PDA

View Full Version : Predator Tips & Tricks

HwyCruiser
01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
How many of F.I.T. owners have used your Predator flash programmer for things other than to load the custom tune into your vehicle during the s/c installation? I've used mine several times as a data logger and to tweak on some the user-accessible parameters in the tune. I think a thread on Predator tips & tricks I long overdue because these things become pretty powerful tools once you become familiar with them.

I'll start with my top 5 tips:

#1: I'd highly recommend to a new owner getting ready for an install to first make sure the custom tune takes before tackling the mechanical portion. The custom tunes are set up specifically for the vehicle's PCM code (BDMO, MAV2, etc.) so you can verify right off the bat that there wasn't any miscommunication during the order. It doesn't hurt to step over the low hurdles first.

#2: You can double check the custom tune is in the vehicle by going to Options->Show Last Tune Written. It should say "Custom Tune", but if it says "Original Backup Restored" the vehicle has been returned to stock. You really shouldn't drive the vehicle very long with the stock tune in. The car will be drivable, but it won't idle very well and probably throw a rich code because of the mismatched MAF and fuel injector calibrations.

#3: Download and get familiar with Diablo's DSDownloader PC interface utility. This is used to update the Predator with a new custom tune. You'll need a serial cable and 12V DC power supply, both of which should be available at your local Radio Shack. Click this link (http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=14) for the download and cabling specs. Make sure you get a soft copy of your custom s/c tune from F.I.T. so you have it on file.

#4: Back up your stock tune to your home computer and email a copy of it and your custom tune to yourself for safe keeping. Use the DSDownloader PC program get your vehicle's original backup (stock tune) out of your Predator through Options->Custom Tune->Export Tune->Original Backup. This will upload an .frg file named with your calibration code (i.e. mine was rza01b2.frg). God forbid you loose or damage your Predator, at least you'll have soft copies of your tunes. See post #8 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=461341&postcount=8) below for additional and important information regarding this tip.

#5: Get to know the data-logging capabilities of the Predator. F.I.T.'s Diablo dealer will need a couple more along with the AFR vs. RPM report that you get from a dyno test to really optimize your base custom tune. You'll also need to log a few parameters to the Predator's memory during the dyno pull to complete the picture. There's more to this discussion better left between you and the man himself, but being familiar with how to use the fast rate data-logging capabilities of the Predator before you show up to the dyno facility is a must. There's well over a 100 parameter IDs you can log and review on your home PC if you really want to get into what the tune is doing. Diablo's CMR_DAT data-log uploading, viewing and conversion utility can be also downloaded from the link in tip #2 above.

I guess I'll leave it open for discussion from here. Although I've left a bunch of detail out to keep this short, those top 5 tips should get an owner curious enough to begin using the tool and start asking the really neat questions. If anyone else has tips or tricks feel free to post them up!

JMan
01-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Hwy,
Excellent! Nice write up. Anyone can use a portion of it. Thanks!

J

MM03MOK
01-12-2007, 05:49 AM
JD - stick this info in Reviews

Seneca
01-12-2007, 06:53 AM
How many of F.I.T. owners have used your Predator flash programmer for things other than to load the custom tune into your vehicle during the s/c installation? I've used mine several times as a data logger and to tweak on some the user-accessible parameters in the tune. I think a thread on Predator tips & tricks I long overdue because these things become pretty powerful tools once you become familiar with them.

I'll start with my top 5 tips:

#1: I'd highly recommend to a new owner getting ready for an install to first make sure the custom tune takes before tackling the mechanical portion. The custom tunes are set up specifically for the vehicle's PCM code (BDMO, MAV2, etc.) so you can verify right off the bat that there wasn't any miscommunication during the order. It doesn't hurt to step over the low hurdles first.

#2: You can double check the custom tune is in the vehicle by going to Options->Show Last Tune Written. It should say "Custom Tune", but if it says "Original Backup Restored" the vehicle has been returned to stock. You really shouldn't drive the vehicle very long with the stock tune in. The car will be drivable, but it won't idle very well and probably throw a rich code because of the mismatched MAF and fuel injector calibrations.

#3: Download and get familiar with Diablo's DSDownloader PC interface utility. This is used to update the Predator with a new custom tune. You'll need a serial cable and 12V DC power supply, both of which should be available at your local Radio Shack. Click this link (http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=14) for the download and cabling specs. Make sure you get a soft copy of your custom s/c tune from F.I.T. so you have it on file.

#4: Back up your stock tune to your home computer and email a copy of it and your custom tune to yourself for safe keeping. Use the DSDownloader PC program get your vehicle's original backup (stock tune) out of your Predator through Options->Custom Tune->Export Tune->Original Backup. This will upload an .frg file named with your calibration code (i.e. mine was rza01b2.frg). God forbid you loose or damage your Predator, at least you'll have soft copies of your tunes.

#5: Get to know the data-logging capabilities of the Predator. F.I.T.'s Diablo dealer will need a couple more along with the AFR vs. RPM report that you get from a dyno test to really optimize your base custom tune. You'll also need to log a few parameters to the Predator's memory during the dyno pull to complete the picture. There's more to this discussion better left between you and the man himself, but being familiar with how to use the fast rate data-logging capabilities of the Predator before you show up to the dyno facility is a must. There's well over a 100 parameter IDs you can log and review on your home PC if you really want to get into what the tune is doing. Diablo's CMR_DAT data-log uploading, viewing and conversion utility can be also downloaded from the link in tip #2 above.

I guess I'll leave it open for discussion from here. Although I've left a bunch of detail out to keep this short, those top 5 tips should get an owner curious enough to begin using the tool and start asking the really neat questions. If anyone else has tips or tricks feel free to post them up!

thanks for the Info JD. :D All good things to know.

HwyCruiser
01-12-2007, 06:12 PM
JD - stick this info in Reviews

Mary, I was hoping to keep a thread going because I'm planning on adding several more tips & tricks of my own in the near future as I get time to sit down and document them. The feedback is useful too. I understand an appreciate the suggestion though. I will try to condense the tips into a thorough review though after this thread runs its course and gets buried. -JD

maraudernkc
01-13-2007, 05:45 AM
JD, This is an awesome write up. I don't think most people knoe how much information you can get from the Predator. Well Done!

MarauderTJA
01-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Great job JD:up: . I have done some data logging but your other information is invaluable for us Predator owners. I have all tunes backed up on my computer. Thanks for the info.

HwyCruiser
01-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Just to clarify something about uploading the original backup (stock tune) from the Predator. Their instructions will tell you to return the car to stock and then upload the stock tune into the Predators "extra tune" memory location if you haven't already flashed the Predator's custom tune into the vehicle. Again, this step is only for people that haven't already loaded the Predator's custom tune into the vehicle. The Predator automatically uploads the stock tune into its "original backup" memory location before it flashes the custom tune, so you just need to use the DSDownloader PC utility to retrieve it.

If you return the vehicle back to stock after you've loaded the custom tune the Predator will most likely erase the custom tune from its memory. If you don't have a soft copy of the custom tune to put it back into the Predator you'll need to get it from F.I.T.'s Diablo dealer. If you don't have a soft copy (.frg file) of your custom tune - get it. If you haven't backed up your original tune - do it. If you need any help I'm just a PM or phone call away.

BTW, I'm writing up data-logging as we speak. Stay tuned!

HwyCruiser
01-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Tip #6: Predator data logging

This is going to be a long one, but to discuss one of the most powerful features of the Predator, its data-logging capabilities, is going to take a fair amount of detail. The Predator has 768k of non-volatile memory to log a selection of well over 100 Powertrain Control Module Parameter IDs (PCM PIDs) for up to about an hour - depending on the number if PIDs and sampling rate selected. The Predator can be used to review the data logged and/or Diablo's CMR_DAT PC utility can be used to retrieve and view the data stored and also covert it a spreadsheet-friendly format. To begin a data-logging session via the Predator, select Diagnostics->Real Time Data. The PIDs are grouped into six categories: acceleration, drivability, fuel, ignition, speed control, and transmission. See my next post for breakout of each category and their associated PIDs.

Not every PID is useful even if the PCM reports back on them (I'm still trying to find that 4x4L switch). Anyway, once you determine the PIDs you want to view, choose the appropriate category on the Predator and then choose if you want to show all PIDs in that category or select them from a list. Selecting "Show All" is fine if you don't plan on logging the data to memory and only occasionally look at the current values. The PIDs will update one-by-one in sequence at a slower sampling rate of about 5 PIDs per second. If want faster sampling rates, you will want to narrow the number of PIDs interrogating from the vehicle by selecting them from the list for that category. In either case, the fewer the PIDs selected will result in faster updates.

After you've made your PID selections, the Predator will ask if you want to log the displayed samples to its internal memory. If you chose to narrow down the PIDs by selecting them from the list then the Predator will give you an option of sampling at a slow or fast rate. Picking fast rate will obviously fill the memory quicker and the logging duration will be reduced. The PID sampling is ended when the log is full or when you press the escape button. Once you're finished logging data, you can view the log on the Predator by selecting Diagnostics->Log Play Back. You can then use the arrow keys to speed up and slow down the play back rate displayed.

To upload the log and review via the CMR_DAT PC ulility, start the utility and verify the comm port settings. Mine are set to COM1 and 56k but your COM port will depend on your PC. In the CMR_DAT PC utility, select the Tools->Get Log File From Predator menu item. It will display a "Save" window so you can name the uploaded log. Type in a name (i.e. gasaccelwot.log) but don't click save yet. Plug the Predator into the PC's serial port and connect the 12VDC power supply. On the Predator, select Options->TroubleShooting->Log Upload and press enter. Now in the CRM_DAT PC utility click the save button. The Predator will display the number of bytes it has sent on a progress bar and then will display "Transfer Complete" when it has uploaded the Predator's log. To open and view the uploaded data with the CMR_DAT PC utility, select File->Open->Log File on the utility's menu bar. Note that the CMR_DAT PC utility can only open logs and convert logs with up to 36 PIDs. To convert the log file to a comma-separated variable (csv) format for use with Excel, etc., click the "LC" button on the CMR_DAT PC utility's window and then select the log to convert from the "Open" window. The resulting csv file will be saved with the same name and in the same directory as the log file you converted.

So what's the big deal about being able to log PIDs? Nothing, as long as your happy with the baseline custom tune and never have any maintenance issues with the car itself. But there's a lot of information about how the tune and the vehicle's sensors are performing right at your fingertips. As for practical uses, my Predator was used when I went to see F.I.T.'s Diablo dealer in Springfield to have my air-fuel ratio (AFR) dialed a few months after my s/c kit was installed. He logged the RPM, MAF V, and LOAD PIDs in the gas acceleration WOT category at a fast sample rate during the dyno pulls. He then lined up the dyno's AFR report with the Predator's log to determine where the mass air transfer function needed to be adjusted via his dealer tuning software. I've also used my Predator to log transmission functions to determine where I wanted the tune's shifting and TC lockup functions tweaked to more my liking.

---

My next tip will be to write up the tune parameters available for user adjustments and what many of them they do. I haven't used them all but I've used enough of them to feel comfortable in making minor changes to several of them - especially when I can turn around and log and verify the results in real time. I think the Predator is a pretty handy little tool and I really hope sharing my experience from a long time user's perspective is helpful to the group. Feel free to post any questions on this thread or via PM. We're all here to help.

HwyCruiser
01-14-2007, 03:25 PM
The PIDs available for data-logging are grouped into six categories: acceleration, drivability, fuel, ignition, speed control, and transmission. Below is a breakout of each category and their associated PIDs:

DIAGNOSTICS->REAL TIME DATA->GAS ACCELERATION WOT
PID#: acronym (units) definition [CMR_DAT converted units]
----------------------------------------------------------
1165: RPM (RPM) ENG RPM
1123: IAT (F) INTAKE AIR TEMP
1633: MAF V (V) MASS AIR FLOW SENS VOLT [A/D COUNTS]
168C: FRP (psi) FUEL RAIL PRES SENS
116B: SPRKADV (DEG BTDC) DESIRED IGN SPARK TIMING
115A: LOAD (%) CALC ENG LOAD
1103: LOOP (0PEN/CLOSED) FEEDBACK FUEL CTRL STATUS [0/1]
1141: FUELPW1 (mS) INJ PULSE WIDTH-BANK ONE [TICKS]
1142: FUELPW2 (mS) INJ PULSE WIDTH-BANK TWO [TICKS]
1139: ECT (F) ENG COOLANT TEMP
1158: SHRTFT1 (%) SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM-BANK 1
1159: SHRTFT1 (%) SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM-BANK 2
1154: TP V (V) THROT POS BEFORE FMEM SUB [A/D COUNTS]

DIAGNOSTICS->REAL TIME DATA->GAS DRIVABILITY
------------------------------------------------------------
1156: LONGFT1 (%) LONG TERM FUEL TRIM-BANK 1
1157: LONGFT2 (%) LONG TERM FUEL TRIM-BANK 2
1159: SHRTFT2 (%) SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM-BANK 2
1671: MAF (Gm/S) MASS AIR FLOW RATE
1173: O2S11 (V) O2 SENS BANK 1 UPSTREAM
1175: O2S21 (V) O2 SENS BANK 2 UPSTREAM
11C1: SPEED (MPH) VSS VEH SPEED SENS

DIAGNOSTICS->REAL TIME DATA->GAS FUEL
1127: BARO (HZ) BARO PRES SENS (IN H2O)
114E: DPFEGR (V) DIFF PRES FEEDBK EXHAUST GAS RECIRC [A/D COUNTS]
####: MISF (OFF/ON) ENG MISFIRE STATUS
1103: LOOP (0PEN/CLOSED) FEEDBACK FUEL CTRL STATUS [0/1]
####: FFFM (OFF/ON) FLEX FUEL SENS ON/OFF
16CO: CAS GND (V) FP GND/SIG RET DIFF
16C1: FLI (%) FUEL LVL IN
16BF: FLI V (V) FUEL LVL IN-VOLT
1672: FP (%) FPDC FUEL PUMP DUTY CYCLE
1673: FP M (%) FPMSDC FUEL PUMP MONITOR DUTY CYCLE
####: FPM (OFF/ON) FUEL PUMP MONITOR ON/OFF
####: FPF (NO/YES) FUEL PUMP OUT FAULT DETECTED
168B: FRP V (V) FUEL RAIL PRES SENS-VOLT
1639: FTP V (V) FUEL TANK PRES-VOLT
1687: FTP (H2O) FUEL TANK PRES PURGE MONITOR
162D: INJ1F (NO/YES) INJ 1 OUT FAULT DETECTED (BIT 1)
INJ2F (NO/YES) INJ 2 OUT FAULT DETECTED (BIT 2)
INJ3F (NO/YES) INJ 3 OUT FAULT DETECTED (BIT 3)
INJ4F (NO/YES) INJ 4 OUT FAULT DETECTED (BIT 4)
INJ5F (NO/YES) INJ 5 OUT FAULT DETECTED (BIT 5)
INJ6F (NO/YES) INJ 6 OUT FAULT DETECTED (BIT 6)
INJ7F (NO/YES) INJ 7 OUT FAULT DETECTED (BIT 7)
INJ8F (NO/YES) INJ 8 OUT FAULT DETECTED (BIT 8)
1141: FUELPW1 (mS) INJ PULSE WIDTH-BANK ONE [TICKS]
1142: FUELPW2 (mS) INJ PULSE WIDTH-BANK TWO [TICKS]
114A: IAT V (V) INTAKE AIR TEMP-VOLT
1156: LONGFT1 (%) LONG TERM FUEL TRIM-BANK 1
1157: LONGFT2 (%) LONG TERM FUEL TRIM-BANK 2
1169: TPREL (V) RPLRNMIN LOWEST IDLE THROT POS [A/D COUNTS]
####: HTR12 (OFF/ON) O2S HTR BK 1 DNSTREAM
1679: HTR11CM (AMP) O2S HTR BK 1 UPSTREAM PRIM CKT MON
167B: HTR21CM (AMP) O2S HTR BK 2 UPSTREAM PRIM CKT MON
####: PSP (LOW/HIGH) PWR STEER LOAD PRESENT
1159: SHRTFT2 (%) SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM-BANK 2
11BA: TCCRAT () TCC RATIO(TSS/ENG RPM)
1125: TP MODE (?) THROT POS MODE
1172: VPWR (V) VEH PWR VOLT
11C1: VSS (KPH) VEH SPD SENS
0900: MAP V (V) MAP VOLT
163C: OL (OPEN/CLOSED) FUELSYS OPEN LOOP FUEL STATUS
16BC: O2S11SV (V) BANK 1 UPSTREAM HEGO VOLT
16BD: O2S21SV (V) BANK 2 UPSTREAM HEGO VOLT
16DD: FF_LRN (NO/YES) FLEX FUEL-ALCOHOL CONTENT LEARNED
16D3: MFFRPM (RPM) ENGINE RPM AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D4: MFFLOAD (%) ENGINE LOAD AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D5: MFFVS (MPH) VEHICLE SPEED AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D6: MFFIAT (F) INTAKE AIR TEMP AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D7: FMMSOAK (MIN) ENGINE-OFF SOAK TIME AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D8: MFFRNTM (SEC) ENGINE RUNNING TIME AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16DA: MFFTP (V) THROTTLE POSITION AT TIME OF MISFIRE [A/D COUNTS]
16D6: MFFTNCT (#) # OF DRIVE CYCLES AT TIME OF MISFIRE
1625: PSP_V (V) POWER STEERING PRES SENSOR [A/D COUNTS]
####: O2S11FM (NO/YES) EGO11 FLT
1135: RPMDSD (RPM) DESIRED IDLE RPM
163E: REARFT1 (%) RR FUEL TRIM BANK 1
163F: REARFT2 (%) RR FUEL TRIM BANK 2

DIAGNOSTICS->REAL TIME DATA->GAS IGNITION
####: **** (NO/YES) MALF INDICATE LMP OUT FAULT DET
####: MIL (OFF/ON) MALF IND LMP
####: OCTADJ (CLOSED/OPEN) OCTANE ADJ CTRL-OPEN TO RETARD
16D3: MFFRPM (RPM) ENGINE RPM AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D4: MFFLOAD (%) ENGINE LOAD AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D5: MFFVS (MPH) VEHICLE SPEED AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D6: MFFIAT (F) INTAKE AIR TEMP AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D7: FMMSOAK (MIN) ENGINE-OFF SOAK TIME AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16D8: MFFRNTM (SEC) ENGINE RUNNING TIME AT TIME OF MISFIRE
16DA: MFFTP (V) THROTTLE POSITION AT TIME OF MISFIRE [A/D COUNTS]
####: MFFPNP (NO/YES) IN DRIVE AT TIME OF MISFIRE

DIAGNOSTICS->REAL TIME DATA->GAS SPEED CONTROL
0906: SCCS_F (NO YES) NO PID DEFN
####: SC_F* () NO PID DEFN
####: SF_HW_F* () NO PID DEFN
####: SCINT_F* () NO PID DEFN

DIAGNOSTICS->REAL TIME DATA->GAS TRANS
PID#: acronym (units) defin=iation [CMR_DAT converted units]
####: CCL_ON (OFF/ON) NO PID DEFN
####: CKPLWP (NO/YES) NO PID DEFN
####: SW4X4L (OFF/ON) NO PID DEFN
1127: BARO (HZ) BARO PRES SENS (IN H2O)
####: BPP/BOO (OFF/ON) BRK PEDAL POS/BRK SW ON/OFF
162B: TSS (RPM) TSS/ISS TURBINE/IN SPD SENS
1105: CCS (OFF/ON) TRAC COAST CLUTCH SOL 3/2 TIMING PRES
1632: CCSF (NO/YES) SSA_F COAST CLUTCH SOL-FAULT
11B3: GEAR (#) COMMANDED GEAR(USE IN DRIVE)
1624: CHT (F) CYL HEAD TEMP
####: CHT V (V) CYL HEAD TEMP VOLTS
11B2: EPC V (V) LPCM ELECT PRES CONT TRANS SHIFT VOLTS [A/D COUNTS]
11CO: EPC (KPA) LPC ELECTRONIC PRES CONT TRANS SHIFT CMD
1139: ECT (C) ENG COOLANT TEMP
####: **** (NO/YES) MALF INDICATE LMP OUT FAULT DET
####: MIL (OFF/ON) MALF IND LMP
160D: PTO (OFF/ON) PWR TAKE-OFF STATUS
####: SS1* (OFF/ON) SHIFT SOL 1 COMMANDED ON
####: SSA* (OFF/ON) SHIFT SOL 1 COMMANDED ON
####: SS1F* (OFF/ON) SHIFT SOL 1 OUT FAULT DET
####: SS2* (OFF/ON) SHIFT SOL 2 COMMANDED ON
####: SS2B* (OFF/ON) ?
####: SS2F* (OFF/ON) SHIFT SOL 2 OUT FAULT DET
####: SS3* (OFF/ON) SHIFT SOL 3 COMMANDED ON
####: SS3F* (OFF/ON) SHIFT SOL 3 OUT FAULT DET
11BA: TCCRAT () TCC RATIO(TSS/ENG RPM)
1154: TP V (V) THROT POS BEFORE FMEM SUB [A/D COUNTS]
1125: TP_MODE (#) THROT POS MODE
11BO: TCC (%) TORQ CONV CLUTCH SOL DUTY CYCLE COMD
11B8: TCCMACT (RPM) TORQ CONV MOD ACTUAL
1677: TCCCMCMD (RPM) TORQ CONV MOD COMMANDED
####: TCIL (OFF/ON) TRANS CTRL IND LMP STATUS
1151: TR V (V) TRANS RANGE SENS-ANALOG [A/D COUNTS]
16B5: TR D (#) TRANS RANGE SENS-DIGITAL
11B6: TR (#) TRANS RANGE SENS INDICATED GEAR POS
1674: TFT (C) TRANS FLUID TEMP
11BD: TFT V (V) TRANS FLUID TEMP VOLTS
11B5: OSS (RPM) TRANS OUT SHAFT SPD
11C1: VSS (KPH) VEH SPD SENS
####: CPP_SRC (?) CLUTCH PEDAL POSITION
####: PC1_F (NONE/?) PRES CNTRL FLT

NOTES:
#### = Predator logged PID data but CMR_DAT did not display or convert it
* = Predator would display live data but wouldn't log it
To convert a/d counts to volts: Divide the a/d counts by 1024 and multiply by 5.
To convert volts to a/d counts: Divide the volts by 5 and multiply by 1024.

Seneca
01-14-2007, 06:54 PM
JD you are a life saver!. My car is up and running again. thanks for all the Help. I've got my homework cut out for me now. :D

maraudernkc
01-14-2007, 07:59 PM
JD, you are over the top. This is an awesome write up on the Predator's functions. I hope if some some of you don't understand something, that you will just ask. JD, thanks for doing this for all of us that have this tool.

HwyCruiser
01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
JD you are a life saver!. My car is up and running again. thanks for all the Help. I've got my homework cut out for me now. :D

Good to hear you're squared away!

Not to pick on Seneca, but he made the mistake I talked about in post #8. Thankfully we had a soft copy of his custom tune to load back into the Predator. He just needed a little coaching on how to do it.

This brings up another tip...

Tip #7: If you ever see "Performance Tune" listed on the Predator's opening screen it means the custom tune has somehow been erased. This could happen if you restore the original backup or your purposefully (although probably unintentionally) erasing the custom tune from the Predator's memory yourself. The performance tune is Diablo's factory programmed performance tune for a naturally aspirated Marauder. It is NOT interchangeable with F.I.T.'s custom s/c tune. Do not load the "Performance Tune" into a supercharged car! It might flash ok, but I bet it'll idle pretty poorly and throw a code or two because of the mismatched MAF and injectors. This is another reason why having a soft copy of your custom tune is so important.

I hope I'm not scaring people away from using their Predators. You just need to be aware of this "gotcha" and watch what you're doing. The best way on how to learn it is to use it, and as long as you have your custom and original backup tunes on disk you really can't get yourself into too much trouble.

HwyCruiser
01-14-2007, 08:48 PM
JD, you are over the top. This is an awesome write up on the Predator's functions. I hope if some some of you don't understand something, that you will just ask. JD, thanks for doing this for all of us that have this tool.

You're welcome! Those of us that paid the extra $$ for the Predator upgrade over the custom chip might as well figure out how to use its bells and whistles. I just want to offer whatever help I can since I've played around it for awhile now.

Seneca
01-16-2007, 07:04 AM
I hope I'm not scaring people away from using their Predators. You just need to be aware of this "gotcha" and watch what you're doing. The best way on how to learn it is to use it, and as long as you have your custom and original backup tunes on disk you really can't get yourself into too much trouble. < Quote

One things for sure i'll never use it again!.. Just kidding. the predator is a very handy tool. Just gotta know how to use it, Like any tool.
Oh yeah i forgot to mention over the weekend i took my car through Emissions and it passed no questions no hold up. took me about three minutes, Seneca

HwyCruiser
01-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh yeah i forgot to mention over the weekend i took my car through Emissions and it passed no questions no hold up. took me about three minutes, Seneca

Interesting. What kind of emissions test do they do where you're at? Just a ODB-II check or do they hook up a sniffer?

RCSignals
01-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Does the predator come with a user manual?

HwyCruiser
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
The manual can be downloaded off of the the U7146 Predator page.

http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=14

Integration between the Predator and the DSDownload and CMR_DAT PC utilities is detailed in their respective manuals. Pulling it all together and figuring out the do's and don'ts takes some time to become familiar with the tools. Look at this thread as crib notes on all of the above.

teamrope
01-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I just got a laptop, so I will probably start getting to know it a little better in the coming months. I did back up the stock tune this morning, that's something I never thought of doing before. Thanks for the write up JD. :)

HwyCruiser
01-16-2007, 10:36 PM
BJ, did you find a laptop with a serial port or did you get a USB to serial port converter to work? If so post up the details.

teamrope
01-16-2007, 10:58 PM
BJ, did you find a laptop with a serial port or did you get a USB to serial port converter to work? If so post up the details.

I got a USB to Serial adapter, and the software recognized it on COM port 5. :)

HwyCruiser
01-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I got a USB to Serial adapter, and the software recognized it on COM port 5. :)

Cool.. you just posted your first tip! :up:

Seneca
01-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Interesting. What kind of emissions test do they do where you're at? Just a ODB-II check or do they hook up a sniffer?
Just OBD All they did was plug in under the dash. Bam done. :D

ggt4
01-19-2007, 05:32 PM

ggt4
01-29-2007, 08:53 AM
I also have the usb adapter but mine is showing as com port 7,and there is no 7 on the ds downloader

Mike M
01-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Any tips for adjusting the speedo? I know I can have Dave do it but I would like to adjust my 305 Nitto's and 4:10 rear myself.

chader
01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
It would be cool if someone did a thread like this for SCT!!

HwyCruiser
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
I also have the usb adapter but mine is showing as com port 7,and there is no 7 on the ds downloader

Gill, since both my desktop and laptop have serial ports I haven't had a need to mess around with a USB adapter, but you should be able to change the default com port. Your's probably has a driver that you can manually configure it for COM port 1-4. If the adapter didn't come with a CD you might look at the paperwork and see if there is a driver you can download off the net or google it. You might also try to find the adapter in the Windows Device Manager and looking its setup info.

Once you get it figured out post up what you did to get it to work.

HwyCruiser
01-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Any tips for adjusting the speedo? I know I can have Dave do it but I would like to adjust my 305 Nitto's and 4:10 rear myself.

Mike, did you just put the 4.10's in? An gear ratio change will require a change to the tune since this isn't accessible in the "Modify Tune->Axle Ratio" menu. It's kind of a letdown to find out you can't change the gear ratio yourself, but Dave would be able to do this pretty quick in the ChipMaster Revolution software for you via email.

What is in the "Custom Tune->Modify Tune->Modify Parameters->Axle Ratio" menu is "Tire Revs Per Mile". Dave set mine to 733 for the 295/45 Nitto NTs. You can only adjust this up and down in 10 revolutions per mile increments (from 500 to 2000), so depending on where yours is set you might not be able to nail it perfectly. I think you're wanting 723 revs per mile. Again, I'd hit Dave up since he can take care of this for you on your lifetime tuning privileges that comes with the kit.

ggt4
01-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Ive got my usb adapter set up on comm 6, but everytime I try to backup my stock tune it says transfer failed.

HwyCruiser
01-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Check the rest of the DSDownloader settings:
COMx
Send to Freedom unchecked
Compressed Send unchecked

FYI, you'll also need to reboot the PC after you first install the DSDownloader to get it the com to work.

ggt4
01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks, its working now. I got the stock tune downloaded. Now I have to figure out data logging so I can get the car dyno'd

HwyCruiser
01-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks, its working now. I got the stock tune downloaded. Now I have to figure out data logging so I can get the car dyno'd

Great! As far as getting used to data logging, refer to my previous posts in this thread and try it out a few times on the road to get familiar with how it works and how to upload the logs to the PC via the CMR_DAT utility.

I'm pretty sure Dave will need a log of RPM, MAF_V, SPARK, LOAD and IAT sampled at the fast rate from the Predator along with the AFR vs. RPM reports from the dyno (graph and long text version) to get the MAF transfer function dialed in. The data logging will need to be done at the same time the dyno pulls are made so both sets of data can be lined up against RPM. Double check with Dave before you go though to make sure you get what he needs.

Cougar_Marauder
04-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi all,
I just bought a diablo predator for my 03 MM and am having some problems. I know it is also used for some mustangs but when it loads up it says "loading mustang" is that normal? Also when I try to do some data logging it says "not compatible with this vehicle" When i loaded the diablo tune on i took it for a test drive and didnt seem to make much/any difference. Then when i checked the last tune written it still said Original Backup... This stuff is pretty new to me, so any info/basics would be appreciated.

HwyCruiser
04-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Cougar_Marauder, the Predator will say "Booting Mustang" and then display a progress bar right after powering up. Is that what you are referring to? After it gets done "booting up" then you should see the top level menu items.

Since you have a naturally aspirated (non-supercharged) application, you should see Performance Tune, Diagnostics and Options as the top level menu items. Since you've looked at the tune last written and saw original backup, then you either inadvertently reloaded the stock tune, the performance tune failed to take during a load, or you tried to tweak a setting which it didn't like and it forced the original backup back into the vehicle.

In any case, it looks like you're back to square one and should be able to try and load the performance tune again. To load the tune, select the Performance Tune top level menu item and then follow the prompts (selecting Load Tune when it comes up) and post up what it does. It should make you select Automatic transmission type and then it will back up your original tune and load the performance tune. Good luck!

Cougar_Marauder
05-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks HwyCruiser,
Not sure what I did differently but after I saved my original tune to my comp I tryed again and it worked, even the data logging works now. I seem to get a faster take off, which is what I wanted the most. Now to save up for that S/C...hopfully next summer.