PDA

View Full Version : No cats or muflers=poor gas mileage?

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I was driving around the other day with my mufflers and exhaust bypassed because of my header dumpers and my friend told me that it's killing my gas mileage. Since I was driving my Blazer in the city and letting that V8 roar at every stop and go light, he told me I must be getting 5mpg because of the cutoffs. Now I think he might be right as far as gas mileage being down the tubes because of my driving style, but I don't think you can go from 9mpg in the city to 5 just because of no cats or mufflers. Am I wrong, right or a little off?

mpearce
01-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Start 1 more thread for good measure. You know, in case anyone missed the first 6.

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 03:58 PM
That doesn't answer my question.

KillJoy
01-28-2007, 03:58 PM

But......the advice is good ;)

KillJoy

dwasson
01-28-2007, 04:24 PM

I don't know about the rest of them. But, I've been thinking that someone who's motto is, "Proud to be an *********", shouldn't be encouraged by answering their questions.

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Man I get this attitude from everyone everytime my view differs from someone elses. You guys should take a look at yourselves sometime. I think it's pretty apparent that I was having problems with my computeras far as the thread goes. Why would I wanna post the same thing 5 times or 6 times? :confused:

LILALLEYKATT
01-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Man I get this attitude from everyone everytime my view differs from someone elses. You guys should take a look at yourselves sometime. I think it's pretty apparent that I was having problems with my computeras far as the thread goes. Why would I wanna post the same thing 5 times or 6 times? :confused:
At least its a Marauder question and not "Who's your favorite mosh pit break dancer".....I mean Chevy question..:confused:

dwasson
01-28-2007, 04:42 PM

It's not about the multiple posts. It's about bragging about running around without mufflers. Why should every other driver on the road have to listen to your POS Blazer?

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 04:50 PM
First off wow your real weak to be calling other peoples ride a POS especially when you haven't ever seen it. Next if I wanna start a music thread I will and like I keep telling you kids if you don't like it or don't care simply don't post. I hate drinking and all drugs with a passion, but I don't give people crap when they ask about making drinks or anything like that. They got their fun and i got mine. As long as it doesn't effect me, let the people do what they want. Third this is a garage question because my Blazer isn't the only thing out there with header dumpers and I'm sure it has the same effect on the Marauder anyway if I could get the dumpers on before the cats.

Now are we going to help me and answer this or are you going to act like a bunch of wanna be bullys and gimme crap about everything? You guys are all talk on here and whenever I PM someone to discuss some form of an arguement in a private matter no one ever responds. It's apparent that all you guys want is attention by bashing other people. I guess some never mature. :shake:

dwasson
01-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Butch up a little. We've all been *********s at one time or another. My concern is how proud you are about it.

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm no ********* dude, but think what you want your not the first to label me like this. If you took the time to meet me in person I'm actually quite nice and the truck is a clean machine. Now when you get this side of me all fired up I guess I can be an *********, but I'm not a full time *********. DON'T FORGET IT! :P

Can someone please answer my questions abut cats and mufflers?

BruteForce
01-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Can someone please answer my questions abut cats and mufflers?

I would but I can't decide which post to reply to.

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 05:28 PM
You have reponded to this one.

2003DOHC
01-28-2007, 05:40 PM
I was driving around the other day with my mufflers and exhaust bypassed because of my header dumpers and my friend told me that it's killing my gas mileage. Since I was driving my Blazer in the city and letting that V8 roar at every stop and go light, he told me I must be getting 5mpg because of the cutoffs. Now I think he might be right as far as gas mileage being down the tubes because of my driving style, but I don't think you can go from 9mpg in the city to 5 just because of no cats or mufflers. Am I wrong, right or a little off?

Bypassing the mufflers should not have that much effect on mileage if any.

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 05:42 PM
What about the cats?

KillJoy
01-28-2007, 05:58 PM
After meeting up w/ you.....I agree...you are not an *********. And yes....your have a lot of hobbies that are not the "Norm" here.

Diversity is what makes this community such a great thing! :up:

As for your original question.....It SHOULD not change your milage. However, if you keep mashing the pedal to hear it, THAT will ;)

KillJoy

KillJoy
01-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Oh yeah.....after seeing Dominick's truck....it ain't no POS. It REALLY DOES look good.

It can smoke some serious tires too :D

KillJoy

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks KillJoy. Thats the answer I was hoping for although gas mileage isn't a big deal to me. See someone can saying something only if they met me. I always seem to get misunderstood anyway and like always I really don't care what anyone thinks of me unless they matter in my life.

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Oh yeah.....after seeing Dominick's truck....it ain't no POS. It REALLY DOES look good.

It can smoke some serious tires too :D

KillJoy

Thanks man and after seeing Steves FAST I want one now too!

2003DOHC
01-28-2007, 06:13 PM
What about the cats?

Same answer as the mufflers no change!

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Alright thats what I wanted to hear!

JonW
01-28-2007, 06:57 PM
The only thing I can think of is that most engines need some backpressure to run properly. The mufflers and cats provide that backpressure. Flowmaster has done tests that show an engine will have more power with their muffler than with no muffler at all. So, if the engine is not running as well as it should due to lack of backpressure, then you'll be giving it more gas to get the level of performance it had with the mufflers and cats. Which will lower your fuel mileage.

Header dumps on a production engine do no good. All you're doing is annoying the hell out of other people, and degrading your performance. And, you may end up lunching a valve or two.

kayzap
01-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Straight pipes or header dumps will help on the top end but penalize you on the low end. It will lower your MPG in city driving but not dramaticly. Leastways thats what happens on my Harley. Need some backpressure. IMHO

fastblackmerc
01-28-2007, 07:49 PM
If you stuff the cats in the exhaust pipes or in the carburetor your gas mileage will suffer until you either blow them out or suck em' thru......

Here kittie, kittie

:D

1 Bad Merc
01-28-2007, 08:11 PM
I ran straight pipes on my 88' Mustang and ended up sucking the cats through the pipes. When this happened the car fell flat on it's face and was running real rough. My mechanic advised me that the engine has to have some backpressure or you kill the performance of the motor. I also ended up sucking out a valve also. I would put some kind of pipes or something on their to give you some back pressure or you will start sucking valves out of your motor and it will end up costing you more money in the end.

Brad

Motorhead350
01-28-2007, 08:52 PM
It's just a once in a while thing and never gets too many miles like that. I'm done racing it, it's too heavy. :o