PDA

View Full Version : Muffler change

Kramer
03-23-2007, 01:37 PM
I know this has been discussed before but ...

I would like a bit more of a throaty sound from the exhaust (as heard from the outside).

I don't want an excessive drone that will make it annoying to drive...

The choices I know about are Magnaflow and Flowmaster.

Which is a good choice (or are there others) and how should they be mounted to minimize drone in the car.

I live in Montgomery County Maryland....is there a good place here to use?

TIA

Marauder_Santa
03-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I had the Flowmaster 40's with stock exaust for over a year and liked the sound and performance. It also increased my gas milage. I would still have that system today if I didn't get a super deal on a used system from a fellow member that upgraded from the shorty headers to kooks.

Good luck.

Eric91Z
03-23-2007, 03:03 PM
I had the Flowmaster 40's with stock exaust for over a year and liked the sound and performance. It also increased my gas milage. I would still have that system today if I didn't get a super deal on a used system from a fellow member that upgraded from the shorty headers to kooks.

Good luck.

+1. I have had mine for about a month now with tips extended a like the sound a lot - for just a muffler change. Definitely more "throaty" and I have no drone issues what so ever.

whoskal
03-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I've had the super 40"s for quite some time now .........love em

JonW
03-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Definitely Borla. My car has a little rumble at idle, a nice deep growl under load, and is very quiet at cruising speed. And they don't have the harsh sound or drone like Flows have.

fastblackmerc
03-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Go with the Magnaflows, just had my complete exhaust system done by the world-renown exhaust shop in Marietta, Ga. FMS Jet-Hot coated shorty headers, custom made T-304 2 1/2" stainless steel down pipes, 2 x Magnaflows hi-flow cats, custom made T-304 2 1/2" stainless steel X pipe, 2 x Magnaflows(18") polished stainless steel mufflers, exiting my MM via the OEM resonated tips which are extended about 1" past the factory bumper cutout. There is NO drone at any speed (had it up to 100MPH a few times today on the way home :D ). The MM is quiet until you press the GO :burn: pedal, then you'll see heads turn :awe:. And to make it even better I averaged 23.4mpg on the way home as opposed to 19.2 on the way down last Saturday.:banana2:

IMHO go with the Magnaflows, the Flowmasters don't sound right on a 4.6L.

Hotrauder
03-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Yes, there is a grand place to go. Dennis:2thumbs:

Herco23
03-23-2007, 07:33 PM
+1 with JonW.

StevenJ
03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I have Magnaflows on my car. I also have Cobra mainfolds and highflow xpipe with 18 inch unresonated stainless steel tips. The tips are slightly extented about 1/4 inch past the bumper. You can't hear the car at all at idle inside or out but the car produces a loud WHOOOOM sound when you press the go pedal. It does have a good bit of drone at certain rpms, usually when crusing around 1000 -1500.

Overall, I'm happy with the set up especially now that I got that exhaust leak fixed. If you just want the noise go with Flowmaster. I'd also look at Hooker Aerochambered mufflers too. They cost the same and produce a similar sound. If you want a sleeper car where you don't want a loud idle but a nice sound under WOT, look at Magnaflow and Edlebrock SDT mufflers.

ckadiddle
03-25-2007, 08:33 AM
It all depends on personal tastes. My local muffler guy and one hinted at above both prefer magnaflow for length of life. I am happy with mine, I live in a real quiet neighborhood. I can slide in quietly when I want to, or sound like Mario Andretti in the two blocks between the stop sign and the stoplight. My next door neighbor's little Ford truck has louder mufflers on it as far as startup and idling out the driveway. I drove for about six months with NO mufflers, that was fun and sounded like an old school big block, but droned badly on a highway trip. I am sure my neighbors were relieved when I had something put back on. It got annoying at times around town, and I couldn't SNEAK anywhere. heehee You may end up trying several setups before you get what you like. If I was single and noone else ever drove the MM I sould probably have some good old fashioned Cherry Bombs on it. That's what I grew up hearing on some of my Dad's cars. It all boils down to personal taste. If you do an improved air intake, mufflers and a tune, I can guarantee you will enjoy the difference from stock.

ckadiddle
03-25-2007, 08:38 AM
It all depends on personal tastes. My local muffler guy and one hinted at above both prefer magnaflow for length of life. I am happy with mine, I live in a real quiet neighborhood. I can slide in quietly when I want to, or sound like Mario Andretti in the two blocks between the stop sign and the stoplight. My next door neighbor's little Ford truck has louder mufflers on it as far as startup and idling out the driveway. I drove for about six months with NO mufflers, that was fun and sounded like an old school big block, but droned badly on a highway trip. I am sure my neighbors were relieved when I had something put back on. It got annoying at times around town, and I couldn't SNEAK anywhere. heehee You may end up trying several setups before you get what you like. If I was single and noone else ever drove the MM I sould probably have some good old fashioned Cherry Bombs on it. That's what I grew up hearing on some of my Dad's cars. It all boils down to personal taste. If you do an improved air intake, mufflers and a tune, I can guarantee you will enjoy the difference from stock.

You could have fun like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T33ZZgpR-BM
Thats me at MVIV race day. Short clip, but you see how they sound under heavy load. :D

RedMerc04
03-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Here is a good clip of Flowmaster Delta 40's and Delete Tips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2OhIuGtpqU I dont think the flowmasters sound out of place on the 4.6, i think they make it sound like it has more displacement. IMO the magnaflows can be too raspy

Blackened300a
03-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Cherry bomb vortex mufflers. They were featured in a hotrod magazine article recently that they flow the same as a 4" straight pipe.
I have them on my car with res-delte tips and they have a great rumble at idle and no drone while cruising

heres a clip

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/th_DSCN0149.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/?action=view&current=DSCN0149.flv)</EMBED>

Marauder386
03-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Ford Racing Perfomance Dual-Modes...thats how I roll...

:cool:

Drock96Marquis
03-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I thought another member found his FRPP dual-modes self-destructed (the internal valve) after just a few years?

I can't remember who, I want to say Defyant.

Marauder386
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
I havent had that problem with mine and I am not very light-footed with RoadPig One...

:cool:

CanadaMarauder
03-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I want mine up on this post too hahaha.Super 40's with res. delete tips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox-9bYKd8z8

mrjones
03-26-2007, 08:12 AM
To save my fat butt from having to crawl under the car, what type of muffler does the MM use? Is it offset in/offset out like the Mustang, or offset in/center out, center in/out, or what?

RedMerc04
03-26-2007, 01:32 PM
offset inlet center outlet. Both 2 and 1/4'' for easy install

FiveO
03-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Another vote for the Magnaflows. Using the ones that came with my full Kook's setup.

Bit loud under full throttle with the 13.5lbs of boost to the Trilogy...but then again...thats what I wanted :)