PDA

View Full Version : Report on my new Pioneer Avic-D2 double DIN head/nav

GreekGod
03-31-2007, 04:50 PM
I just got home with my newly installed Pioneer AVIC-D2 (double DIN) satellite navigation/AM-FM radio-amplifer/back-up camera & display/CD player/voltmeter/G-meter/accelerometer/digital & analog clock/digital & analog speedometer/slope-meter/angle-velocity meter/+ other options I didn't add. Yes, it really does all those things, and more.

John's installation man Andy worked on it from about 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. Don't even think about installing one of these, unless you are experienced at such a complicated process. There is a satellite antenna/receiver that goes on the dash and a back-up camera above the license plate.

Andy also installed a JL Audio 500/1 sub-amp & cables/wires I had. I think he said he set the "gain" at about 6, to match the 2 volt output of the Pioneer. The amp. does not go to 11.

I am also (now) using a JL Audio sub-box with dual 12" speakers, sitting on the trunk floor. It has a duplex plug speaker wire from the amp, so I can easily swap out the speaker box, or remove it for carrying bulky items/human bodies/mob hits, in the trunk.

Andy discovered my left rear 5"x7" Boston Acoustic was 'blown" (wonder if it was the "Non-Stop Disco Vol. 1" on the drive down?), so he installed 2-6"x8" Pioneer TS-D801P "Premier" speakers on the rear deck.

I programmed the trip home from South Haven to my home in Wyoming (south side of Grand Rapids). There is the voice of a nice lady that lets you know when you have a turn or exit ahead, and also just before the right time to turn (or angle at a "Y" in the road), right or left. You can actually observe an arrow on the navigation map move as you drive, depending on the adjustable resolution of the map display, and your speed. It is truely & amazingly accurate. If you stop for gas, it doesn't scold you, and it re-calculates the remaining trip after you start the engine.

The wide angle back-up camera comes "on" full screen when in reverse. You can also have it on 1/2 the screen when in drive/driving. Objects are closer than they appear. It will be interesting to see how well it works after dark, in winter, or rain.

This kind of technology is a long ways from a tube A.M. car radio, that took 2 minutes to warm-up and play.

sabtaj1
03-31-2007, 06:11 PM
any pics? sounds cool.

Pops
04-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks for coming down Dale and I hope I gave you a good tour of the area.

burt ragio
04-02-2007, 10:06 AM
With all those functions it should take you a month of fiddling around before you become comfortable with your new toy. Keep your eyes on the road and enjoy. I wish I had one.

magindat
04-02-2007, 10:08 AM
I just finished DR's back-up camera, amp, sub and changer. This was add-on to the Avic-D2 and Sirius I did a few weeks ago. I also provisioned for an AV input to be installed next visit!

So to add to the list of features:
CD changer controller
Sub output
AV input
Sirius
XM

Yes, all this and at once. Also, the D2 can control a TV tuner and a DVD changer.

Pops
04-02-2007, 10:28 AM
The question is can Dennis?

KillJoy
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
The question is can Dennis?

No.

:shake:

:D

KillJoy

GreekGod
04-03-2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/IMG_00841.jpg

GreekGod
04-03-2007, 04:47 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/IMG_00851.jpg

GreekGod
04-03-2007, 04:50 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/IMG_00901.jpg

sabtaj1
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM
That is one sweet set up. Thankx for the pics!

GreekGod
04-27-2007, 08:09 AM
...If anyone is thinking about the extra expense of a backup camera option with a Pioneer Nav unit, take my word for it and don't think twice, get it.

The wide screen rear view is outstanding, especially if you back into a parking spot at night. You get a surprisingly good view with the lumination from the tail lights, and depth resolution is excellent. The view allows backing up very close to objects, and adds a huge safety factor if you have children, tricycles, or pets that might be behind you when backing. The extra expense for said reasons alone is really priceless (I worked with a man that killed his young son while backing).

Driving (forward) with the rear view "on" means you get a split screen, with a map showing about 1/3 of the screen on the right side, and the "view" showing 2/3 on the left. Rain causes big splotches on the screen, but they go-away when it stops raining. It is worse at night

I don't drive my MM very much, so I'm still learning how to control (AVIC D-2) the many features. It is complicated, but with daily use I think most drivers will learn quickly.

The JL Audio sub-amp has an optional socket for a remote bass-boost that my neighbor thought I should have added, but it is totally unnecessary. The Pioneer has many EQ, crossover, boost, and adjustment options. I usually run my controls "flat", especially with CD's. The bass from the twin 12" JL sub cabinet, combined with the power of the 500/1 amp, is very strong.