PDA

View Full Version : Water leak

Smokie
09-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Just went out today to get some things out of the MM. when I opened the rear drivers side door water fell to driveway, I noticed the bottom of the door gasket was all wet so I ran my hand across it and pulled slightly outward and about one, maybe two ounces of water fell out, so now I'm highly upset so I tried the other doors with the same results. We had torrentials rains for about a week but no rain today. I went and checked my 95 C/V and all foor doors were bone dry across the inside bottom. Is this normal ? I had my CrownVic. 7 years never happened. The doors and gaskets on both cars look identical. Anyone else noticed this???????????

Hack Goby
09-27-2002, 04:31 PM
My LX Sport also leaks at the doors but Michigan as been bone dry this year but also when I wash my Vic and lift the trunk after I get alot of water there too

03 Merc
09-28-2002, 05:08 AM
Smokie,

It rained here last night and I just checked my doors and do not have water any where except around the edges.. At the bottom this looks like it ran down around the door frame and is dripping off.. Is yours wet up by the scuff plates?

Smokie
09-28-2002, 12:22 PM
Yes all 4 scuff plates had water under them. What bothers me the most is how much water the lower part of the gaskets hold. They are hollow and perforated, I believe thats how the water gets in, holes are not at the bottom of gasket so water pooles inside gasket across bottom. Bummer !!!!!!!!

drobin
09-29-2002, 06:10 PM
Smokie, my MM hss the same problem you described, especially the left rear passenger door and not as bad at the right rear pass door. When it rains or after a washing, water pours from doors when opened. I commented on this earlier and your the first to respond. Don't know what to do since I believe this problem is inviting rust conditions sooner than later. We need to complain to dealer, etc. I agree with you that water is collecting inside the weather-stripping.

Donald

Smokie
09-30-2002, 02:41 PM
drobin. In regards to the water problem, this weekend I'm going to park my 95 crown/vic and the MM. next to each other on the driveway and blast them with the water hose. If when I open the doors the Vic is dry and the MM is all wet. The dealer will be hearing from me. Will let you all know the results.

Bowman9
08-06-2003, 02:20 PM
I too have discovered water collecting at the bottom of my doors after a rain and/or car washing.
Has anybody found a solution to this problem?
I am worried about rust forming on/in the doors.
I am also worried about water freezing in the doors come the winter months.

Later
Bowman9

drobin
08-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Bowman, I have not a clue on what to do, except for removing the weatherstrip completely. NOT! As stated previously, all four doors hold water but L/M should re-design the strip. Maybe we should try heating a large paper clip and poke little holes along the bottom edge... I should have been a scientist before I was born!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donald

sandman
08-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Check to see if the bottom of your doors still have the drain plugs in them, if so pry them out. This may solve your problems. This was discussed before you may want to search it. Only one of my doors had the plugs in it, the other three did not. Hope this helps. Water in doors=bad!

Russ

Bigdogjim
08-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by sandman
Check to see if the bottom of your doors still have the drain plugs in them, if so pry them out. This may solve your problems. This was discussed before you may want to search it. Only one of my doors had the plugs in it, the other three did not. Hope this helps. Water in doors=bad!

Russ

I had the same problem. Easy fix I let the dealer do it:D :D

Bowman9
08-07-2003, 08:02 PM
sandman & Bigdogjim,

I looked around the bottom of my doors but I did not find a "plug" I did find an oval opening towards the front and back of the door that has a thick clear tape over it. The tape looks like it has a puncture in it. But this is located lower on the door than the weatherstripping. The water seems to be collecting on top of and behind the weatherstripping.

Also while I was down there I noticed little or no paint on the inside of the doors. :mad2:
At this point in time I think car companies shouldn't even bother painting cars just sell them to you in a coat of primer at $5,000 less. Then you could go out and have them painted yourself in any color or style you want.

I love the car but the quality seems to be SH:censor:T

Bowman9

marauder307
08-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Just had some rain here in the STL area the other day...when I opened my driver's door, got a small flow of water out of it. Checked both front doors; there's a small rectangular hard rubber plug at the bottom front of both of them. Not bad out of p***enger front door, but a fair amount of water out of the driver's door. Rear door had small amounts, but upon inspection looked like it was just runoff from the top of the door, so no problems there. I'm single, and the only driver of my car, rarely if ever have p***engers, so at least I have an explanation for why the driver's door seems to leak worse than the others; but it still bugs me anyway. Tried shaking the door and didn't hear any sloshing noises, so at least that's good.

austin-tatious
08-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by sandman

I finally checked my doors. The driver's side does not have the plugs but the passenger's side does. I removed them and noticed that they are designed so when the plugs are in the drain holes there is a gap at the top and bottom to let air/water pass freely. The day before we had driven through torrential rains in AL and MS for a couple of hours. There was no accumulation of water on either side. I'm leaving them in the passenger's side. Maybe it will keep geckos and other creatures out of those doors.

drobin
08-15-2003, 10:03 AM
Right On, I left mine in but the weather strip is trapping water between it and the door. I don't think it's just the weather stripping holding all the water but a combination of these two conditions.....

Donald

03SILVERSTREAK
08-16-2003, 05:51 PM
As per Bowman9 Statement--Found Large Thick clear tape with
a small horizontal opening on the tape on all Four Doors .
Removed them all to prevent water buildup ...

Bowman9
09-07-2003, 07:42 PM
I removed the tape/plugs from the door, but I am still have water collecting inside my doors.
It seems to be between the rubber seals and inner kick plate.
So if I open my doors after a rain or carwash "splash" onto the ground.

I am not happy about this at all.
Bowman9

Bowman9
09-14-2003, 04:09 PM
I did a little trouble shooting on the water leak problem.

I took a piece of kids sidewalk chalk and rubbed it on all the rubber gaskets in all four doors.
I did the rubber attached to the door and the rubber that is attached the body door opening.
After it stopped raining on saturday (we had a number of heavy down pours) I went out to see what got wet.

The rubber that is attached the body door openings was fine not a drop of water leaked through.
But for the rubber mounted to the doors themselves thats another story.
Only the very top of the seals didn't leak, but where the windows started to curve down everything was soaking wet on all four doors. The seals are not tight/thick enough to keep the water out.

I guess it will be back to the dealer for me :(

jgc61sr2002
09-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Bowman9 - It is possible that the door seals have become softer with use. The doors could be adjusted for a tighter fit but new seals seems to be the way to go. Keep us posted. Good luck at the dealer.:(

RCSignals
09-14-2003, 08:02 PM
good diagnostic work there. Probably new seals will fix it, if not an adjustment at the latch might

Bowman9
09-23-2003, 03:04 PM
I took my Marauder to the dealer, to get my power window fixed, a new foglight, and to find a solution to my water leaking doors.

I get a call and they tell me that the power window just needed to lubbed up. Okay that sounds good I guess.

Then I asked about the water leaking in all four doors...

I was told that this is normal for this style car.

I said I could understand a little water getting in but there is alot more than a little water dropping to the ground when I open the door.

As long as the water is not coming into the cabin the rubber stripping is doing it's job.

After going back and forth for a while they agreed to look at it again tommorrow, seeing that they had to order the foglight.

Now I want to ask a question, does anybody in this forum have prefectly dry lower door sills after a good heavy rain? or do all door sills get some amount of moisture?

And oh hey, they are not a mod friendly dealer more about that in another post.

Smokie
09-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Marauder= heavy rain= wet sills everytime.
Crown/Vic= heavy rain= bone dry always.

Bowman9
09-23-2003, 08:41 PM
How do I go about starting a poll on this subject?
Weither or not you have a problem with water leaking into the door sills.

Bowman9
09-28-2003, 12:49 PM
As you can see from my earlier post I had absolutely no luck at my dealership in getting the door seal/water leak problem solved.

I was told that this is normal for this vehicle. :mad2:

So I took it upon myself it search for a solution.
As an experiment I purchased a few rolls of 3M double sided foam automotive tape. I removed the rubber seal around my drivers door a section at a time and ran the 3M tape around the door then replaced the rubber seal. The tape is now sandwiched between the door and the rubber seal. I left the other three doors alone (I guess you would call them the control group).

That night it rained cats and dogs, so the next morning I opend the doors starting with the control group doors.

Door one splash water, door two splash water, door three splash water, door four..... no water YEAH!!! :)
I am also going to talk to my local mehcanic about tighting up the latches for extra protection.

The only other thing I did was run a black magic marker over the edge of the tape while it was still on the roll, seeing that the 3M tape is white.

When I get the time and dry weather I am going to do the rest of my doors.

If you are having the same problem with water give it a try and let me know your results.

Good Luck

jgc61sr2002
09-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Bowman - Nice job. Tightining the door latches would probably give you the same result. After a period of time the rubber door seals compress causing the water to enter. IMHO.