PDA

View Full Version : Why change your brake fluid?

MERCMAN
01-08-2007, 08:31 AM
I received a PM from one of our members and he asked me to post this!!

Thanks Leon :up:

It's been three years since we've owned a Marauder, and I was wondering with all the mods everybodys doing no one talks about the advantage of brake fluids. So below you'll find a link talking about the subject, please post for the benefit of my brothers.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

Krytin
01-08-2007, 08:49 AM
I flushed mine out last summer with a synthetic. The old fluid was turning brown!

ckadiddle
01-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Oh great. Something else for me to worry about. :)

RoyLPita
01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
I changed the brake fluid on my MM @ 14k. The last owner must have lived on the brake pedal for the 1st 7500 miles (Probably on Woodward). I also had the replace the 3rd brake light bulbs. They were burnt out. My brake pads are another story: the inner rt rear pad was paper thin @ 10k and the fronts were 2/3s gone @ 14k.

After changing the fluid, I definitely got a much better pedal feel than before.

BAD MERC
01-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Brake fluid will not freeze or boil and does not expand with heat. It does absorb moisture and should be changed every few years.

magindat
01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Brake fluid will not freeze or boil and does not expand with heat. It does absorb moisture and should be changed every few years.

Everything boils. But I think the article is saying that the water in the fuid will vaporize and cause gas pockets in the lines.

magindat
01-08-2007, 09:45 AM
And stupid question....

How does one 'change' the brake fluid. Are we talkin bleed the lines until replaced or what?

gpfarrell
01-08-2007, 09:48 AM
And stupid question....

How does one 'change' the brake fluid. Are we talkin bleed the lines until replaced or what?

Generally, yeah.

Pour it in, pump it out.

stryker
01-08-2007, 09:53 AM
:cool: That is no problem for my Panther, Recently I flushed the system and fill it with new Valvoline syntetic brake fluid the pads still new equal the discs.

:wreath: STRYKER:santa:

juno
01-08-2007, 10:32 AM
One weekend at Sebring discolored mine, and I had just replaced it before the event.

Shora
01-08-2007, 10:37 AM
And stupid question....

^^X2.

How would one do it at home?

LordVader
01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the article. I am getting mine flushed this week-end. Just rolled past 36K so it must be time.

BAD MERC
01-08-2007, 03:31 PM
One trick, get all four wheels off the ground and gravity bleed the system which will prevent bubbles. Empty jars to catch the fluid with clear surgical tubing on the bleeder screws works great. Did that on my Taurus when the rear disc calipers froze.

jim geary
01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Good post, thanks.

jimlam56
01-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Good post, wondered if anyone had experience with (air) power brake bleeders?

MENINBLK
01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Good post, wondered if anyone had experience with (air) power brake bleeders?

With the right scan tool, you can energize the ABS module to power bleed your brakes.

Blackmobile
01-09-2007, 11:25 AM
I recently installed SS brake lines and bled all the existing brake fluid out of the Master Cylinder. When I finished, the fluid in the reservoir was still dark. So to remove all the fluid I used a turkey baster, but it wouldn't get all the fluid out, so here was my brain storm. I had an empty bottle of windex in the car so I unscrewed the squirting nozzle and cleaned it out good, then inserted it into the reservoir and then commenced to pump all the fluid out of the reservoir, and squirted it into the empty windex bottle. End result, the reservoir was totally clear.

I just figured I'd share that brain fart.

Shora
01-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I recently installed SS brake lines and bled all the existing brake fluid out of the Master Cylinder. When I finished, the fluid in the reservoir was still dark. So to remove all the fluid I used a turkey baster, but it wouldn't get all the fluid out, so here was my brain storm. I had an empty bottle of windex in the car so I unscrewed the squirting nozzle and cleaned it out good, then inserted it into the reservoir and then commenced to pump all the fluid out of the reservoir, and squirted it into the empty windex bottle. End result, the reservoir was totally clear.

Now that is improvising.

Dragcity
01-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Soooo, What is the recommended replacement fluid? OEM or SYN ???

juno
01-09-2007, 12:15 PM

I just bought a new reservoir. I will swap it in on the next flush and remove and clean the old one.