PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust vs converter?

JonW
01-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I grew up owning, building, and hot-rodding around in 455-powered Oldsmobiles. I love the torque those cars put out, and that has made me into a torque monster. My Marauder will seldom see the dark side of 100 mph, but I want to get there fast, and without a lot of noise. I'm a fan of acceleration, not top end. And I want to be stealthy.

I've been reading posts on exhaust for the last 3 hours and still don't have a definitive answer to my question, which is, if I were to spend around $1300 or so, what's the best bang for the buck, keeping in mind my goals of torque and stealthiness:

1) Factory exhaust, H-pipe, Borla mufflers (I love the sound), and a high-stall torque coverter, or

2) DR Cobra exhaust, Borla mufflers, and stock TC.

I already have underdrive pulleys, 4.10s, and a tune. All thoughts and opinions welcome.

bigmerc'03
01-25-2007, 10:24 PM
man i guess number 2 plus a high stall

MM_BKK
01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I would go for 3500 stall converter. You will definitely feel seat of the pants improvment.

Bradley G
01-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Niether of your scenarios, will give you the "big Block"
feeling, you are used to.
The converter will give more seat-o pants, than exhaust.
Trilogy, is what you are describing.

I grew up owning, building, and hot-rodding around in 455-powered Oldsmobiles. I love the torque those cars put out, and that has made me into a torque monster. My Marauder will seldom see the dark side of 100 mph, but I want to get there fast, and without a lot of noise. I'm a fan of acceleration, not top end. And I want to be stealthy.

I've been reading posts on exhaust for the last 3 hours and still don't have a definitive answer to my question, which is, if I were to spend around $1300 or so, what's the best bang for the buck, keeping in mind my goals of torque and stealthiness:

1) Factory exhaust, H-pipe, Borla mufflers (I love the sound), and a high-stall torque coverter, or

I already have underdrive pulleys, 4.10s, and a tune. All thoughts and opinions welcome.

Pat
01-26-2007, 03:27 AM
My philosophy is the same as yours. To get there quick, not go into orbit and do it economically.

After much research the following mods did it for me. Tune, 4:10's and 3500 PI stall converter. I'm in the mid 13's on 93 pump, nitrous, street tires and cool temps. Streetwise, the driver of the car in the next lane is left holding his "wherewithall".

Going to the track this week end if weather allows, Red River Raceway has started the new year's schedule already.

fastblackmerc
01-26-2007, 05:09 AM
I'd go with the convertor and a new exhaust system, one that is 2.5" all the way back, Magnaflows, hi-flow cats (2). You should look into the Mustang shorty headers also.

magindat
01-26-2007, 06:02 AM
If you want torque and stealth the best example I've seen is Dennis Reinhart's car. He has kooks long tubes mated to the stock exhaust system. This plus a 3000 or 3500 converter would put you around 2 grand. You'd be stealthy and torquey (is that a word? who cares?).

sailsmen
01-26-2007, 06:10 AM
3,500 stall. My best 60' is 1.69. Definately that big block feel..

mpearce
01-26-2007, 06:54 AM
If you're not going for a supercharger later on down the road, do the 3500 stall and do the mufflers you want only, leave the rest of the exhaust alone. IMO any type of exhaust kit, whether it be manifolds, long tubes, (any combo) etc, etc won't end up being "stealthy" like you want.

A torque converter and "mufflers only" with labor should be right on with your estimate...$1300.

-Mat

merc
01-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Don't forget tires. You can have all the hp and tq in the world, but if you can't put it to the ground it's a waste. Think about control arms while you are at it.

juno
01-26-2007, 08:18 AM
If you want some torque, go for the 3500 stall. It is the single best bang for the buck to get you out of the hole. The multiplication and the high stall will add the equivalent 50 -75 rwhp as proved out by 1320 times (takes off .5-.75 seconds). Do the meziere pump for another 10-20 to the wheels (it also helps you get into the torque range faster) and get a CAI to help you breathe as the RPM'S climb. If you can get rid of the kitty's, do it. The sound will be very different and you will gain ponies. When you get the mods done, get a custom tune on the dyno by one of the marauder experts. And you can get some slightly smaller diameter rear tires if you wish, like 255-50's to make your 4.10's more like a 4.30 or so. If you do all that, you will notice a significant difference in getting her moving.

JMHO, headers and exhaust is not worth the money unless you want:
1.The sound
2.Building the ultimate N/A marauder (it would be the last thing I would add)
3.Getting the most out of the stock SC kits offered.

A 2.5" exhaust alone on an N/A marauder will not make much of a difference unless you do the headers, eliminate cats and change the muffler style. Even then you won't be able to take full advantage of it until you start ramming some air down her throat.

mpearce
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Just a torque converter alone will add very little, if any HP at all. In reality, probably none. However, your seat of the pants experience will be completely different.

-Mat

jawz101
01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Check Dennis' affordable supercharger kit (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33203)

juno
01-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Just a torque converter alone will add very little, if any HP at all. In reality, probably none. However, your seat of the pants experience will be completely different.

-Mat

It will effectively add 50 -70 RWHP by:

1: getting you into a higher HP/torque range when starting.
2. It has a 20-30% torque multiplication over the stock converter.

If you are a dyno queen you won't see it, but the real world 1320 numbers don't lie.

gonzo50
01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
I grew up owning, building, and hot-rodding around in 455-powered Oldsmobiles. I love the torque those cars put out, and that has made me into a torque monster.......if I were to spend around $1300 or so, what's "the best bang for the buck", keeping in mind my goals of torque and stealthiness:

Number #1 for the SOTP feel, I have the 3000 stall PI and love it.:burnout:

the_pack_rat
01-29-2007, 09:45 PM
I'd do some exhaust stuff before I did a converter. You already have the 4.10's ... so you are jumping out of the hole faster than a 3.55 car.

A converter will no doubt increase your launch ... but they can be a love it or hate it kind of thing.

No offense intended to the "pro" after market converter crowd.

You can always take the money saved from the cost of the converter/labor & put it towards something else ......

Like another OLDSMOBILE.

:D

magindat
01-30-2007, 06:48 AM
... but they can be a love it or hate it kind of thing.

That, my friend, is a tuning issue!

juno
01-30-2007, 07:40 AM
He wants the best bang for the buck. A converter is it.

magindat
01-30-2007, 07:47 AM
He wants the best bang for the buck. A converter is it.

Stealth, too. Agreed.

Ed Tarras
01-30-2007, 06:21 PM
If I put in a 3000 TC will that affect the tune I have from Lideo with the x-cal 2?

juno
01-31-2007, 06:31 AM
I am not absolutley sure, but it may 'soften' the shifts a bit. Your best bet is to contact him and ask. He may even have a new file to send you.

If I put in a 3000 TC will that affect the tune I have from Lideo with the x-cal 2?