PDA

View Full Version : I've got a great rear end

snowbird
04-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Hi,

I just went to a specialized shop to install the 31T splines forged Moser axles I had on a shelf since Greg's last year GB along with a new 31T Auburn locker, Timken bearings and Ford Motorsport girdle. The install went really good, a little bit over 2 hours for 300$ CDN flat (including the Timken bearings and oil). They had a 7 feet rod to push off the old bearings out through the diff in seconds. They know their stuff.

Previously, I had the 4.10 and a 28T Auburn since about 2½ years and it performed flawlessly but some more strenght were in order. The original soft axles were starting to get bad on the bearing seats when we dismantled them so I was just in time, timing wise at 53 000 klms.

I know Auburn locker might not be the best choice by some of you guys taste but I never previously had trouble with them.

Now, FYI, the good news about it is that Auburn is offering a so called "D REX" exchange program on their Internet site. So instead of paying 480$ something for a brand new 31T locker, they send you a remanufactured one (new clutches, bearings, splines etc) in exchange of the old one, for 125$ including shipping. IMO a really great deal to grow up to 31T.

Cheers ! :beer:

MarauderTJA
04-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi,

I just went to a specialized shop to install the 31T splines forged Moser axles I had on a shelf since Greg's last year GB along with a new 31T Auburn locker, Timken bearings and Ford Motorsport girdle. The install went really good, a little bit over 2 hours for 300$ CDN flat (including the Timken bearings and oil). They had a 7 feet rod to push off the old bearings out through the diff in seconds. They know their stuff.

Previously, I had the 4.10 and a 28T Auburn since about 2½ years and it performed flawlessly but some more strenght were in order. The original soft axles were starting to get bad on the bearing seats when we dismantled them so I was just in time, timing wise at 53 000 klms.

I know Auburn locker might not be the best choice by some of you guys taste but I never previously had trouble with them.

Now, FYI, the good news about it is that Auburn is offering a so called "D REX" exchange program on their Internet site. So instead of paying 480$ something for a brand new 31T locker, they send you a remanufactured one (new clutches, bearings, splines etc) in exchange of the old one, for 125$ including shipping. IMO a really great deal to grow up to 31T.

Cheers ! :beer:

Congrats Yvon! I am running the same axles and nothing better than beffing them up. Cool on the exchange deal. Looks likeyoumade out well;) .

burt ragio
04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Nice job on the upgrade. I hope you don't drive in snow with such a setup.

Bluerauder
04-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Did anyone else come in here hoping for pics?? Come on MarauderMark and Defyant .... fess up !! :rofl:

merc
04-03-2007, 11:56 AM
I was looking for pictures but gave up waiting. :lol:
Hi,

I just went to a specialized shop to install the 31T splines forged Moser axles I had on a shelf since Greg's last year GB along with a new 31T Auburn locker

Auburn Locker ? what's the part number ?

snowbird
04-03-2007, 02:43 PM
The Auburn part number is 542054, a direct fit for 31T splines.

About winter, I do used it regularly for years without problem. A must IMO when you have only 2 wheel drive as you don't want to get only one wheel spinning.

As for the ones looking for rear end pictures, it seems that my title haven't catch a lot of fish yet ... :) Waiting for defyant to catch up. ... .

merc
04-03-2007, 03:59 PM
The Auburn part number is 542054, a direct fit for 31T splines.

Ford 8.8" Pro Series(31spl #542054), All Ratios, '83-present. That is not a locker, it's a limited slip cone style differential. It should be fine for your application. You just got to get the terminologies correct. I have the 28 spline version and will be selling it soon. Good luck and burn rubber :burnout:

HwyCruiser
04-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Since it was Yvon, I just figured it was his Canadian to English translator acting up again. :P

Hey, speaking of Canadians...

T5KufaaOPwI

snowbird
04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
OK Merc, thanks for clarifying. Highwaycruiser, thanks for the vid !!