PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Too Loud

crouse
03-28-2007, 07:30 AM
I recently had some exhaust work done by a local shop. They did an excellent job, but now it's too loud for me. At low RPM and light throttle it's extremely loud inside the car and at highway speeds there is a definate drone. And at around 2500 RPM it kind of sounds like a V6. I think the X-Pipe attributes to that.

Here's what I've got. I kept the stock exhaust manifolds into two 2.5" Magnaflow cats, (part# 94066) one on each side, then to an X-Pipe then to Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow mufflers. After the mufflers I kept the stock 2.25" tubing out to the stock resonator tips.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar set-up and changed to a quieter muffler and if so, what brand and model.

Anyone want to buy a set of Flowmasters? Cheap?

sabtaj1
03-28-2007, 07:33 AM
I may be interested in the flowmasters. Pm me the info. Thanks

KillJoy
03-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Did you extend the Tips out 1.5"???

Many say that helps w/ the drone a LOT.

KillJoy

KillJoy
03-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Also, I know that at least 1 person had a Custom H-Pipe fab'd up. I guess they really liked the sound it produced.

KillJoy

fastblackmerc
03-28-2007, 07:44 AM
I recently had some exhaust work done by a local shop. They did an excellent job, but now it's too loud for me. At low RPM and light throttle it's extremely loud inside the car and at highway speeds there is a definate drone. And at around 2500 RPM it kind of sounds like a V6. I think the X-Pipe attributes to that.

Here's what I've got. I kept the stock exhaust manifolds into two 2.5" Magnaflow cats, (part# 94066) one on each side, then to an X-Pipe then to Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow mufflers. After the mufflers I kept the stock 2.25" tubing out to the stock resonator tips.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar set-up and changed to a quieter muffler and if so, what brand and model.

Funny.... I have almost the same setup and mine sounds great! No drone at any speed and quiet at idle.

Have the FMS shorty headers instead of the stock manifolds.

What does your X pipe look like? Mine is below.

Are your tips extended past the bumper? Mine are out about 1 1/2 to 2" past the bumper. That makes a difference if it drones or not.

Also is a pic looking thru the Magnaflow.

crouse
03-28-2007, 07:52 AM
I'll try and take some pics of the system this afternoon or this evening. The tips are in the stock location. I may have them extended when I make the muffler change. I'm thinking about the Flowmaster 50 Series.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/50_delta.html

It's a 3 chamber design instead of the 2 chamber for the 40 Series.

KillJoy
03-28-2007, 07:54 AM
I'll try and take some pics of the system this afternoon or this evening. The tips are in the stock location. I may have them extended when I make the muffler change. I'm thinking about the Flowmaster 50 Series.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/50_delta.html

It's a 3 chamber design instead of the 2 chamber for the 40 Series.

You might want to consider moving the Tips BEFORE the muffler swap.

KillJoy

jdando
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
it's too loud for me.

They are not too loud, you are too old:lol:

j/k

jeremy

crouse
03-28-2007, 08:41 AM
What did you say sonny?

crouse
03-28-2007, 09:32 AM
I may be interested in the flowmasters. Pm me the info. Thanks

Thanks for the offer. A local member has already offered to buy them.

Curt

Raudermaster
03-28-2007, 09:56 AM
For me, the 50's are too quiet. My father has them installed on his F-150. It does sound great though. Has a nice, deep rumble, quiet at idle, but is plenty of loud when you get on it.

O's Fan Rich
03-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Funny.... I have almost the same setup and mine sounds great! No drone at any speed and quiet at idle.

Have the FMS shorty headers instead of the stock manifolds.

What does your X pipe look like? Mine is below.

Are your tips extended past the bumper? Mine are out about 1 1/2 to 2" past the bumper. That makes a difference if it drones or not.

Also is a pic looking thru the Magnaflow.

Wow... that exhaust looks grand!
Stock tips, huh?

I have the x pipe and the tips extended and no drone. But I'll be H piping after the headers go on. And now maybe delete tips, too. Think I'll go the Haggis route and have stock tips and delete tips made up with flanges so I can swap at will.

crouse
03-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Would an H-Pipe take out the V6 sound I hear at around 2500 RPM?

magindat
03-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I listened to several x-piped cars and felt also like they sounded v-6 ish or ricerish at certain RPM ranges. I opted for a 2.25" custom fabbed H pipe on 2.5" piping to magnaflow 14" mufflers. Stock tails and res deletes extended about 1.5-2".
It's loud. It's mean. Several who have heard say it's the best they've heard on an MM. Yep, it drones a little. Not to worry. The stereo is loud enough to overcome!
The moral, lose the x-pipe in favor of an H and extend the tips before changing mufflers. I think you'll be glad you did.
I think the H really drops the frequency of the sound. It sounds lower and deeper than an x.
Place the H as close as practically possible to the headers/manifold for best sound. (according to my man Mario, who hasn't dissapointed me yet!)

crouse
03-28-2007, 10:17 AM
That's good advise. I think I'll try that first before I replace the mufflers. Thanks, Curt.

fastblackmerc
03-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow... that exhaust looks grand!
Stock tips, huh?

I have the x pipe and the tips extended and no drone. But I'll be H piping after the headers go on. And now maybe delete tips, too. Think I'll go the Haggis route and have stock tips and delete tips made up with flanges so I can swap at will.

Yes it is a Grand system isn't it? I wanted to go with the flanged tips but the Grand Master said it wasn't worth the money.

magindat
03-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Would an H-Pipe take out the V6 sound I hear at around 2500 RPM?

Oh hell yes!

ctrlraven
03-28-2007, 01:17 PM
H-pipe all the way!!! I'll never go x-pipe. Def. try extending your tips out 1"-1.5" PAST the opening of the rear bumper tip cutouts. It made a big difference in the drone, at cruising speed I barely have any. I have stock manifolds, 2 stock cats, 2 cats removed (man does it sound like a 03/04 cobra now), flowmaster 40's 2.25' piping from mufflers to res-delete tips. I notice once it gets warm the harshness sound calms down some but I like the loud V8 sound.

I also had no muffler side pipes off the h-pipe on for awhile now talk about drone lol. Had them on for no more than 3 weeks and had to take them off cause I got a headache every time I drove but everyone told me it sounded awesome.

O's Fan Rich
03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Yes it is a Grand system isn't it? I wanted to go with the flanged tips but the Grand Master said it wasn't worth the money.

Hmmmm... the Grand Poo Bah spoke that way?
May re think... but then again, I have bucked authority before.:rolleyes:

It would make it easier to polish them up..... right?

Marauderjack
03-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I have done a LOT of experimenting and there is a descriptive word that describes the "X" pipe sound I had......ZIPPY.....I told Logan his exhaust sounded too "ZIPPY" and he never talked to me again...may have actually been a GOOD thing!!??;)

The "H" pipe is MUCH deeper sounding with the old school burble!!:beer: :bows:

The best way to place the cross over pipe is to spray paint on the tubes that make up the "H" and drive the car.....place the cross over where the paint has stopped burning off......Or just place it as far forward as possible like we did!!:rolleyes:

If anyone is interested I will be glad to take photos and measurements of my setup.....I have also emailed sound clips to several members and would be glad to send them to anyone who can post them here if interested??:confused:

Marauderjack:burnout:

RCSignals
03-28-2007, 01:48 PM

It's your car, your money, do it/have it done the way you want it.

Merc-O-matic
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM

You got to be kiddin'?

Gotta Love It!

crouse
03-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I guess I would try and make it easy on my installer and have install the H-Pipe where the X-Pipe used to be. I'll take some pictures and post them tonight to see what you guys think about the placement.

O's Fan Rich
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
It's your car, your money, do it/have it done the way you want it.

Not me Duncan! I just follow blindly those who speak to me!
I've NEVER had an original thought in my thick head!:D

RCSignals
03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Not me Duncan! I just follow blindly those who speak to me!
I've NEVER had an original thought in my thick head!:D

Are you sure?

O's Fan Rich
03-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Are you sure?

What ever YOU say! ;)

Stranger in the Black Sedan
03-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Flowmasters are awful, those are your problem. The one thing they are good at is making tons of droning that is louder inside the car than out. Plus they flow horrible compared to a good aftermarket muffler.

RCSignals
03-28-2007, 03:13 PM
What ever YOU say! ;)

go for it Rich :drive:

fastblackmerc
03-28-2007, 08:04 PM

Too hard to make them line up and look good.

ctrlraven
03-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Flowmasters are awful, those are your problem. The one thing they are good at is making tons of droning that is louder inside the car than out. Plus they flow horrible compared to a good aftermarket muffler.

So Flowmaster mufflers aren't a good aftermarket muffler? Man I knew something was wrong when I got mine installed and started to grin uncontrollably. :D

RCSignals
03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Too hard to make them line up and look good.

Not if it's done right.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
03-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Look at flow bench #s, they don't lie.

crouse
03-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Look at flow bench #s, they don't lie.

Can you recommend a better muffler?

magindat
03-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I REALLY like my Magnaflows, however, they will be louder yet...

KillJoy
03-30-2007, 09:44 AM

If you are wanting a quieter Muffler, I HIGHLY recommend THESE (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/7/3/4/uc11.JPG).

;)

KillJoy

crouse
03-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Too late. They are in the garbage and I really don't want to go back down to 2" inlet.

CanadaMarauder
03-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Have Flowmaster super 40's Moved the tips out and WAY better !!!

crouse
04-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Anyone got any pics of the tips moved out? Just curious what that looks like.

sabtaj1
04-01-2007, 10:03 AM
If you are wanting a quieter Muffler, I HIGHLY recommend THESE (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/7/3/4/uc11.JPG).

;)

KillJoy

:lol: :puke:

StevenJ
04-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I REALLY like my Magnaflows, however, they will be louder yet...

The 14 inchers maybe but the 18 inch ones are real quiet. Eitherway, I think he meant 'Blastmasters' just create noise. Magnaflows are quiet a idle but produce a good tone when you are on the throttle without too much drone inside. Heck, I could even here any drone on my set up with my Cobra system until I put on some aftermarket tips. Even then, it is minimal and I don't have my tips extended more than 1/4 inch past the bumper.

fastblackmerc
04-01-2007, 10:11 AM

;)

KillJoy

Exactly.... if you want a quiet exhaust system don't change what came on the car.

1stMerc
04-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Ordered Aero Turbines and they came Thursday. These are straight thru like Mags. Just had them installed today. WOW!!! definately a performance improvement over the 18" Magnaflows and Delta 40 Flows (SOP). But with that improvement you do get more noise, but i imagine on par with the 14" Magna's and two chamber Flows. But i still have the stock cats, but with delete tips. These do not have any damping material what so ever, and you get the usual drone at around 1500-2000. Once you get past that point they are as quiet as any other and no drone on the highway. But lord a mighty when you mash that pedal it sounds like a turbo spooling up and all hell breaks loose.

A bit pricey, but me likee...

18" Magnaflows for sale. pm me if interested.

merc406
04-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Try taking the helmet off or buy another type of one. :lol: