PDA

View Full Version : Where/how to get a tune

murphypeople
03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Yup...if you have to ask you should not be asking.

I am wondering where I can get a "tune." I asked my guys at the Indy shop I have been going to for many years. They won't mess with any such changes. Maybe after hours on their own stuff...just not the average customers like me.

Can you get a tune to use non-premium gas? Or get better gas mileage? Or are tunes only for performance seekers.
T:uzi: :stupid:

Drock96Marquis
03-13-2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Many here use Lidio/Alternative Auto

You can get your tune for 87 octane, 89, 91, 93 and beyond ;)
Gas mileage typically increases slightly, but it may take a while to offset the cost. Most get a tune for better performance, or following other upgrades.

sailsmen
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I have been running a Reinhart Tune since 2,500 miles.

RF Overlord
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
murphy, as the others said^^^, a tune from either Dennis or Lidio will be a night-and-day change to your car. They both have a vast amount of experience with this motor, so call and talk to them.

Just remember that a tune for 87 octane fuel won't see nearly as much of a performance gain, but it will still correct the lousy factory shift schedule in the transmission.

Mad4Macs
03-14-2007, 05:21 AM
A LOT of Marauder owners got a tune, then found that the best thing about it was how it corrected Ford's goofy shift-scheduling.
What these guys do for your transmission makes it worth the price.

ckadiddle
03-14-2007, 06:26 AM
A LOT of Marauder owners got a tune, then found that the best thing about it was how it corrected Ford's goofy shift-scheduling.
What these guys do for your transmission makes it worth the price.
Yup. Premium fuel tune is for perfomrance and will free up more horsies for ya, lower octane tune will allow you to run lesser octanes without harming the car.

Jerry
03-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Just my 2 cents...

You already answered what would be my first suggestion. It is almost always better to have someone local work on your car. It's far easier if you want changes done.

With that said, both Lidio and Dennis are friends of mine. They are both very capable of taking care of you and whatever needs you have. They both have a ton of experience with these cars.

Some people prefer Lido over Dennis, some prefer Dennis over Lidio. It's a matter of personal preference. Call them both on the phone and do an interview and see whose personality meshes better with yours.....

I'll post about shift schedules one day and why you go what you got from Ford. It's all about comprimises.....

j

whd507
03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
please do, I'm curious about the stock shift schedule, and how different mods affect it.

MENINBLK
03-14-2007, 09:10 PM
How many of you have an 87 octane tune for a Marauder ???

Dennis Reinhart
03-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Yup...if you have to ask you should not be asking.

I am wondering where I can get a "tune." I asked my guys at the Indy shop I have been going to for many years. They won't mess with any such changes. Maybe after hours on their own stuff...just not the average customers like me.

Can you get a tune to use non-premium gas? Or get better gas mileage? Or are tunes only for performance seekers.
T:uzi: :stupid:

Both Lidio and I sell tuning here, call me any time I will be glad to answer any of your questions and I am sure Lidio will do the same.

SlkMerc
03-14-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Many here use Lidio/Alternative Auto

You can get your tune for 87 octane, 89, 91, 93 and beyond ;)
Gas mileage typically increases slightly, but it may take a while to offset the cost. Most get a tune for better performance, or following other upgrades.

I have a lidio tune now and I love it. Here in Cali I can only get 91 octane. Lidio redid my tune for that and I asked about a tune for 89. He said our cars are NOT meant to run lesser octane or detonation will blow the motor up. This has been told to me by many of you here, you cannot run less than 91 octane fuel.

FordNut
03-15-2007, 05:12 AM
I have a lidio tune now and I love it. Here in Cali I can only get 91 octane. Lidio redid my tune for that and I asked about a tune for 89. He said our cars are NOT meant to run lesser octane or detonation will blow the motor up. This has been told to me by many of you here, you cannot run less than 91 octane fuel.

There is nothing about a tune that will reduce the compression ratio, it is 10:1 and that is one reason to run premium fuel.

That being said, my wife's Marauder is stock and we ran 87 in it for about 60k miles. It started to develop a little tip-in knock at low rpm/high load situations. We had it cleaned up with some kind of combustion chamber cleaner from BG and it fixed it. We run premium now, it's not worth risking the motor for a few cents (or a couple of bucks these days) per tank.