PDA

View Full Version : Blower oil change

HwyCruiser
03-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I spent some quality time with the Marauder yesterday and installed an Addco front swaybar. I also changed the engine and blower oil while I was at it. Since I was taking pics of the swaybar install for a review writeup, I snapped a pic of the funnel I use to catch the blower oil...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/jdomino/Marauder/pcoil.jpg

The funnel is rectangularish and just wide enough to wedge in between the fan housing and the tensioner. It also has a screen in it to catch the drain plug in case I drop it and any chunks that might fall out of the blower. Good news is no chunks so far! Just a little bit of crap on the drain plug magnet.

After the first 500 mile break-in blower oil change the interval is a every 6000 miles thereafter. The P1-SC is rated for 6 ounces, but I've only been able to get about 80% of the bottle in before the oil registers midway up the dipstick. The bottle warns of damage to the gears and seals if you overfill it so I just go by what the dipstick says.

I just wish the engine oil was this easy to change. Boy what a mess!

Mike
03-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Nice write up! I'll use your funnel suggestion when I get #26 installed. Does it come with a drain plug magnet or did you get one yourself, and if so where did you get it?

MarauderTJA
03-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Make it easier on yourself. I bought a small vacum pump, attached a smaller hose and place down the fill hole. Sucks the oil out without the mess or hassel. Pump costs about $20.00 and is available at any car parts store.

magindat
03-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Call me naive...

What good does a magnet do for an aluminum blower?

TooManyFords
03-19-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm just guessing but I bet the actual gears in there are forged steel for strength.

john

MarauderTJA
03-19-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm just guessing but I bet the actual gears in there are forged steel for strength.

john

Your right John.

Marauderjack
03-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Gears are straight cut steel (noisey but strong) and not sure about the bearings (maybe ceramic)......only the housing and the impeller are aluminum!!:beer:

JD......

I checked mine today and had to remove about 2 ounces to get the level down to the 3/4 mark on the black hickey on the dipstick??:confused: I don't know why but I just thought it took a full bottle (6 ounces) when it is drained....Guess that is why I've had a bit of oil under the blower ever since it was new!!:argue:

I degreased it all around and will see what happens this week!! I have about 700 miles to cover.:D

Thanks for the tip!!:bows:

Marauderjack:burnout:

HwyCruiser
03-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Nice write up! I'll use your funnel suggestion when I get #26 installed. Does it come with a drain plug magnet or did you get one yourself, and if so where did you get it?

The drain plug comes with the magnet on it. It's a 5/8" socket on the bottom of the blower. Changing the oil is a five minute job, unless you're like me and have to make a big production out of everything.

Just make sure you use the lightweight ProCharger blower oil on install and change it after the 500 mile break-in. You should have gotten a few extra bottles of the blue blower oil with the kit.

HwyCruiser
03-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Gears are straight cut steel (noisey but strong) and not sure about the bearings (maybe ceramic)......only the housing and the impeller are aluminum!!:beer:

JD......

I checked mine today and had to remove about 2 ounces to get the level down to the 3/4 mark on the black hickey on the dipstick??:confused: I don't know why but I just thought it took a full bottle (6 ounces) when it is drained....Guess that is why I've had a bit of oil under the blower ever since it was new!!:argue:

I degreased it all around and will see what happens this week!! I have about 700 miles to cover.:D

Thanks for the tip!!:bows:

Jack,

I've read a couple of places online that overfilling the oil will cause excessive oil pressure which blows past the pulley seal (?). Unless you're taking the blower off and shaking all of the oil out, I'm guessing it probably retains the last ounce or so. Just watch for consumption. I've never had to add any after the initial fill.

MarauderTJA
03-19-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't really know what you guys are talking about here with the amont of oil:confused: . For the last 7 years I have used my vacum pump with the Procharger blowers. I pull out almost (just a tad short of filling the bottle back up) exactly the same amount of the entire bottle I put in. I checked it the last two times I changed the blower oil. Had 32K on the P1SC I had in my Mustang and 17K on the P1SC I had in the Marauder before sending it back to get upgraded to the D1SC. Just changed it a month ago for the 500 mile check with the D1SC. Same results and I NEVER had a problem.

HwyCruiser
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't really know what you guys are talking about here with the amont of oil:confused: . For the last 7 years I have used my vacum pump with the Procharger blowers. I pull out almost (just a tad short of filling the bottle back up) exactly the same amount of the entire bottle I put in. I checked it the last two times I changed the blower oil. Had 32K on the P1SC I had in my Mustang and 17K on the P1SC I had in the Marauder before sending it back to get upgraded to the D1SC. Just changed it a month ago for the 500 mile check with the D1SC. Same results and I NEVER had a problem.

Tom,

I'll have to get me one of those vacuum pumps... I'm all for anything that makes life a little easier. Can you post a brand and model #?

Mike
03-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks HwyCruiser!! I haven't opened the kit just yet (I'll wait till after KY) but after I've used the oil given in the kit, do I need to use a synthetic type or use just what Greg sent?

HwyCruiser
03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks HwyCruiser!! I haven't opened the kit just yet (I'll wait till after KY) but after I've used the oil given in the kit, do I need to use a synthetic type or use just what Greg sent?

I'd stay with the synthetic ProCharger oil. I still have one more bottle and ProCharger is right down the road from me anyway.

Jack, do you order your oil through Greg or direct from ProCharger?

Marauderjack
03-20-2007, 03:11 AM
JD,

I ordered my last from Dave.....6 bottles!!:D

MarauderTJA
03-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Tom,

I'll have to get me one of those vacuum pumps... I'm all for anything that makes life a little easier. Can you post a brand and model #?

Sure. No name listed on mine, but I will stop by the auto parts store today and get one for you.

tmac1337
03-20-2007, 06:08 PM
I've just used up my last bottle of oil. Since the drain is on the bottom of the blower, how could any oil not drain out?

I just put the entire contents of the small bottle back in. I thought thats why they sell the oil in the rediculously small bottles, so you don't overfill.

I just ordered another 3 online for $28.00 plus shipping.