PDA

View Full Version : Which shift kit/valve body to buy???

USMCmarauder
03-13-2007, 11:05 AM
I am putting my 100 shot of NOS in this week and think a valve body might be in order to save my tranny. Any suggestions. Through my tune, Lidio firmed up the shifts, but I'm looking for a little more. Thanks

Zack
03-13-2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

RF Overlord
03-13-2007, 11:37 AM
If I read Zack's reply correctly, he's telling you to "do the J-Mod", and I agree totally.

The J-Mod was developed by Jerry Wroblewski, one of the original designers of the AODE/4R70W, and no one knows more about this transmission than he does. The J-Mod costs practically nothing, yet is far superior to any of the commercially available shift kits.

Mike
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Didn't Jerry chime in this morning? Maybe you can PM him for more info.

crouse
03-13-2007, 11:57 AM
If I read Zack's reply correctly, he's telling you to "do the J-Mod", and I agree totally.

The J-Mod was developed by Jerry Wroblewski, one of the original designers of the AODE/4R70W, and no one knows more about this transmission than he does. The J-Mod costs practically nothing, yet is far superior to any of the commercially available shift kits.

I must be missing something. I don't see J-Mod in the link.

RR|Suki
03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
I must be missing something. I don't see J-Mod in the link.

3rd bullet point down

magindat
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
The J-mod will firm up your shifts for next to free. It's well documented.

IIUC, Art Carr has a 'kit' including the right size bit and everything.

If you're not scared of working on your own tranny, the Level II kit with J-Mod, clutches, stubshaft, clip, and tailshaft lube circuit is only like 500 bucks.

fastblackmerc
03-13-2007, 01:38 PM
So you'd recommend the J-Mod for a 2004 MM tranny?

juno
03-14-2007, 05:06 AM
Darrin at
http://bc-automotive.com/html/complete_4r70w_valve_body_kit. html

He will custom make a valvebody for you to whatever power level/shift aggressiveness you want. You can then swap out your stocker for it.

Glenn
03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Too expensive for what you get!!!

Glenn

Jerry
03-14-2007, 07:18 PM
I obviously would recommend the J-mod (do you know I hate that phrase). What I really need to do is make an update to the article for Marauder specific vehicles. Some of the things I recommended when I wrote that, I was able to get into production at Ford.

What needs to happen is this; we need someone with a stock Marauder trans, a hoist, and few days to try some different things. I'm sure Dennis would offer his shop.....any volunteers?

j

Zack
03-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Hey Jerry, remember how much fun we had rebuliding those Ttransmissions in your garage that day?

You might like to know I no longer have a problem with other people's trans parts inside of mine!!

FordNut
03-14-2007, 07:44 PM
I obviously would recommend the J-mod (do you know I hate that phrase). What I really need to do is make an update to the article for Marauder specific vehicles. Some of the things I recommended when I wrote that, I was able to get into production at Ford.

What needs to happen is this; we need someone with a stock Marauder trans, a hoist, and few days to try some different things. I'm sure Dennis would offer his shop.....any volunteers?

j

I believe Glenn is interested in a tranny upgrade. His is still stock and it has a Trilogy s/c on it. I would volunteer but I already have a LenTech.

JMan
03-18-2007, 05:58 AM

j

Jerry,
Volunteer number one! I have all the necessary equipment at my disposal to do this and document it (Including before and after high-speed data-logging). I also have 3 cars with 4R70W trannys to work with (I.E. I wouldn't be put out having one down). If you'd like to discuss it, PM me your phone number and we'll see if it is mutually feasible. I live in the Tampa Bay region of Florida.

Thanks,

J

Raudermaster
03-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips makes J-Modded valve body's for only $200 bucks if you're afraid to work on your own. I'm not sure if he went up in price though. I got my J-Mod for my '95 a long time ago, and it was well worth it.

Svashtar
04-01-2007, 12:43 PM
The J-mod will firm up your shifts for next to free. It's well documented.

IIUC, Art Carr has a 'kit' including the right size bit and everything.

If you're not scared of working on your own tranny, the Level II kit with J-Mod, clutches, stubshaft, clip, and tailshaft lube circuit is only like 500 bucks.

Now I'm confused. (Not at all unusual!) I just had the full Level II trans kit from Dennis installed. Tailshaft lube circuit? I thought that was an extra mod that I missed, and should have had done at the same time.

I still have to get the braided line and fittings installed though to get the tailshaft lube mod going though, correct?

Thanks much,

Norm

magindat
04-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Now I'm confused. (Not at all unusual!) I just had the full Level II trans kit from Dennis installed. Tailshaft lube circuit? I thought that was an extra mod that I missed, and should have had done at the same time.

I still have to get the braided line and fittings installed though to get the tailshaft lube mod going though, correct?

Thanks much,

Norm

Norm, I dunno. I ordered my Levell II, discussed it with DR and when I got there a built tranny was waiting and we traded cores. Call DR for details. I think you gotta weld the bung on the tailshaft or swap tailshfts to get the lube mod. It may have been extra, I don't remember. I had a lot of work done all at once!

jim geary
04-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Not to be to dumb, but what exactly is a J-Mod?

fastblackmerc
04-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Not to be to dumb, but what exactly is a J-Mod?

See post #2.

rumble
04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
the J-mod (do you know I hate that phrase).
j

Since this was named after you and we all consider you to be the final authority on our transmissions I am
sure we would defer to your wishes, tell us what you prefer.