrical/external/bulkhead/index.html

stryker
01-12-2007, 10:43 PM
:thanks: DROCK96MARQUIS for that valuable info.

:santa: STRYKER. :burnout:

JACook
03-03-2007, 12:08 PM
BTW, can you explain a little more about the Synchronous vs. Non-Synchronous designation?

Synchronous vs. non-synchronous denotes how the transmission employs it's various clutches and/or
bands, to go from one gear to another. A synchronous shift requires that one friction element is releasing
at the same time another is applying. A non-synchronous shift requires only that the friction elements for
the next gear will apply.

For obvious reasons, a design that only requires applying friction elements for an upshift will produce a
much better shift, and be much easier to program, than one that also has to release elements. A non-
synchronous design will typically be able to handle more torque, because it can better manage the
application of the next gear's friction elements without worry of flare or tie-up.

Few transmissions these days are purely one or the other. For example, the 4R70W (and it's nearly
identical twin, the 4R75W) is a non-synchronous shifter in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, but the 3-4 shift is
synchronous. This last bit is the primary reason why WOT 3-4 shifts are frowned upon, especially if
you've got a power adder.

Meteorite
03-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Few transmissions these days are purely one or the other. For example, the 4R70W (and it's nearly
identical twin, the 4R75W) is a non-synchronous shifter in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, but the 3-4 shift is
synchronous. This last bit is the primary reason why WOT 3-4 shifts are frowned upon, especially if
you've got a power adder.
Ford's latest RWD 6-speed is fully Synchronous.

Jerry
03-14-2007, 07:00 PM
You guys are all close but not quite.

First off the torque rating is in ft-lbs, NOT n-m's.

The 4 is the number of speeds
The 70 or 75 is the amount of torque capacity at the input shaft of the transmission.

The last letter varies.

The original one was a AODE, and E stood for Electronic control.

In the 4R70W, the W was wide ratio.

Then they had a 4R70W+ that started in the 1999 trucks when the 5.4L went in front of it. This trans had a unique treatment to the Forward Sun gear and the one of the set's of pinion gears in the planetary gear set. This is what the original 2003 Marauder had in it.

When the 5.4L 3V F-150 came out in 2004, they upgraded to the 4R75 transmission. They dropped the W rating since they all had that gear set. This trans had upgraded shafts, bearings, etc. They also added a turbine speed sensor (which is really cool technology). The 2004 Marauder got this transmission without the turbine speed sensor. That's why there is a little plug on the side of the case of the 2004 transmissions.

Now, the 2004 F-150 also came with a 4.6L engine. This transmission was called the 4R70E. It didn't get all the upgraded parts that the 75 did, but with the addition of the turbine speed sensor they wanted a way to seperate this from the rest of the 4R7x family, so they dropped the W and went back to an E.....

j

Zack
03-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Jerry, we need a Marauder Dyno event with you.
What are you doing August 2-5th???

Jerry
03-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Jerry, we need a Marauder Dyno event with you.
What are you doing August 2-5th???

I am more than willing to do this. I probably would actually enjoy it. Right now I have no plans. If you want to do this, e-mail my better half, Tana, at EFITO@cfl.rr.com and she can begin to set it up and add it in...

j