PDA

View Full Version : Question about Removing the Cat's

Cobra25
01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
I Have the Reinhart Cobra Exhaust system on my Marauder. I was thinking of removing the cats and was wondering if their is anything to be gained or lost by doing so? Also was wondering if anybody has done a Dyno before & after on this too ?

Zack
01-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Dont remove them.
The loss of backpressure will kill your torque.

greggash
01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
you will have better flow thru the exhaust, less restriction.

While your at it take off the mufflers too

I have heard that the mufflers alone are good for 16 HP

As a guess I would say 20+hp if you remove the cats and mufflers

what the heck, its florida, and we can do this if we want to......:beer:

Cobra25
01-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Dont remove them.
The loss of backpressure will kill your torque. I was told you gain HP and Loose some torgue. I was wondering if anyone has done a dyno on before and after?

KillJoy
01-09-2007, 02:52 PM

what the heck, its florida, and we can do this if we want to......:beer:

At that point....why not just get cut-outs?????

KillJoy

Zack
01-09-2007, 02:55 PM
TMF had a b4 and after dyno with the cutouts and no gain in power.

Without cats, the car will be obnoxiously loud.
Ride in my car, it has cats and mufflers, but the most free flowing pieces available.
It sounds like a big block, from 5 miles away!

Cobra25
01-09-2007, 02:55 PM

what the heck, its florida, and we can do this if we want to......:beer: So your sayinmg if I leave the cats and take out the muffles I can gain 16 HP ? I never heard that before. That I wouldn't do.

Cobra25
01-09-2007, 02:57 PM
TMF had a b4 and after dyno with the cutouts and no gain in power.

Ride in my car, it has cats and mufflers, but the most free flowing pieces available.
It sounds like a big block, from 5 miles away! And what cats and mufflers are you useing?

94_302
01-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I wouldnt worry about the loss of tq on a blown car. I would check on the mach 1 board for dynos of an auto mach with a catted x and with an o/r x. That is probably the closest numbers you will find. Cutouts vs an o/r pipe are not exactly the same so I would take that with a grain of salt.

John Nero
01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I Have the Reinhart Cobra Exhaust system on my Marauder. I was thinking of removing the cats and was wondering if their is anything to be gained or lost by doing so? Also was wondering if anybody has done a Dyno before & after on this too ?
should have gone with kooks full system-some day you might beat me

tmac1337
01-09-2007, 03:22 PM
should have gone with kooks full system-some day you might beat me

John, don't eg him on now....

Cobra25
01-09-2007, 03:27 PM
should have gone with kooks full system-some day you might beat me John I will never beat you. Your Car is just too fast! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KillJoy
01-09-2007, 04:00 PM
It sounds like a big block, from 5 miles away!

I have heard this car, driven behind this car, been passed by this car. Yes it is obnoxiously loud. It is the perfect exhaust for Zack :coolman:

KillJoy

Cobra25
01-09-2007, 04:02 PM
All kidding aside now, is their any info on Dyno results on this ? Or has anybody else done this already or tested it them selves?

MarauderTJA
01-09-2007, 04:13 PM
I am cutting my cats out so I can run C-116 race fuel for the race tune. QTP electric cutouts are also being installed for open header race applications. I have SW long tubes going through an X pipe with Flowmaster Delta 50's and will find our next week how much louder the car will be. Hopefully not too much louder. I have heard Mustangs with the cats out and good mufflers. Wasn't too loud for me. Loss of torque shouldn't hurt my application. My .02

MENINBLK
01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Don't go messing with an exhaust until you understand
the relationship between Horsepower and Torque.
They are dependant on each other.

Cobra25
01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
They are dependant on each other. Their is a fine line sometimes people walk on too understand more than most. Every car is set up differently and sometimes react's different to different set up's .

juno
01-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Mine is much louder without cats and with stock mufflers under normal acceleration.

ctrlraven
01-10-2007, 08:59 AM
After the first time I took my MM to the track I was running 14.9-15.1 bone stock with a K&N drop in filter. The second trip back to the track a few weeks later on I had a none muffler side pipe exhaust right off the h-pipe setup and I was running 14.6-14.7's all day with everything else stock besides a K&N drop in filter. I did notice a low end TQ loss but could really feel and see the difference with the higher end HP as my trap speeds were the same as guys running 14.3-14.4's. The MM was slower off the line but the better flow helped down the track. I have my "oem styled" exhaust back on and running 14.3's along with everyone else that has around the same mods as I currently do.

I'm going to have my second pair of cats removed and I know it may slightly gain some power none that I will feel but I'm just looking for a little more sound.

KillJoy
01-10-2007, 09:10 AM
After reading ^^^^^, I had a thought.

Say you have your electronic cut-outs. Keep them closed while on the line, once you go green and mash the pedal, hit the E-Cutout switch for them to open.

Maybe get a little TQ off the line, and a HP gain up top?????

KillJoy

ctrlraven
01-10-2007, 09:21 AM
I know a few people that use them on their Ford's and they hit the switch at the 1-2 shift.

MISTERgadget
01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
They are dependant on each other.

Horsepower is dependent on torque.

HP = TQ / 5252

KillJoy
01-10-2007, 01:52 PM
HP = TQ / 5252

Huh

:confused:

KillJoy

shami02
01-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Cobra25, ffice:office" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If you do decide to get rid of your cat's.... (I have no opinion pro or con) I'll buy your DR X-Pipe from you.......
Have a great one!

Cobra25
01-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Cobra25, ffice:office" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If you do decide to get rid of your cat's.... (I have no opinion pro or con) I'll buy your DR X-Pipe from you.......
Have a great one! Thank you for your offer Mike, but at this time I'm only seaking a little more info.