PDA

View Full Version : Mach 1 manifolds

Raudermaster
03-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Will '03-'04 Mach 1 manifolds work/bolt up to our car? If not, what's required to make them fit? Will they add some hp/tq?

RCSignals
03-02-2007, 11:02 PM
don't they breath from the right?

JMan
03-03-2007, 04:50 AM
don't they breath from the right?

I think he's asking about exhaust manifolds. I'm certain they'll bolt to the heads but I'd bet the catalyst end is different. I'm sure someone that has more than a clue will chime in! Also, would there be any gain? I doubt it. The Mach1 has the same engine and therefore similar headpipes. I know DR has the Cobra set-up. That apparently is different in some fashion.

Best luck,

J

RF Overlord
03-03-2007, 06:31 AM
^^^what JMan said^^^

Mach 1 manifolds will buy you nothing. Cobra manifolds, like the ones Dennis sells with his kit, are worth a few extra HP but will not bolt directly to the stock MM exhaust system.

Raudermaster
03-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Alright gotcha. Thanks guys.

RR|Suki
03-03-2007, 08:53 AM
^^^what JMan said^^^

Mach 1 manifolds will buy you nothing. Cobra manifolds, like the ones Dennis sells with his kit, are worth a few extra HP but will not bolt directly to the stock MM exhaust system.

I beg to differ, you'd be better of Getting the Ford Racing shorties, simple cobra headers aren't gonna do all that much. If you are gonna go through the trouble get the real ones, they are only like $300 without ceramic coating

94_302
03-03-2007, 09:49 AM
The only real advantage I see with the cobra manifolds is being able to put in a better mid pipe. Thats where I imagine the power you gain comes from. I don't know if Mach-1's and Cobras use the same exhaust manifolds or not.

StevenJ
03-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Will '03-'04 Mach 1 manifolds work/bolt up to our car? If not, what's required to make them fit? Will they add some hp/tq?

Told you, cough cough....

Ah just teasing.....

Raudermaster
03-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Ehh? :confused:

Raudermaster
03-03-2007, 11:20 AM
The Shorty's will probably be a pain though won't they to fit in? I mean, will they fit like the Kooks will, and be a tight squeeze, or will they slide right into place?

RR|Suki
03-03-2007, 11:55 AM
The Shorty's will probably be a pain though won't they to fit in? I mean, will they fit like the Kooks will, and be a tight squeeze, or will they slide right into place?

The shorties will need a shim on the engine mount most likely... however if you are just gonna get Cobra manifolds, you might as well get nothing...

KillJoy
03-03-2007, 02:09 PM
The only real advantage I see with the cobra manifolds is being able to put in a better mid pipe.

:up:

KillJoy

StevenJ
03-05-2007, 09:02 AM

KillJoy

That is BS. Yes you will get more gain with long tubes but the porting on the Cobra manifolds is MUCH better than our stock logs. Take a look at the Mach1/ Marauder/ Aviator manifolds next to the Cobra ones. You won't disagree.

RR|Suki
03-05-2007, 09:18 AM
That is BS. Yes you will get more gain with long tubes but the porting on the Cobra manifolds is MUCH better than our stock logs. Take a look at the Mach1/ Marauder/ Aviator manifolds next to the Cobra ones. You won't disagree.... are you on crack? yeah the Ford Racing shorties... the cobra "headers" aren't gonna do much, I dunno how this is rocket science, it's not like the Ford racing ones are expensive. Do yourselves a favor, get the ford racing ones, if you are gonna do through the trouble, it might as well be worth it

StevenJ
03-05-2007, 09:35 AM
... are you on crack? yeah the Ford Racing shorties... the cobra "headers" aren't gonna do much, I dunno how this is rocket science, it's not like the Ford racing ones are expensive. Do yourselves a favor, get the ford racing ones, if you are gonna do through the trouble, it might as well be worth it

No because I know someone who went through the trouble of getting shorties and I don't feeling having a nice set of headers hacked up or having to bend the steering linkage specially when the Cobra manifolds clear the linkage easily and do have much better porting than the stock logs. Again, I have the DR kit so do not try and put words in my mouth. Again, you will see a gain with this kit from the mainfolds and the x pipe. Yes Long tubes will net better results but for the money, it is a good kit.

KillJoy
03-05-2007, 09:48 AM
That is BS. Yes you will get more gain with long tubes but the porting on the Cobra manifolds is MUCH better than our stock logs. Take a look at the Mach1/ Marauder/ Aviator manifolds next to the Cobra ones. You won't disagree.

Actually, I HAVE a set of Cobra and MM Manifolds. Yes, the Cobras are a wee bit larger.

However, I will put $$$ on it that the majority of the power increase comes from the less restrictive X (or H) Pipe and Cats.

KillJoy

RR|Suki
03-05-2007, 09:50 AM
No because I know someone who went through the trouble of getting shorties and I don't feeling having a nice set of headers hacked up or having to bend the steering linkage specially when the Cobra manifolds clear the linkage easily and do have much better porting than the stock logs. Again, I have the DR kit so do not try and put words in my mouth. Again, you will see a gain with this kit from the mainfolds and the x pipe. Yes Long tubes will net better results but for the money, it is a good kit.

lol you can get gains from all over the place, I happen to still have the stock manifolds and on my old tune ran 440hp, the point is why waste money, if you are gonna change the manifolds change them to ones that are worth it, the only thing you have to do is shim the drivers side a 1/4" big deal, my point is good shorties can be had for a small amount of money, so why settle for less?

StevenJ
03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Yes and if you have the money for long tubes, all the better! I'm just saying, for the people who don't want to spend the extra $500 for long tubes, the DR kit isn't a bad one and the gains are worth it. BTW, shorties would also require custom pipes and are designed for the 01-02 Cobras not the 03s so there may be other issues, such as porting. I know Smokie has a set but if you want to get headers, just spend the money on Kooks. I doubt you'd see a serious gain from 03 Cobra manifolds to Shorties.

KillJoy
03-05-2007, 10:12 AM
:D

KillJoy

94_302
03-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I'd like to see someone bolt on a set of cobra manifolds to the stock exhaust system. Yes it won't bolt directly up but you could rig it. Then do a before an after dyno, I highly doubt there is a huge gain, I do believe it is mostly from the mid pipe. The cobra manifolds setup is a affordable exhaust setup, that is why I went out and pieced it together on my own cost was an issue. The Ford Racing shorties are not that expensive you can buy them used on corral or svtperformance pretty cheap. Then all you have to do is buy a mustang mid-pipe and have the exhaust shop extend the mid pipe a few inches. The realistic gains from the cobra manifolds are estimated around 15rwhp right? I know the 20/20 that Mac found was on a blown car so the numbers will be higher than a n/a. So around 15, that is around what the other n/a 4.6 4v mustangs get when they do a mid pipe, at least from what I have seen. So again I think the real beneft of the manifolds is the ability to have a better flowing mid pipe.

No matter what you chose you will gain power and make the car more fun to drive, thats all that really matters.

RR|Suki
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes and if you have the money for long tubes, all the better! I'm just saying, for the people who don't want to spend the extra $500 for long tubes, the DR kit isn't a bad one and the gains are worth it. BTW, shorties would also require custom pipes and are designed for the 01-02 Cobras not the 03s so there may be other issues, such as porting. I know Smokie has a set but if you want to get headers, just spend the money on Kooks. I doubt you'd see a serious gain from 03 Cobra manifolds to Shorties.

have you seen the ford racing shorties? I am saying for people who don't want to waste money, get the ford racing shorties, the cobra manifolds are a waste of time. It's very simple, shorties are for people on a budget, so why waste your money? you might as well light your money on fire

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/fms-m-9430-e465_w.jpg
vs.

http://www.scottwinger.com/i/exhaust2.JPG

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/23000084/Images/147/327297-640.jpg

you honestly think that those cobras will flow like the ford racing ones?

Raudermaster
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Are those shorties on the FRPP site? They can't be since I did not see them on there. How much is that set?

RR|Suki
03-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Are those shorties on the FRPP site? They can't be since I did not see them on there. How much is that set?

they are on FRP site somewhere, they are on summit too, without the ceramic they are like 300 or something. If you go to mustang forums you can prob get em for cheap cheap, like corral.net or modularstangs or something like that

StevenJ
03-05-2007, 11:46 AM
A few things, I have heard that the FRPP shorties tend to crack over time is this true?

Also, is this a straight up bolt on that won't require me to make changes to my x pipe? Just curious, that is all. It says it on the FRPP website that it won't work on an 03+ flange.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField= 5697

RR|Suki
03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
If you have already modified to fit the cobra manifolds it will bolt right up, if you are stock there will be adjustments anyway

RUSTY
03-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Cobra manifolds are 30 to 60 dollars on ebay, That is cost affective moding along with an x pipe of your choice.

crouse
03-05-2007, 08:11 PM
How did you handle the EGR tube with these?

have you seen the ford racing shorties? I am saying for people who don't want to waste money, get the ford racing shorties, the cobra manifolds are a waste of time. It's very simple, shorties are for people on a budget, so why waste your money? you might as well light your money on fire

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/fms-m-9430-e465_w.jpg
vs.

http://www.scottwinger.com/i/exhaust2.JPG

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/23000084/Images/147/327297-640.jpg

you honestly think that those cobras will flow like the ford racing ones?

RR|Suki
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
extend the connection

KillJoy
03-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Correct, and EGR Tube Extension is needed for BOTH the Cobra Manifolds, and Cobra Shorties.

Not sure about the Kooks or SW, though.

KillJoy

Raudermaster
03-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Cobra Manifolds are 30 to 60 on eBay? Really, I haven't been able to find ONE Cobra manifold in a longgg time.

KillJoy
03-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Cobra Manifolds are 30 to 60 on eBay? Really, I haven't been able to find ONE Cobra manifold in a longgg time.

I picked up a set locally for $25.

You just gotta know when and where to look ;)

KillJoy

Raudermaster
03-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Damnit, if I get this on my own, what exactly do I need? I know I need adapters, correct? Anyone got a PN on them? Anything else I should be aware of? I can get a good deal on a Bassani/cat/x-pipe setup and would definately put that on my car with the Cobra's.

crouse
03-06-2007, 07:50 AM
I've read other posts where this is not an easy task. The EGR tube on the DR kit has a slight bend in it. See attached. Exactly how did you extend yours?

extend the connection

KillJoy
03-06-2007, 08:00 AM
I've read other posts where this is not an easy task. The EGR tube on the DR kit has a slight bend in it. See attached. Exactly how did you extend yours?

It is not just an extension, but an adapter.

The Cobra EGR location is not in the same place as in the MM.

KillJoy

Raudermaster
03-06-2007, 08:14 AM
So that is a special piece designed by DR? So how would one go about making/finding a similar piece?

KillJoy
03-06-2007, 08:45 AM
So that is a special piece designed by DR? So how would one go about making/finding a similar piece?

Call Dennis?

KillJoy

94_302
03-06-2007, 08:59 AM

This is what I tried.
First rig did not work, it did not line up.
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78134.jpg

Second thing I did was this, I took the original egr nut from the cobra manifolds and had a machine shop cut it in half and weld in a 3 1/4in extension, that was too much so I took it back and he re did it to 3 in. Total cost was about $20. It was not a walk in the park getting it to thread in, but it eventually did and is nice and tight.
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78114.jpg

Final product:
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78115.jpg

I searched svtperformance and said I was looking for manifolds and found someone to sell me a set for about what Killjoy paid. He didn't show up to the local mustang meet for me to buy them, however at that meet I found someone who had a 04 cobra motor that they had pulled out of their car and he sold it to me for the same price I was going to pay. So it worked out.

This was my main reason for the cobra manifolds, I wanted the catted x-pipe on there. I originally was going to go with an o/r x-pipe however I was not sure if it would be too loud. As it is now I think it is a little too quiet, just a little louder than stock, however others have told me it's loud.
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2464/5076/78116.jpg

Oh and don't bother asking Dennis about the egr piece, I already tried while I was doing this and he said he would not sell it.

I do believe this is the cheapest way to get an exhaust gain for those on a budget, you won't get gains like kooks or stainless works, however your spending a fraction of the cost. Again the x-pipe is the key to the setup IMO.

O's Fan Rich
03-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Yep, the EGR adapter is a PITA!
My website shows my solution.

When the Stainless works headers I ordered ( thanks again Greg @FIT!) show up, I'm hoping the adapter is included.

Then I'll have manifolds, x-pipe and maybe the rest of my non-stock exhaust up for sale!
I'm looking to have a Grand 'ol time!

Raudermaster
03-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Keep me in mind Rich if you sell your current setup..

O's Fan Rich
03-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Keep me in mind Rich if you sell your current setup..

RedMerc04 has rights of first refusal, I already promised him... you'd be 2nd.

Raudermaster
03-06-2007, 10:40 AM
In that case knowing my luck I won't get them.

crouse
03-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I believe the biggest restriction in the stock exhaust is not in the manifolds but in the four cats and 2" tubing to the inlet of the mufflers. I've decided to keep the stock exhaust manifolds and then have a local shop install two Magnaflow 94000 series cats, fab up an X-Pipe then to a pair of Flow Master 40 Series Delta Flow mufflers all in 2.5" pipe.

Raudermaster
03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Are those the choice of cats for our cars is the 94000 series? I know people have Magnaflow cats, but I am unsure of what kind they're using.

crouse
03-06-2007, 11:17 AM
I contacted Magnaflow and they e-mailed me back suggesting the 94000 series for my Marauder. The only reason I'm using the Flowmaster mufflers is because a good friend of mine gave them to me. I'm thinking about using this one with the dual O2 sensor bungs.

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/displayuniversal.asp?universal =94066

O's Fan Rich
03-06-2007, 11:26 AM
In that case knowing my luck I won't get them.

Keep the faith! You never know. There were quite a few headers sold in the group by...

Maybe you should pm redmerc?

Raudermaster
03-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Is his full name RedMerc04?

KillJoy
03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Is his full name RedMerc04?

Yes, RedMerc04 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=3022).

KillJoy

crouse
04-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Yep, the EGR adapter is a PITA!
My website shows my solution.

Can you post the link for this? I found a used set of cobra manifolds from another member and I need to figure out this EGR tube.