PDA

View Full Version : 04 MM ECM Unlock fail during tune attempt

mm_micar
02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Purchased an Xcalibrator 2 from Alternative Auto. When I attempted to program with their tune, I got an "ECM Unlock Fail". How does one unlock the ECM. I searched this website, no mention of it (or I missed it). What gives?

Also, what's the story on the fuse pulling exercise? Are we worried about current draw on the 12v battery or some spurius voltage spike generated from an inductive device (fan, motor)when it turns on? To pull or not to pull...?

Zack
02-25-2007, 11:34 AM
You dont need to pull any fuses, just press yes when it asks if the fuel system is disabled.
Is there a chip in the car?
The xcal will not work if you have a chip

mm_micar
02-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Don't know if there is a chip. Where does one look to find it? Can it be removed and the XCal tune installed?

Zack
02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Don't know if there is a chip. Where does one look to find it? Can it be removed and the XCal tune installed?

Look under the driver side kick panel above the pedals.
If it has a chip, simpl remove it then load the tune.

Raudermaster
02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
As Zack stated it will be an aluminish colored box directly under the steering wheel.

mm_micar
02-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Well Gents, found and removed PCM module, hasn't been tampered with (opened). So no chip installed.
Contacted Alternative Auto, they suggested disconnecting battery and verify PCM code (MAV2 for 04 MM). If no go,return SCT Xcalibrator 2 to them for replacement.
Returning to them tomorrow.

Thanks.

RCSignals
02-27-2007, 01:24 AM
I thought the '04 PCM didn't have provision for a 'chip' ?