PDA

View Full Version : Please! tranny help needed!!

sabtaj1
03-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Ok here is the deal. My car has been making a whining noise when cold for the past month. Checked the trans fluid and is fine with no metalic in it. I have a 3000 PI stall with the right fluid and a tci deep sump. It almost sounded like power steering whine when cold. And today it happened. Was driving home and was still whining and started slipping really bad. Cant even feel it shifting. I mean it is slipping bad. Do you think my torq converter is already going bad? Put it in the car 5 months ago if that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I cant afford very much due to a new baby. Please and thank you.

Blackened300a
03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I dont think there is anything in a torque convertor that would cause a whine. You sure its the tranny and not the rear?

Bradley G
03-11-2007, 05:24 PM
I think the trans is smoked.

sabtaj1
03-11-2007, 05:43 PM
You think the trans is smoked? I just cant believe it. From normal driving past 3 months. Wow. Didnt start doing it untill it was really cold for awhile. Man I am screwed. Does anyone know a ball park what it costs to get one rebuilt?

Motorhead350
03-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Why don't you look for a junkyard one?

cyclopsram
03-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Sounds like it is time for a professional diagnosis... fluid level, color, smell... drop the pan, takes 15 minutes and see whats in it.... don't mind the fishing bobber, that is standard equipment...and you can take it out... Is the filter clogged with clutch material... etc... .

Mad4Macs
03-12-2007, 04:08 AM
A whining "fluid squishing through a pump" noise preceded all three of my tranny failures.

sabtaj1
03-12-2007, 06:27 AM
The fluid level is full.. The fluid color and smell is fine. The filter was installed when I installed the PI converter along with a tci deepsump pan. I am gonna try and find out today. Wish me luck. Think I am screwed though.

sabtaj1
03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Ok, I am so f--n happy right now. Got a good price on a remanufactured one lik $1600. But I dont need it now. I fixed it. Well I dropped the pan in it. The damn filter somhow fell into the bottom of the pan. Got a new filter and filled her up and now she's fine. I have no idea how this thing fell off. All I know is it cost me 25 to fix it instead of 2000. Thanks for all of your input.

magindat
03-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Ok, I am so f--n happy right now. Got a good price on a remanufactured one lik $1600. But I dont need it now. I fixed it. Well I dropped the pan in it. The damn filter somhow fell into the bottom of the pan. Got a new filter and filled her up and now she's fine. I have no idea how this thing fell off. All I know is it cost me 25 to fix it instead of 2000. Thanks for all of your input.

Nice work. Now, save your pennies for an Art Carr level II to go with your stall converter!

sabtaj1
03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
how much is that? Becouse my trans is acting really weird. 1-2 is fine but keeps searchin back in forth in 3 to 2nd and overdrive down to third. Its weird. Guess I will have to get it checked out. Maybe something in the valve body came loose. Hope its nothing big.

Bradley G
03-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Great news! Now spend that money on more mods! Just Kidding!:baby: :high5:

magindat
03-13-2007, 05:53 AM
how much is that? Becouse my trans is acting really weird. 1-2 is fine but keeps searchin back in forth in 3 to 2nd and overdrive down to third. Its weird. Guess I will have to get it checked out. Maybe something in the valve body came loose. Hope its nothing big.
Disclaimer: I don't remember all exactly. I had ALOT of work done at once. I'm guessing. Call DR!

Dennis's web site says 500 bucks. I think that's the kit price and it's like 200 labor. I added a deep pan.
It's a core swap. So, you'll have shipping both ways and R&R at your local shop (shouldn't be over $500). I think mine took like 10 quarts of fluid (I can't remember exactly) with the new TC and deep pan, so figure that in.

I'd hazard a guess, that all said and done, you'd be out of it for about $1500.

Call DR and talk it over. I love mine. I've recommended it to others and they love it, too.