PDA

View Full Version : Questions about adding brake fluid

Black03Marauder
02-04-2007, 03:16 PM
So the fluid level in the brake resevoir is about halfway through the word MAX and the brake light comes on during firm braking (not slamming the brake pedal to the floor). So based upon that, is it time to add brake fluid?

My first big question is can you just screw off the cap of the resevoir and pour the fluid in without worry of air getting into the brake lines?

Another question, what is a good safe way to handle brake fluid? I've heard it'll eat through car paint, does it have any other really bad attributes?

RoyLPita
02-04-2007, 04:55 PM
First off, how do the brakes look? Look at those first before adding.

Bigdogjim
02-04-2007, 05:06 PM
How long has the fluid been in the system?

Might be due for a flush?

Black03Marauder
02-04-2007, 06:10 PM
the discs look fine and the brakes act fine when I use them(the wheel doesn't shutter under braking and I don't hear any squealing)

what else am I to look for while checking the brakes?

fluid has been in the system for about 4 years.

Bigdogjim
02-04-2007, 06:14 PM
fluid has been in the system for about 4 years.

If it was my car I would flush the system.

How many miles?

Black03Marauder
02-04-2007, 06:33 PM
about 50,000 miles

RoyLPita
02-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I know that my rear brakes were paper thin on the inner right pad and my fronts were 2/3s gone. Those together caused an intermittent brake light light to come on.

sweetair
02-04-2007, 09:02 PM
How many miles are on these brakes?? It soulds like new pads might be in order. Brake fluid just doesn't disappear. Adding fluid will not cause air bubbles in the line. Really, the question is, how many miles since they were last changed?? Good luck...........

fastblackmerc
02-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Unless there is a leak in the system you won't "lose" any brake fluid, the fluid level will go down as the pads wear. I'd check for any kind of leaks, then take off the wheels and look at the pads, most likely you'll need to replace the pads. Do a search on brake pads and you'll find what others are using on their MM's.

Black03Marauder
02-05-2007, 08:55 PM
the pads came with the car 4 years ago...probably do need to get those replaced

EDIT: come to think of it, I got another question, how badly do worn out pads (or anything else I've worn out) effect braking?

03SILVERSTREAK
02-06-2007, 12:08 AM
If it was my car I would flush the system.

What he^^^ said...

mtenderenda
02-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Black03Marauder...
Instead of asking alot of questions.:nono:..And finding the hard way that you should of changed the pads sooner...HINT HINT accident....CHANGE THE PADS and flush the lines...

Paul T. Casey
02-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Brake light coming on during hard braking is an indicator that it's time for new pads. The drop in fluid is also an indicator that it's time, or there's a leak in the system. I would bet on pads. Even small leaks will quickly drain the reservoir, not to mention that somewhat unpleasant feeling of your foot hitting the floor at traffic lights.

MENINBLK
02-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Check your pads first.
Then check all the lines for leaks.

Our pads don't wear that fast unless you drive with 2 feet.
I've got 68,000+ miles and my pads are only about 1/2 worn.
I'm looking to get another 20,000 before I change them in the summer.

My Marauder will be 4 years old this HALLOWEEN...