PDA

View Full Version : Header concern.....

MADRODER
03-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Just noticed today that I have a small hole on the header pipe near the flange,:mad: NOT GOOD!!! The car came with some Kooks but replacing these isn't cheap at all. I was just wondering if there is any other type of headers I can use on the MM. Are FMS shorties acceptable? The ticking sound coming from the exhaust is really starting to bother me!! Any suggestions will be great

sicilianmarquis
03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
eh from what i heard the ford shorties are crap, u only would gain like 5 horses at the flywheel from them. hooker is pretty good

HwyCruiser
03-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Take it to a muffler shop and have the hole filled?

MADRODER
03-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Take it to a muffler shop and have the hole filled?

I guess that's probably the cheapest way to do it, but how long will that last?

glassman99
03-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Kooks are long tubes. Call Kooks. BYW FMC Shorties produce almost as much HP as the Kooks. THEY AREN'NT CRAP

HwyCruiser
03-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Is the hole in the weld? If so, it was just a bad spot in the weld. A good welder should be able to clean it up and weld it back up no problem. If it's a hole in the collector it can probably be patched fairly easily since it's accessible. Odd though, I haven't heard of any quality issues with Kooks. Either way it should be a fairly easy and inexpensive fix. Get 'er done and forget about it.

MADRODER
03-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Kooks are long tubes. Call Kooks. BYW FMC Shorties produce almost as much HP as the Kooks. THEY AREN'NT CRAP

I actually e-mailed them yesterday but I still haven't heard back...

MADRODER
03-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Is the hole in the weld? If so, it was just a bad spot in the weld. A good welder should be able to clean it up and weld it back up no problem. If it's a hole in the collector it can probably be patched fairly easily since it's accessible. Odd though, I haven't heard of any quality issues with Kooks. Either way it should be a fairly easy and inexpensive fix. Get 'er done and forget about it.

The hole is actually near the flange attached to the heads (2nd tube underneath) can that be fixed?

Glenn
03-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Look below in the left lower corner you will see what crap does with a 4450# MM and that is with a bad driver.

Glenn

HwyCruiser
03-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Ahhh, I was thinking the collector flange... wrong end, sorry. Boy, that's a tough one. Find out who's the ace exhaust shop in your area and get an expert opinion. Pulling the header out is not going to be fun.

MADRODER
03-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Ahhh, I was thinking the collector flange... wrong end, sorry. Boy, that's a tough one. Find out who's the ace exhaust shop in your area and get an expert opinion. Pulling the header out is not going to be fun.

Well, I think a very, very, very nice dinner is on it's way....Hey Honey can we spend 1,000 on new headers for the car that we just bought?
Reply......:argue:

DEFYANT
03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, I think a very, very, very nice dinner is on it's way....Hey Honey can we spend 1,000 on new headers for the car that we just bought?
Reply......:argue:

Dont fret, I get the same reply all the time. :rolleyes:

fastblackmerc
03-23-2007, 06:44 PM
eh from what i heard the ford shorties are crap, u only would gain like 5 horses at the flywheel from them. hooker is pretty good

Guess you haven't heard much.... just had FMS shorties installed along with a complete exhaust system. Nice looking, well made, thickest flange I've seen on a header.....

glassman99
03-23-2007, 06:55 PM
What does crap do Glenn? Ya gotta be s'cific...1st gear or 2nd?

RCSignals
03-23-2007, 06:57 PM
The hole is actually near the flange attached to the heads (2nd tube underneath) can that be fixed?

should still be able to be welded up. how big is the hole?

fastblackmerc
03-23-2007, 07:05 PM

Any competent welder could do it for you.

MADRODER
03-23-2007, 07:12 PM
should still be able to be welded up. how big is the hole?

1/2 the size of an eraser head maybe a tad smaller.....

Hotrauder
03-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Go to a good muffler shop that bends and welds pipe and get it fixed. Stop procrastinating and get it fixed, Exhaust leaks are not a good thing. It is not a big deal to fix if you go to a competent shop. Dennis:rolleyes:

MADRODER
03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Thx guy's....going to a local pro exhaust shop in town on the weekend to see what I can do before I fork over a grand for new headers....cheers!!

sailsmen
03-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I drive 20K+ per year. I went with the Cobra Exhaust Manifolds.

They offer good performance and some sound. They are very durable.

Obviously they are not going to have the performance or sound of headers.

Good luck.

FordNut
03-24-2007, 06:12 AM
Should be an easy fix at a good welding shop. They're probably stainless so you'll be better off to find a shop with stainless wire or a TIG. Worst part will be pulling the header off and re-installing it.

Constable
03-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I dunno what all the fuss is. The headers are not that much of a pain to remove... it's initial install that's a pain. If you pop that one out, it'll go back rather quick, because you'll know what to do (in reverse).

I had a small hole develop in my Kooks collectors. They warrantied it no problem. I drove there, they welded it back up and tested it for any more leaks. Done in less than a day.

I chose to have them do it because I had the time to kill and I lived close. If I was pressed for time, I would've just done it myself.

Point is, there won't be any reason to buy a new set of headers. The fix is simple. Pull the header, weld it, replace, enjoy.