PDA

View Full Version : Y2K7 daylight savings time bug

BruteForce
03-11-2007, 11:03 AM
vBulletin (the forum software) appears to have the Y2K7 daylight savings time bug. Its not showing the right time for me.

STLR FN
03-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Shows fine for me. What OS are you using. I have XP and no issues.

whoskal
03-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Everything seems to on the up and up for me as well

MM03MOK
03-11-2007, 02:45 PM
vBulletin (the forum software) appears to have the Y2K7 daylight savings time bug. Its not showing the right time for me.

Do you have the following selected in Edit Options?

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>In addition, you may set the appropriate option to allow for daylight savings time in your part of the world.
DST Correction Option:

</TD></TR><TR><TD><SELECT id=sel_dst name=dst> <OPTION value=2 selected>Automatically detect DST settings</OPTION> <OPTION value=1>DST corrections always on</OPTION> <OPTION value=0>DST corrections always off</OPTION></SELECT> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BruteForce
03-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Its fine now. Hmmm... Nothing changed at this end.

silver_2000
03-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Glad to see its ok.

FYI - most of the DST issues I have seen at work have been related to issues on the PCs OS not the device or the application ..

RoyLPita
03-15-2007, 03:40 AM
My P.O.S. computer at work is arguing with me over what time it really is here. I set ahead 1 hour ahead and it sets it back. :argue:

Zack
03-15-2007, 06:17 AM
Microsoft wrote a program to fix this.
Problem is, it didnt work.

Bigdogjim
03-15-2007, 06:19 AM

Verson 1.1 will be out any day to upgrade the fix........:rofl:

silver_2000
03-15-2007, 06:34 AM

What didnt work ?
For what operating system ? In managing approx 3000 windows machines the only ones we are having trouble with are the Win2k boxes and the XP boxes that havent been getting updates. For the XP boxes just get the updates and reboot and the issue goes away.

Here is quote from MS about Windows 2000 DST 2007 support that includes a link to a tool that lets you manually edit the DST table ...

Windows 2000 has passed the end of Mainstream Support and will not be receiving an update without Extended Hotfix Support.All versions of Windows can be manually updated using the tzedit.exe utility (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/8/a/58a208b7-7dc7-4bc7-8357-28e29cdac52f/tzedit.exe) or other techniques documented in Knowledge Base article 914387 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387), Online Webcast 930688 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=930688), and similar articles for other countries, which is the preferred method of remediation for any product outside of Mainstream Support. (The tzedit.exe tool allows you to create and edit time zone entries for the Date/Time settings in the Control Panel, especially for daylight-saving time).Its only $4000 for the hotfix under Extended support... :mad2::mad2:

MENINBLK
03-15-2007, 07:04 AM
There is a fix for Windows 2000, Windows Me and Windows 98.
It is NOT a Microsoft fix but it is free and it works.
I've run it on my Win2kPRO SP4 Notebook and my son's Win 98SE Desktop PC.

http://www.intelliadmin.com/Daylight%20Saving%20Fix%20Down load.asp

Don't try to fix Windows 95 because the DST is broken.

silver_2000
03-15-2007, 07:10 AM
There is a fix for Windows 2000, Windows Me and Windows 98.
It is NOT a Microsoft fix but it is free and it works.
I've run it on my Win2kPRO SP4 Notebook and my son's Win 98SE Desktop PC.

http://www.intelliadmin.com/Daylight%20Saving%20Fix%20Down load.asp

Don't try to fix Windows 95 because the DST is broken.

Using old unsecure OS is an invitation for trouble if they have an internet connection ...

As a corporate support customer we have access to the hotfix BUT that is like sticking your finger in a dam
The rest of the OS is unsecure and out of date ... We insist that the PC be updated or refreshed to keep the network secure

MENINBLK
03-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Using old unsecure OS is an invitation for trouble if they have an internet connection ...

As a corporate support customer we have access to the hotfix BUT that is like sticking your finger in a dam.
The rest of the OS is unsecure and out of date ... We insist that the PC be updated or refreshed to keep the network secure

The OS is as secure as your network and your users.
One visit to You Tube and you will see just how secure your computer
really is, REGARDLESS of what OS you use.

There are no out of date Operating Systems.
They support the hardware that was available during their time.

silver_2000
03-15-2007, 07:25 AM
The OS is as secure as your network and your users.
One visit to You Tube and you will see just how secure your computer
really is, REGARDLESS of what OS you use.

There are no out of date Operating Systems.
They support the hardware that was available during their time.

You are funny ....
And profitable ...

Any operating system prior to Winxp is no longer getting security updates.
Therefore its unsecure.... If its connected to the internet its at risk. NO matter who is on the keyboard.

There is nothing inherently wrong with YouTube.... Google is not in the business of hurting peoples PCs

Dr Caleb
03-15-2007, 11:40 AM
I manage 300+ servers, and if people didn't follow the instructions for NT4 and 2k, it won't work. You have to change the timezone manually, or through a script, and change it back. Otherwise TZ info is not re-read, and the patch doesn't do it's job.

We patched over 25,000 servers in the last couple months, and only 65 had problems, all were solved in 15 minutes or less.

We have to replace over $40k worth of Blackberries because they can't be patched. I swear RIM is just going *cha ching!*.

That is the key to all this - you aren't changing the time, you are changing the timezone! And when that timezone changes to daylight time is what this is all about. If your clock (or the clock you are synchronizing to) is set to GMT/UTC, then your computer or server will go back to the incorrect time because the timezone you are 'in' has not changed to Daylight time.

Edit:

And the real fun will come in April, where we see if this whole thing causes the time to go foreward again in two weeks.

martyo
03-15-2007, 12:50 PM
There is a loose nut in front of your computer.

silver_2000
03-15-2007, 01:23 PM
We have to replace over $40k worth of Blackberries because they can't be patched. I swear RIM is just going *cha ching!*.

SNIP

And the real fun will come in April, where we see if this whole thing causes the time to go foreward again in two weeks.
We only had 140 Blackberrys and all but about 6 took the patch just fine. You must have had some OLD hardware. The fact tha Rim waited till the last second to roll out patches and then updated them twice after that wasnt any fun.

Your point about April is a good one... We'll see.

Dr Caleb
03-15-2007, 01:38 PM
There is a loose nut in front of your computer.

You have no idea of the scope of the problems this 'energy saving initiative' has caused. Example: Exchange servers (the background servers for Outlook) were patched an 10,000 users appointments got bumped ahead 1 hour. Unless they were all-day appointments, the they got bumped ahead 1 day. Then the Windows patch was applied, and all future appointments got bumped again, and all appointments were emailed out again to all participants to re-comfirm them. Then the worstation patch went out, and everything returned to normal.

But all anyone hears is 'no significant problems occured'. No, but a million pain in the asses did.

Now, where in that tool for my nuts . . .

We only had 140 Blackberrys and all but about 6 took the patch just fine. You must have had some OLD hardware.

Most was only a couple years old. But, the customer is the provincial government, so they have no problem spending my money. :flamer: