PDA

View Full Version : Addco sway bar install

DEFYANT
01-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Bob (CheeseheadBob) will be bringing his Marauder over for a front and rear sway bar install this Saturday afternoon, 1/27/07. Weather looks good - no snow! As always, my garage door is open for any CAMers who may want to ca'mon by while we work on our cars.

RR|Suki
01-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Bob (CheeseheadBob) will be bringing his Marauder over for a front and rear sway bar install this Saturday afternoon, 1/27/07. Weather looks good - no snow! As always, my garage door is open for any CAMers who may want to ca'mon by while we work on our cars.

yu should do a mini how to on the install, I never did get a clear answer on if jacking up or ramps would be better. :D

jawz101
01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Be sure to have something available to grind off the bolts on the rear bar. Unless you want to keep the stock pieces. It's damn near impossible to get a wrench in between where they are bolted in and the bottom of the car. I had a guy bring over an airtool grinder to remove them.

MarauderMark
01-24-2007, 03:46 AM
What time to be there?:D

Haggis
01-24-2007, 04:03 AM
Will be at the DC car show on Saturday with some other CAM members.

As to installing the sway bars, it is easier if the wheels are not hanging in the air.

MM2004
01-24-2007, 04:13 AM

As to installing the sway bars, it is easier if the wheels are not hanging in the air.

What Gordon said.

Mike.

Seneca
01-24-2007, 07:00 AM
I might swing by and check out the front sway bar. About what time does this get underway?

KillJoy
01-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Be sure to have something available to grind off the bolts on the rear bar. Unless you want to keep the stock pieces. It's damn near impossible to get a wrench in between where they are bolted in and the bottom of the car. I had a guy bring over an airtool grinder to remove them.

What are you talking about??? Noting needs to be ground or cut off.

I think there were 4 bolts total in the rear. Try some WD-40 or some PB Blaster ;)

KillJoy

vkirkend
01-24-2007, 08:15 AM
I would come bye but the wife is coming home on Friday after a 3 month detail to Atlanta. I don't think she will let me leave to hang out so soon...

O's Fan Rich
01-24-2007, 08:34 AM
I did mine on the lift, leaving the bolts all loose. Then put her on the ground and cinched them up.

Wish I could be there, but Michelle and I are going away.

Mike Poore
01-24-2007, 08:36 AM
I'll be at the car show as well. It will only be a few more weeks until the garage and, most importantly, the lift get electrified. The contractor's been here and is buying lights and heaters to install to get the shop all fixed up. But, when that's done, we can use my garage/lift if you want to wait that long.
Why not let's all do the car show this Saturday, and make the swaybar install a CAM event, here in Fairfield?

jawz101
01-24-2007, 09:39 AM

I think there were 4 bolts total in the rear. Try some WD-40 or some PB Blaster ;)

KillJoy

It was a pain for me. I read someone else that had the same problems too

HwyCruiser
01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Charlie, I need any tips I can get on installing the front bar - I've got one on the way. Thanks in advance!

Herco23
01-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I just installed mine and it was a like stealing candy from a kid. just unscrew and screw back on, althought using a ramp is much easier.

DEFYANT
01-24-2007, 09:11 PM
yu should do a mini how to on the install, I never did get a clear answer on if jacking up or ramps would be better. :D

Perhaps I will. Since i will be doing two of them, I could try installing one under load and one with the suspension hanging...

Whoa! I did the rear Addco on my Marauder about a year ago if not longer. My was a breeze. Though if the car has more miles (mine had around 20K or less) and/or that under-coat stuff, it could make removal a PITA!

What time to be there?:D

Bob will arrive around 1pm, see you then :beer:

I wanted to go to the AutoShow this year again. But the AM is claimed until 12:30pm

I might swing by and check out the front sway bar. About what time does this get underway?

Ca'mon up Seneca, around 1pm.

KillJoy

+1

I'll be at the car show as well. It will only be a few more weeks until the garage and, most importantly, the lift get electrified. The contractor's been here and is buying lights and heaters to install to get the shop all fixed up. But, when that's done, we can use my garage/lift if you want to wait that long.
Why not let's all do the car show this Saturday, and make the swaybar install a CAM event, here in Fairfield?

Thanks for the invite Mike. But my weekends are booked into the end of February. Pushing it off is gambling with the weather - snow!. As it is now, it will be cold out and chilly in the garage - until the space heater catches up. Besides, having mods laying around is worse then being a kid on x-mas eve!

Charlie, I need any tips I can get on installing the front bar - I've got one on the way. Thanks in advance!

You got it JD!

To the rest, sorry you can't make it. The doors are still open if you change your minds.

jawz101
01-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Whoa! I did the rear Addco on my Marauder about a year ago if not longer. My was a breeze. Though if the car has more miles (mine had around 20K or less) and/or that under-coat stuff, it could make removal a PITA!

here's where I was referring to another user having probs w/ rear sway bar bolt removals. teamrope's comments (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12571&highlight=addco+sway+install) were what I recalled as someone having similar problems as I.
It reads as if some people used the OEM bolts instead of the provided in the kit.
It may not be a problem for most I guess.

MarauderMark
01-25-2007, 03:41 AM
Anything to be bought/picked up while i'ma heading thata way ? Let me know.

Cheeseheadbob
01-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for asking Mark. How about 1 bushel of Maryland Blues, a case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, some corn, cole slaw, and rolls and maybe a strawberry short cake for dessert. :D
Anything to be bought/picked up while i'ma heading thata way ? Let me know.

Bluerauder
01-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for asking Mark. How about 1 bushel of Maryland Blues ....... :D
Sorry Charlie, I'll be at the Washington Auto Show this Saturday, too. You guys have a good time at the CHB Install and MarauderMark picnic. ;)

Mark, a bushel of blue crabs shouldn't be much more than $125.00 this time of year. :D The beer and cole slaw should be cheaper. :rofl:

Mike Poore
01-26-2007, 06:33 AM
After getting emails from both Charlie's it appears I mis-understood what was going on, and went off half cocked. I'm sorry. :o

Haggis
01-26-2007, 06:49 AM
After getting emails from both Charlie's it appears I mis-understood what was going on, and went off half cocked. I'm sorry. :o

Barb told Chris that this is a common problem with you, you only go off half cocked. :lol:

DEFYANT
01-26-2007, 07:06 AM

Thanks Mike :) :beer:

You know there is a pill for that...?

Bluerauder
01-26-2007, 07:07 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

Barb told Chris that this is a common problem with you, you only go off half cocked. :lol:
Oh my !!! :eek: What's the old saying "Half a Loaf is better than none". Probably applies here too.

I'll be back after cleaning off my keyboard. :rofl:

Big House
01-27-2007, 07:40 PM

Not flaming, but that's not true at all. Did the rears in about an hour...True they were a PITA to get off but the gave non the less.

Big House
01-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Charlie and Bob,

Hate I couldn't make it out but this will soon change. I am taking back my Saturdays for me and the beast.

Bob, remember the exits at 60+....well these will give you another 20.

BTW for those asking, jack stands in the front and ramps in the rear.

Big House

DEFYANT
01-28-2007, 07:06 AM
First! A special thanks to MarauderMark, Frdfreak (Jack), 04MarauderMd666 (Seneca) and CheeseheadBob. You guys really made this a group effort that was enjoyable for all!

The install of Bobs front and rear bars wasn't much of an issue. The just about fall into place. On my car we need to massage the new frame brackets because they would not fit over the studs. A few minutes with Mr. File, and we were moving right along. We did not have this problem with Bobs car.

Also, on my car, the adaptor bracket on the drivers side for the Bear brakes was in the way. A few minutes with Mr. Grinder limited the interfearance when turning at full lock. Another problem we did not have on Bobs car.

We also did the front grill mod to Bobs car, swapped out my drag radials for the oem rear wheels, lubed the rear control arms and installed the Dyno Pros Door Sills.

Driving impressions are what you'd expect. Though I am glad I didn't pay alot for this bar. My car handled pretty good as it was. I did notice it stayed flatter under load in the sharp turns and had less bounce. The true test will be on a road trip to New York. That Belt Pkwy makes the front of my car bounce around like a boat in rough seas. The rear has always been solid.

For my next trick: Cut Front Springs. ;)

Bluerauder
01-28-2007, 07:23 AM
First! A special thanks to MarauderMark, Frdfreak (Jack), 04MarauderMd666 (Seneca) and CheeseheadBob. You guys really made this a group effort that was enjoyable for all!

Glad to hear that everything went well. Looks like you had a good turnout for the installs. I'm gonna have to make the trip up there sometime when you guys have one of these working sessions. :D

DEFYANT
01-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Glad to hear that everything went well. Looks like you had a good turnout for the installs. I'm gonna have to make the trip up there sometime when you guys have one of these working sessions. :D

You and all (known) CAMers are welcome here any time.

Here are some pics. Nothing real discriptive. Just the gus who did all the work. Make sure when you remove the bars, you compare the new one to the old one. It's very easy to get the bar turned over and installed upside down.

http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/gallery/files/6/4/DCP_2184.JPG

http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/gallery/files/6/4/DCP_2185.JPG

http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/gallery/files/6/4/DCP_2186.JPG

Seneca
01-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Glad everything went well with the installs charlie. Sorry i couldnt hang out longer. Had a great time as always though. Seneca

HwyCruiser
01-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Charlie, did you do the front bar with the wheels off and the front of the car on jacks? Also, what lubrication was used on the bushings? My front bar is supposed to get here tomorrow.

MarauderMark
01-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Man working on Marauders @ Charlie is about the funnest things for me to do(had a Great time) and its even more better when other memebers are there.You guys rock:rock:

DEFYANT
01-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Charlie, did you do the front bar with the wheels off and the front of the car on jacks? Also, what lubrication was used on the bushings? My front bar is supposed to get here tomorrow.

JD,
Yes. I jacked the rear and set it up on the ramps. I jacked the front up and set the jack stands under the lower A arms shock mount. Actually under the shock. That kept the suspension compressed. I do not think it would have mattered if the suspension hung free or not.

I used the synthetic grease I use for the Metco control arms to lube the bushings on the front sway bar. You can see the bracket in Marks pics I had to mod to fit my car.

Mark, thanks again. You and the other guys make the install fun! Good thing we all do not live close! :beer:

Dan19063
01-29-2007, 10:23 AM
What torque specs did you use for the fron sway bar bolts?

DEFYANT
01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
What torque specs did you use for the fron sway bar bolts?

Good-n-tight. ;)

The bolts were not very hard to remove off either car.

High-C
02-26-2007, 08:25 AM
I just stroked a check for both front and rears and it seems like everyone on this thread has accomplished this. When I finally get them in the mail maybe I can talk a few of the NOVA boys into giving me some supervision in Alexandria... Of course I will supply the food and refreshments. Any takers?

- Chris

Commodore Crap
02-26-2007, 04:45 PM
maybe ill have to buy a set and we can have a garage party!! :party: