PDA

View Full Version : Too darn quiet.

StevenJ
02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Just wanted to say that I got Rienhart's Cobra kit installed on my car last Wednessday. The kit it self is excellent. I really noticed a kick in performance at the mid to upper rpm range. The car breathes a hell of a lot better on the top end. However, I must say the noise level barely changed at all. It still sounds relatively stock and I even have 2 1/4 18 inch Magnaflow mufflers. Hm, I think I am going to have to go with 2 1/2 18 inch long glass packs after all. Anyway, I must say I am happy with the kit. I also think the car lost some weight. Thoose stock mainfolds and cats are freaking heavy! Gas milage seems a bit better to. It isn't that I want it to be a neighborhood waker. Just a little more roar would be nice. That is something I will work out in time but I really don't want delete tips. I think that would make the car too loud. Anyone else try glass packs on a Marauder? Just curious that is all.

mrjones
02-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Haven't put them on yet, but I"m considering the good old fashioned glass packs. I like the sound of the Magnaflows, and I've heard that internally, they're built like the old glass packs, but MUCH prettier on the outside.

When I was in HS, I had a new 77 GMC pickup that I put Thrush mufflers on, and really liked the sound of those.

Hotrauder
02-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Steven, just a thought..in 9 days there will be somewhere between 33 and 40 some MM at the picnic. everyone there will be willing to talk and demo exhaust systems, parts and pieces. I suspect that no where else on Gods green earth on 2/18/07 will there be a better situation for evaluating what you may want to do with your car. Chill for 9 days, bud. :D Dennis

KillJoy
02-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Steven, just a thought..in 9 days there will be somewhere between 33 and 40 some MM at the picnic. everyone there will be willing to talk and demo exhaust systems, parts and pieces. I suspect that no where else on Gods green earth on 2/18/07 will there be a better situation for evaluating what you may want to do with your car. Chill for 9 days, bud. :D Dennis

If you have a chance like this...I would wait :up:

KillJoy

mpearce
02-10-2007, 06:50 AM
I really don't want delete tips.

Why?

This actually might be the most inexpensive, and simple way to solve your "quiet" problem. If you want it just a little louder...I'd experiment with the delete tips. They were a very nice compliment to my flowmaster mufflers. When I chose mufflers, I went for sound only. I didn't particularly like the sound of the Magnaflows. Too muffled. I think you'd be surprised what a set of those tips will do for you. Now with my SW long tubes...you can forget quiet altogether! :D

Hope this helps.

-Mat

KillJoy
02-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Why?

This actually might be the most inexpensive, and simple way to solve your "quiet" problem. If you want it just a little louder...I'd experiment with the delete tips. They were a very nice compliment to my flowmaster mufflers. When I chose mufflers, I went for sound only. I didn't particularly like the sound of the Magnaflows. Too muffled. I think you'd be surprised what a set of those tips will do for you. Now with my SW long tubes...you can forget quiet altogether! :D

Hope this helps.

-Mat

:up:

A local Buckeye has Delete Tips extended a wee bit. That is his ONLY exhaust mod. It's got balls compared to a stock MM.

...and another member installed the Muffler Delete. :D

KillJoy

RVT04
02-10-2007, 09:35 AM
around town short trips in and out of traffic the throttle does the talking but extended drives at highway speed is where the "drone" gets really annoying
i really don't want any more noise in my life, and the cobra exhaust from dr bolted up to my stock mufflers suits me just fine.
:burnout:

Zack
02-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Have someone else drive your car and you will see just how loud it is.
Very deceptive from inside the cabin.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
02-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh God no. Glasspacks will probably flow worse than the mufflers you have on it now. This is deceptive since they are straght through. They are cheaply made and have very small pass tubes. A 2.25" glass pack only flows barely over 200 CFMS.

RedMerc04
02-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Have someone else drive your car and you will see just how loud it is.
Very deceptive from inside the cabin.
This is a great Idea if you have a close family member or friend that you can trust to drive the car. I was recently out with a few of my buddies when we saw my dad cruising in the marauder; I know i may have a slight bias ;) but I have to say that hearing a nice throaty V8 tone come from a car of the marauder's size and demenor is absoulutely awesome and I think that Its definately one of the most awesome cars around because of its blend of sound looks and just everything that is added together to get that marauder attitude. Oh and yes, It is much louder outside the car, Ive even heard stockers that sounded louder than I thought they would be

StevenJ
02-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Well after giving it some though I think I'll just leave it alone. The reason I don't want delete tips is because they give a lot of the bad noise, the raspy drone sort of thing that I really don't want. Anyway, my friend who begged me to install glass packs is going to be busy now for quiet a few weekends so oh well. He was going to help me do it since he has a welder. I'll be happy with out them.

ctrlraven
02-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Get some Flowmaster 40 series deltas and res-delete tips. It is a big difference from what it sounds like inside the cabin to listening to it from the outside. I thought my car was somewhat loud from the inside but once I heard it from someone else driving it I was like wow that's loud.

Just flowmaster 40's and res-delete tips
Inside cabin with windows down
GxARilJI2QE

Outside (kinda long but you really get to hear it at all throttle positions and distances)
1PMtU6feomQ

MarauderTJA
02-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Just wanted to say that I got Rienhart's Cobra kit installed on my car last Wednessday. The kit it self is excellent. I really noticed a kick in performance at the mid to upper rpm range. The car breathes a hell of a lot better on the top end. However, I must say the noise level barely changed at all. It still sounds relatively stock and I even have 2 1/4 18 inch Magnaflow mufflers. Hm, I think I am going to have to go with 2 1/2 18 inch long glass packs after all. Anyway, I must say I am happy with the kit. I also think the car lost some weight. Thoose stock mainfolds and cats are freaking heavy! Gas milage seems a bit better to. It isn't that I want it to be a neighborhood waker. Just a little more roar would be nice. That is something I will work out in time but I really don't want delete tips. I think that would make the car too loud. Anyone else try glass packs on a Marauder? Just curious that is all.

Steven, the delete tips will not m,ake the car any louder, just change the tone. I would recommend Flowmaster Super 40's. It will probably give you the sound (louder) you are looking for.

MarauderTJA
02-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Steven, Dennis makes a great point...Wait until the picnic in 6 days.

Hotrauder
02-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Steven, You may have some other faults but you have always been decisive:rofl: Dennis:rolleyes: :lol:

Cobra25
02-12-2007, 04:51 PM
I VOTE STEVENJ NOT BE ALLOWED TO CHANGE HIS MUFFLERS TILL AFTER THE PICNIC ! ANY BODY ELSE SECOND THAT ?

John Nero
02-12-2007, 05:19 PM
i think steven j is too loud already

MarauderTJA
02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I VOTE STEVENJ NOT BE ALLOWED TO CHANGE HIS MUFFLERS TILL AFTER THE PICNIC ! ANY BODY ELSE SECOND THAT ?

I second the motion:D

SC Cheesehead
02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Get some Flowmaster 40 series deltas and res-delete tips. It is a big difference from what it sounds like inside the cabin to listening to it from the outside. I thought my car was somewhat loud from the inside but once I heard it from someone else driving it I was like wow that's loud.

Nice sound!

Hey, do you or does anyone else know where I can get a god's head steering wheel emblem like yours?

SCCH

Hotrauder
02-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Nice sound!

Hey, do you or does anyone else know where I can get a god's head steering wheel emblem like yours?

SCCH

Cheese, Check with the guys at CAR Motorsports. they may still have some left. Good luck my friend. Dennis:beer:

ctrlraven
02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Nice sound!

SCCH
Thanks, I love my sound but want to go louder, when my wife goes out to work in the morning she will start my car for me and I back it in towards the house and when I hear it start up I know it's time to get out of bed lol.

Here ya go
CAR Motorsports eBay store has them, front grille and trunk ones left too
http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/a6/30/13_1.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Marauder-GodsHead-Chrome-Steering-Wheel-Emblem_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcateg oryZ33643QQihZ019QQitemZ805047 9295
only 4 left!

Funny thing is the picture they use for the steering wheel and front grille is of mine......I never auth anything, where are my royalty rights? lol
http://i14.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/a1/1b/d5_1.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Marauder-GodsHead-Chrome-Front-Grille-Emblem_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcateg oryZ33643QQihZ019QQitemZ805047 7561#ebayphotohosting

Edit: Found the post I made of the pics http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25782&page=4&highlight=gods+head+emblem post# 47

MarauderMarc
02-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Flowmaster Super 40s all the way with the tips. If you dont like the tips, then have your friend the welder switch them back. I personally dont like the magnaflows on the Marauder. Too high pitched and raspy. The Flowmasters sound like a true muscle car IMO.

Wait until the picnic and you will see.

ctrlraven
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Magnaflows sound like that on every vehicle and quiets them. I have 2 friends with same year mustang gt and exhaust mods are the same except for one has flowmaster and the other has magnaflows and without a doubt the one with flowmasters has a deeper growl at idle and to 3-4K rpm then just mellows out. Also I think having the tips moved back 1-1.5" past the rear bumper really helps lower the cabin drone noise.

mpearce
02-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Also I think having the tips moved back 1-1.5" past the rear bumper really helps lower the cabin drone noise.

This is a good move. I had this done on mine. Thats why no one sees me complaining about drone with my flowmasters. If you have an exhaust guy do your tips for you, make sure you go in and tell them exactly where you want them to be before they weld them.

-Mat