PDA

View Full Version : Washing underhood?

JonW
03-25-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't think my Marauder has ever been washed under the hood. What's the best way to do this? Will a garden hose be OK, or will it get water where it's not supposed to be?

fastblackmerc
03-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Get some engine cleaner from your local FLAPS, read the instructions carefully. Don't shoot a stream of water in or at ANYTHING electrical!

MM2004
03-25-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't think my Marauder has ever been washed under the hood. What's the best way to do this? Will a garden hose be OK, or will it get water where it's not supposed to be?

I have used a shower nozzle on a garden hose about 1 - 2 times per year.

After using a bottle of Mean (Simple) Green from FLAPS.

DO NOT use a jet stream on anything under the hood, and never on a hot engine.

Mike.

Cobra25
03-25-2007, 05:26 PM
I use Simple Green also.( 1/3 simple green & 2/3 water solution) And I have one of the Cleanest EngineBays you'll ever see.

Mike
03-25-2007, 05:28 PM
x3 on the Simple Green!

KillJoy
03-25-2007, 05:37 PM
1 - Open Hood.

2 - Soak EVERYTHING in Simple Green.

3 - Let sit for 5 Minutes.

4 - Use a low pressure stream of water to hose everything off.

5 - Let dry for a few, and wipe off the last few water spots.

6 - Close Hood.

7 - All Done :D

:up:

KillJoy

sailsmen
03-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Be careful some versions of Simple Green are not AL friendly.

Try the windex and plastic care.

murphypeople
03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
checkout pages 174 & 175 of the owners manual. They show which componets not to "get wet" and provide general guidelines.

T

MENINBLK
03-25-2007, 06:39 PM
NO DETERGENTS WHAT-SO-EVER....

COLD ENGINE IS A MUST...

I use a Pressure Washer with NO DETERGENT.

Wash everything under hood.
Wash engine completely.
Wash fender liners and firewall.
Wash grille, radiator,and condensor.

Wipe dry everything you can reach.

Start engine and let it warm to operating temp.
The heat of the engine will dry everything you can't reach.

Our harnesses are water sealed and weather resistant.
There is nothing to worry about if you use NO DETERGENTS.
Detergents will get into the seals and dry them out.
When the seals dry out and crack, moisture can get into the
harnesses and connectors causing oxidation and contamination.
Plain water will not harm the seals at all.

Gre8one7
03-25-2007, 06:40 PM
We put simple green on all the cars that we have worked on at work, works well

hal510
03-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Why shouldnt you wash it while its hot?

michael ward
03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Why shouldnt you wash it while its hot? you could crack your engine block..

Drock96Marquis
03-26-2007, 12:20 AM
John, your MM has the coils covered up so washing the engine is much more 'fool-proof' than your CV was

DL04
03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
I use an old wash mitt and whatever soap and water left over from washing the outside of the car. Wash everything under the hood rinse it off with a garden hose and take it for a blast on the hiway, never had a problem. Dont use a pressure washer -could force water into places it shouldn't be.

Paul T. Casey
03-26-2007, 09:06 AM
you could crack your engine block..

Why don't they crack when you drive through a puddle?

MENINBLK
03-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Why don't they crack when you drive through a puddle?

Because the engine block is shielded.
It takes a lot of water to get up there.

magindat
03-27-2007, 05:06 AM
Black Magic 2 in 1 engine degreaser and shine.

Get 2.
Soak the hell out of the engine per label instructions.
Rinse with light mist of water from above.
Let dry.

Check for areas you missed.
Do it again.

Engine will be super clean and shiny with little to no effort.

SID210SA
03-27-2007, 05:38 AM
The easiest way....I get my car washed every week and while the car is getting dried I take a clean damp rag and wipe everything down that I can reach.....it only takes a few minuets maybe 7 minuets or less and it is always show worthy.....I get lots of compliments on how clean I keep the engine compartment. No scrubing, no build up....real easy.

Mike Poore
03-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Many years of experience, here. I use Simple Green, but in the old days had my handy bottle of engine degreaser. (can't recall the name) Also have used the soap or engine cleaner stuff at the car wash on a warm engine, sometimes while it was running. Now I have a pressure washer, and use Simple Green, regularly. It's not necessary to get so close you blast the tags and such off the engine, just direct the spray with enough power to clean off the dirt.
In all these years, I've never had a problem, of any kind, using these methods. Other than removing the oil filler cap and spraying soap into your engine, what's there to hurt? I mean, every time you drive in the rain, water gets into the engine bay, a lot of it. Just look at the driver's side fender well, there's nothing to keep splashes out on that side.

I watched Dennis Reinhart soap then spray his engine at Horse Cave last weekend. If anyone ought to know if it's harmful, it's him. :twocents:

hal510
03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Yeah I call BS on an engine block cracking, because it got sprayed with a hose.

Drock96Marquis
03-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Many years of experience, here. I use Simple Green, but in the old days had my handy bottle of engine degreaser. (can't recall the name) Also have used the soap or engine cleaner stuff at the car wash on a warm engine, sometimes while it was running. Now I have a pressure washer, and use Simple Green, regularly. It's not necessary to get so close you blast the tags and such off the engine, just direct the spray with enough power to clean off the dirt.
In all these years, I've never had a problem, of any kind, using these methods. Other than removing the oil filler cap and spraying soap into your engine, what's there to hurt? I mean, every time you drive in the rain, water gets into the engine bay, a lot of it. Just look at the driver's side fender well, there's nothing to keep splashes out on that side.

I watched Dennis Reinhart soap then spray his engine at Horse Cave last weekend. If anyone ought to know if it's harmful, it's him. :twocents:

Hi-pressure water increases the risk of moisute intrusion on electrical connectors. NOT the same as rain/road splash. As the vehcile ages, connector seals wear out and the chance of a small short or connector corrosion increases.

If you want a nice engine bay, just clean it regularly. Just some regular car wash soap on an old wash mitt once every week or so will do wonders in KEEPING the engine bay clean after an extensive detailing.

Warm water with 'regular' simple simple green and a little car wash detergents works well for cleaning the plastic surfaces. Use assorted brushes for tricky spots.
Make sure to cover the altenator with a plastic bag before spraying with water. I like to use a tooth brush w/ soap to clean the front of the alternator before covering it up.

Don't use any chemicals on your hood liner. Just use car wash soap with a nice soft body brush. This will clean it up in no time, without damage. Lightly rinse off.

make sure to remove the radiator sight shield and clean the header panel and underside of cover. I like to wax the paint on header panel after I clean it. It gets pretty dirty under there!

The block, FEAD and engine cradle are the hard part. If yorurs is very dirty a commerical degreaser will make things easier. Meguiar's detailer Safe degreaser works well, and will not cause other issues with surrounding platic trim. Again use brushes to scrub the dirt off. The timing cover will require the most scrubbing but once your done it will look nice!

After I get everything all clean, I use a synthetic polish (ie Zaino Z-5pro, or Klasse AIO+Glaze) on all the painted underhood surfaces (don't forget the underside of the hood!) and the engine cradle. Using a polish on your aluminum crossmember and timing cover will help keep it clean longer, and resist corrosion and oxidation. If you already have oxidation on your aluminum pieces, use an aluminum/metal polish, then go over that with a paint polish to 'seal it in'

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/499035/fullsize/sta70201.jpg

Embassy
04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Well said, Drock.

From my recent post on CVN:

...post a few pics of a long overdue cleaning of the 2001's engine bay.

Before:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/501571/fullsize/engine-before.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/501574/fullsize/hood-before.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/501575/fullsize/before.jpg

After:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/501579/fullsize/after-cls.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/501580/fullsize/hood-after.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/501581/fullsize/engine-after.jpg
Afterwards, the Vic was washed and all exterior surfaces were treated to AIO mixed up as a quick detailer. The results are fantastic.

Observations:

Spring is not a good time to detail anything when pollen, blooms, seeds, and everything else are in the air. Makes it difficult to keep that clean surface clean. Add to this a gusty wind.

Worker bees and wasps can be repelled from your shiny engine bay and you with brake parts cleaner.

Klasse AIO continues to impress me even after all these years. It removed grime on the hood's underside that had been on there since who knows when.

Meguiar's Engine Kote is good but its claim to be non-sticky is false. Don't use any rags/towels prone to lint.

A leaf blower is still the best way to remove water, especially around injectors and COPS. Plus, the sight of using a leaf blower on your engine bay always brings amusing looks from the neighbors.

The rest of the pics can be viewed here. (http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/12078/56247)

Wish I could have had the time to do this before the Kentucky meet.

murphypeople
04-07-2007, 11:09 PM
What method is used to apply the Simple Green. Spray bottle or foaming wash "gun?" I have a foam gun and would plan to use that. Nice low/no pressure application.

T:stupid:

larryo340
04-08-2007, 04:27 AM
Hey Embassy, I see that looking at your engine that you still have the full plastic intake manifold. You should keep an eye on it, because it will (not if)leak from the front crossover it is just a matter of time. Hopefully it will not be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I thought FORD had a program on the P71s for replacement of manifold. You should see if someone can run the OASIS report on your VIN to check.

Embassy
04-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Hey Embassy, I see that looking at your engine that you still have the full plastic intake manifold. You should keep an eye on it, because it will (not if)leak from the front crossover it is just a matter of time. Hopefully it will not be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I thought FORD had a program on the P71s for replacement of manifold. You should see if someone can run the OASIS report on your VIN to check.

Thanks for the head's up but believe me, I know all the details. I'm just waiting on it to go sometime this year since it is still covered by Ford.

David Morton
04-08-2007, 09:58 PM
(deleted by David Morton) Reason: MM03MOK doesn't like what I have to offer to this site. So long guys.

BirchMarauder
04-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I'll take my car to a pressure wash car wash place, leave the engine running, spray it down with DEGREASER that I've put into a pressure sprayer (no soar fingers from pulling the trigger 1000 times). the degreaser only sits on the engine for as long as it takes me to put the change into the machine to turn on the pressure washer and then I blast the engine. again, the engine is running the entire time. I've done it with the engine off, but it scares me that it won't start when I'm done. I never use a garden hose. too much concentrated water. you don't want to drown your engine, just want to clean it.

MADRODER
04-15-2007, 03:05 PM
A quick spray of degreaser, quick rinse, dry with a leaf blower and add my final touches with Meguiars quick detailer and presto........

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2848/8845/160763.jpg